Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What art is in your home?

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
I have loads of paintings round the house. I was dealing in late 19thC -mid 20thC scottish art for a while. But I just do framing and restoration now.

looking for anything? Give me a shout and I'll get it for you:p

draws

Practically Family
I have been painting with oils for many years and here are my favorites and that are hanging in our home. Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    940.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2814 small.jpg
    IMG_2814 small.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Mallard Duck (2).jpg
    Mallard Duck (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Reflections (1).JPG
    Reflections (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
There’s something in excess of 100 graphical elements adorning the walls and suspended from the ceilings and atop the floors here. And that’s just on the main floor.

Some of it is old commercial signage, some of it is posters (movies, gallery exhibits [Miro, Warhol, Goings], airlines), and some is “fine” art.

A kite, a parasol, a large American flag, a paper lantern. Antique wooden skis and a vintage sled.

An old feed sack. A backgammon board. Photos. Clocks. Thermometers.

There was a time when I made sharp distinctions between commercial art/industrial design and fine art. And I accept the late Massimo Vignelli’s position that commercial art and industrial design serve a different master and are constrained by it. In other words, it has to serve its utilitarian function (in the case of industrial design) or readily “read” (in the case of commercial art), whereas fine art is free of such constraints.

Still, though, there’s no good reason for commercial art and art-art not to speak to each other. And there’s still an aesthetic sensibility in both.

Beautiful things belong together. And there’s beauty in a rusty 95-year-old Kansas license plate and a banged-up old bugle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana