Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What armor do you use for riding in Vanson Model B

estranged

New in Town
Hey friends!

Some time ago I bought a Vanson model B leather jacket for riding a motorcycle, and I am about to buy a motor bike but I have a dilemma.

I know Vanson model B is really thick and great moto jacket, but it does not have built in armor and not even pockets for armor. So how do most riders ride in it?

One option I see is wearing an armored shirt like this forcefield shirt, but it's another 200$ on top of expensive jacket, and it also will be quite warm to wear a t-shirt + armored shirt + jacket for anything other than winter.

I am thinking to perhaps sew in pockets for shoulder/elbow/back armor, but I am not sure that is really viable because the inside lining is quite thin. I think I might have better went with model A instead.

Does anyone have tips on how is it best to use model B for riding?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A while a go I bought a similar armoured shirt but the main body was mesh with the thought I could wear my Aero Cafe Racer etc on the bike.....I think I did that 3 times, now the armoured shirt just hangs there not getting used, its just a lot easier to wear a jacket with built in armour.

If its your only option its fine, but if you have other options.....they are just easier.

Hey friends!

Some time ago I bought a Vanson model B leather jacket for riding a motorcycle, and I am about to buy a motor bike but I have a dilemma.

I know Vanson model B is really thick and great moto jacket, but it does not have built in armor and not even pockets for armor. So how do most riders ride in it?

One option I see is wearing an armored shirt like this forcefield shirt, but it's another 200$ on top of expensive jacket, and it also will be quite warm to wear a t-shirt + armored shirt + jacket for anything other than winter.

I am thinking to perhaps sew in pockets for shoulder/elbow/back armor, but I am not sure that is really viable because the inside lining is quite thin. I think I might have better went with model A instead.

Get an A. It's essentially the same, apart from the back. Plus AR3 comes with an armor and it's a much better riding jacket.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I had D3O armor retro fitted to my SB Cafe Racer for this very reason ( I drew up the designs sent them my jacket and they hand stitched them in) .. cost £100 but I expect any competent tailor could do it. I have had 3 ( 2 x Forcefield, 1 x Knox) armor shirts and while they work well ( coolmax is surprisingly good .. but then I'm in the UK and not warmer climes) but as PN notes above it's just easier to throw my Furygan Amo or one of my Rukka's on.

I am totally uncomfortable with just leather for protection .. this may work for others but it doesn't for me. Equally I'm not comfortable in jeans alone ... again that may work for some but it doesn't for me ..... even if I'm just popping out to the shops for 5 minutes. At he minimum I'm wearing draggin jeans.

I recently bought a Draggin Hoodie which is Kevlar lined and armored and fitted D30 protectors which I can also wear on it's own or UNDER my jacket ( this was really so I could wear a waxed cotton jacket) .. and it works really well. Vanson should be able to fit armor to your model B but I'm not sure if they can retrofit (someone else may know) .......... but this is one of the main reasons my bike jackets don't have the "insurrection fit" :)

Did I mention I'm a huge fan of D3O protectors :)

Graemsay

Practically Family
The thinnest armour that I've seen is Rev'it Seesmart. It's a lot softer than D3O, and is supplied in their latest retro jackets.

I really like the Knox Microlock armour. It's similar to D3O, but offers CE Level 2 (i.e. better) protection, and is both thinner and softer.

estranged

New in Town
Thanks guys, seems like not many options, underneath armored shirt no the most popular and comfortable.

Get an A. It's essentially the same, apart from the back. Plus AR3 comes with an armor and it's a much better riding jacket.

Well I spent 750 eur for model B, I can't simply get model A just like that. I understand that model A is more rider friendly, but I previously got an impression that a lot of people are riding with model B, but it seem like it's not the case, or perhaps they are riding without the armor.

The thinnest armour that I've seen is Rev'it Seesmart. It's a lot softer than D3O, and is supplied in their latest retro jackets.

I really like the Knox Microlock armour. It's similar to D3O, but offers CE Level 2 (i.e. better) protection, and is both thinner and softer.

Looks like nice armors, but model B does not have any pockets for them. Would love to hear if someone actually managed to attach custom armor to that jacket.

Plumbline

One Too Many

I've not used the rev-it stuff but have got the Knox Flexiform & Microlock ( they both look to be from the same form mould) and it is thinner than the D30 but isn't as comfortable IMHO. it's a little bit less flexible and stiffer ( I've compared like for like level 1 and 2) and it's a little more expensive (and I could only get it direct from Knox).

All three sound like great options though and it's GREAT to have options.

Estranged ... if you have a competent tailor near you or a good alterations shop ...

1. Buy your chosen armor.
2. Go to the tailors an put the jacket on inside out ( sounds weird but trust me)
3. Place the armor on the appropriate areas and have the tailor mark the location in tailors chalk.
4. Remove jacket (still inside out)
5. Have the tailor make some patches in cotton drill 5mm wider than the armor and hand sew them onto the positions marked leaving a 6 cm ( 2.5") gap at the top of each patch.
6. Insert the armor ( right way round now) and away you go

I've done this with a couple of jackets now ( though not a Model B) but it works a treat.

Last edited:
Well I spent 750 eur for model B, I can't simply get model A just like that. I understand that model A is more rider friendly, but I previously got an impression that a lot of people are riding with model B, but it seem like it's not the case, or perhaps they are riding without the armor.

Oh, I automatically assumed you're thinking about exchanging the B or something. In that case, getting an A is not an option. It's not a significant step up from the B - if any at all. It's just a different jacket. I mean, not worth selling the B. I've had both and they're equally great.

As for the armor... What Plumbline says. It's a leather jacket. You should be able to find someone who could do a great job at installing armor pockets. Many tailors do this on a regular basis. At least mine does and she knows the drill so it's perfectly doable.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I had a vanson with armor that was held in place with velcro on the inside with zippers in the lining to access it. Im not going to pretend to know how safety concious people are in europe, but it seems like in the pittsburgh area most people are comfortable with a tshirt and ball cap to prevent road rash. My skin must not be as tough as the typical 'burgher is all i can figure. I figure most people are wearing that jacket without the armor.

IXL

One Too Many
I wear a Model B frequently as a great riding jacket.....no armor. I get enough of that kind of stuff the rest of the time. Besides, I've seen the aftermath of enough motorcycle incidents that I personally question the effectiveness of much armor when involved in a direct impact with stationary objects. I do choose wear a helmet, though. We all make choices.
I hope you find some protection that works for you. The jacket itself is top shelf!

Hey friends!

We have retro fitted all types of leather motorcycle garments for over fourteen years. I use Forcefield limb protectors (CE rated at 100 Joules) and Forcefield back protectors (CE rated at 4.67KN) all preform to the new CE standard Level 2. This is what we use in our shop for all the motorcycle garments we make.
We use mesh lining to make the pockets for shoulder, elbow and back.
On your Vanson jacket I believe it uses the Velcro float system for the limbs and back insert so you do not need any pockets. We can add Velcro to our armour so it will attach to your jackets Velcro.

estranged

New in Town
I've not used the rev-it stuff but have got the Knox Flexiform & Microlock ( they both look to be from the same form mould) and it is thinner than the D30 but isn't as comfortable IMHO. it's a little bit less flexible and stiffer ( I've compared like for like level 1 and 2) and it's a little more expensive (and I could only get it direct from Knox).

All three sound like great options though and it's GREAT to have options.

Estranged ... if you have a competent tailor near you or a good alterations shop ...

1. Buy your chosen armor.
2. Go to the tailors an put the jacket on inside out ( sounds weird but trust me)
3. Place the armor on the appropriate areas and have the tailor mark the location in tailors chalk.
4. Remove jacket (still inside out)
5. Have the tailor make some patches in cotton drill 5mm wider than the armor and hand sew them onto the positions marked leaving a 6 cm ( 2.5") gap at the top of each patch.
6. Insert the armor ( right way round now) and away you go

I've done this with a couple of jackets now ( though not a Model B) but it works a treat.

Hmm so I called Vanson Leathers and they said it's not really simple to add armor to model B. Thing is that you cannot simply attack if to thin lining, but you need to temporary remove lining, somehow attach it to leather and then reattach lining. The guy recommended me to go with armored shirt underneath.

But thanks for the idea, i will have it in mind.

We have retro fitted all types of leather motorcycle garments for over fourteen years. I use Forcefield limb protectors (CE rated at 100 Joules) and Forcefield back protectors (CE rated at 4.67KN) all preform to the new CE standard Level 2. This is what we use in our shop for all the motorcycle garments we make.
We use mesh lining to make the pockets for shoulder, elbow and back.
On your Vanson jacket I believe it uses the Velcro float system for the limbs and back insert so you do not need any pockets. We can add Velcro to our armour so it will attach to your jackets Velcro.

I would be happy to use you services, but you are from US, I am from Netherlands, I don't think it will be simple. But anyhow, how do you attach the velcro to the jacket? I don't think you attach it to the inside lining itself, because that thing is very thing layer in this jacket.

Hmm so I called Vanson Leathers and they said it's not really simple to add armor to model B. Thing is that you cannot simply attack if to thin lining, but you need to temporary remove lining, somehow attach it to leather and then reattach lining. The guy recommended me to go with armored shirt underneath.

But thanks for the idea, i will have it in mind.

I would be happy to use you services, but you are from US, I am from Netherlands, I don't think it will be simple. But anyhow, how do you attach the velcro to the jacket? I don't think you attach it to the inside lining itself, because that thing is very thing layer in this jacket.

If the model B does not use the Velcro float system than you can have mesh or cotton pockets made as described by the post from Plumbline. This is not as completed as it sounds we do it all the time and have worked on many Vanson jackets.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
If the model B does not use the Velcro float system than you can have mesh or cotton pockets made as described by the post from Plumbline. This is not as completed as it sounds we do it all the time and have worked on many Vanson jackets.
Alan, do you guys make gloves too? Im looking for something armored but understated. Seems like everything from revit and dainese doesnt match quality to price and is too flashy. Sorry to sideline tthis thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'll be doing a write-up of the Vanson Cobra Mark 2 jacket soon. This is a great rider's jacket, sure its' not a trendy style, however combines great ventilation with top-shelf leather (and a compromise there too) along with armor and good design for riding. It's purpose built, not a style jacket at all. Plus, it's a whole lot cheaper and less painful than skin grafts! These are readily available on ebay, come up all the time for 50% or less of the new price.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-COBRA_Mark2-307.aspx?

Alan, do you guys make gloves too? Im looking for something armored but understated. Seems like everything from revit and dainese doesnt match quality to price and is too flashy. Sorry to sideline tthis thread.

Sorry no gloves only garments. You might look at Racer Gloves we carry them in the shop and customers like them.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The velcro float system has the soft ( fluffy) part of the velcro pre-inserted into the jacket on manufacture. The inside of the jacket is accessed through either a velcro or zipped opening in the lining ( I have seen this in the armpit, top of neck and base of the jacket at the back (where it works best IMHO) ... it's a fairly common M/C jacket construct from the 80's on and works really well for retrofitting and upgrading armor.

The model B doesn't have the velcro float but it is relatively simple to add armor ..... I have done this to Vanson Highwayman (quilt lining) and Daytona jackets (mesh lining) via my local alterations shop. I would imagine these is a M/C leather shop which does alterations near you ... go ask them, it's MUCH easier than you think.

HTH

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I don't have a Model B yet, but own several Vanson leather jackets - Comet PLU 3, Chopper, modified AR3 and Enfield (now sold as it was a little too big for my liking). I've worn a Knox or Bohn armoured shirt underneath all of them with no problem. In fact I like the flexibility this gives me. I've also gone down a few times wearing this combination - I had on a Lost Worlds leather jacket (similar to Vanson in weight & construction) during these down times - and it's worked well for me protection-wise. My modified AR3 comes with armoured pads, basically it's a Model-A with Model-B style smaller action back / shoulder gussets. However, the pads are quite a bit thicker & bulkier than most modern armour pads - D3O, Revit's Seesoft or their latest very thin flexible pads that are in their current heritage/classic-style jackets. The Vanson pads attach to the jacket directly behind the leather with velcro strips. There's a zipper down the centre of the cloth lining that you have to unzip to access these pads. They work well enough but their bulk and stiffness makes for a bit of a tight fit. I've worn the jacket likes this for a few multi-day rides, but recently took off these pads and just wear my armoured shirt underneath my AR3 - I know, should've just gotten myself a Model -A or a Model-B!

Flip side of the coin, sometimes, it does make things a lot easier to have an armoured jacket to just throw over your t-shirt and go. For that I have other leather jackets - Helstons, Segura, etc. The new Revit classic line is looking mighty appealing as well!

Edward

Bartender
IT's certainly the case that in the last two or three years there's been an upsurge of great, retro style gear out there: the industry has finally caught on that there's a market out there of people who want to buy gear that is safe but classic looking. Safety is no longer limited to the Power Rangers!

A while a go I bought a similar armoured shirt but the main body was mesh with the thought I could wear my Aero Cafe Racer etc on the bike.....I think I did that 3 times, now the armoured shirt just hangs there not getting used, its just a lot easier to wear a jacket with built in armour.

If its your only option its fine, but if you have other options.....they are just easier.

Yeah, that would be me too. If it's a hassle to wear, there's always that time when you'll just not be bothered - and that, of course, is when a spill will happen. (Statistically, the significant majority of bike accidents happen within a few miles of the rider's home.) A decent leather will do its job to prevent roadrash, but it won't help much for impact in the event of an off where you land hard on your back, shoulder or elbow. Might be worth, as an interim measure, at least, considering a cheaper jacket. Lots of great reviews out there of this one, for instance: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/220244 Would at least get you going while you hunt out someone to do the mods to the Vanson - which, I agree, should not be a huge hassle.

If you're looking for something that is CE rated but retains an old-school style, I've yet to find anything to outdo Helston's. (They also do some cracking jackets as well.) A big name for a long time in French motorcycle gear. Full range of gloves is on their own site - http://www.helstons.net/ - but they're not hard to find closer to home (at least not here in the UK, anyhow). CE rated, Summer and Winter weight, with or without knuckle protector. The only thing I can fault them on is that they don't seem to do many in a burgundy/oxblood....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner