Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

dkstott

Practically Family

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 421261

View attachment 421262
View attachment 421263

I picked this one up cheap (used). Country Gentleman. There is no tag indicating what it's made of, but it's pretty substantial. It looks and feels like one of those camel hair sport coats.

You do look sharp in a cap! Your cap is definitely swanky. Cheers!

Cap and cap. Yesterday some yard clean-up in a Filson cap.
i-HjSsT22-M.jpg

I washed my car this morning in a Well Dressed Head cap.

i-CcShNg5-M.jpg

i-hjRT9Hq-M.jpg

i-Gk4Txkz-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

View attachment 421261

View attachment 421262
View attachment 421263

I picked this one up cheap (used). Country Gentleman. There is no tag indicating what it's made of, but it's pretty substantial. It looks and feels like one of those camel hair sport coats.
I'd say wool is a safe bet. I found a website selling Country Gentleman hats and caps, and one of the caps was very much like yours except for the color being more orange in their photo, but it was described as 100% wool for the outer shell. I think you chose a good one, 'cause it really suits you and looks comfortable.

thatguykeek

New in Town
The value of a hat is not always the money spent, the age, the maker, nor the materials. Sometimes, oftentimes, the value of a hat has everything to do with the story, the giver, what you feel like when you wear it. Many of my hats are only priceless to me. The winter Isotoner (yeah I said it) ski hat with the wear hole in the top. Form it just right and I can look like the pope. The DeKalb Corn trucker hat my friend found run over on the highway. Soft and tenderized for sure. How I wore that perfectly fitting hat for a couple decades. Now my new favorite, a dark burgundy plaid scally cap from the Boston Scally Co. A Valentine's Day surprise for me this year. Fits like a champ, and I barely know it's there. But I know who picked it out. Thanks, love.
20220502_210904.jpg
20220502_211152.jpg 20220502_211029.jpg 20220502_210920.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, another devotee of the Boston Scally Company cap. I have, I think, 10 or more, including my own selection from their "St. Patrick's Day" collection, the Irish Rose:

7LmfSYd.jpg

An eight panel cap, green with blue and tan lines to create a rather subdued "plaid" pattern...

9VcI9mz.jpg

...and some kind of thin "faux leather" covering on the brim:

Nb6ZUFG.jpg

Lightweight and comfortable, it's a streamlined modern take on the traditional "Newsboy" cap.

Last edited:
Ah, another devotee of the Boston Scally Company cap. I have, I think, 10 or more, including my own selection from their "St. Patrick's Day" collection, the Irish Rose:

7LmfSYd.jpg

An eight panel cap, green with blue and tan lines to create a rather subdued "plaid" pattern...

9VcI9mz.jpg

Nb6ZUFG.jpg

Lightweight and comfortable, it's a streamlined modern take on the traditional "Newsboy" cap.
Exceptional plaid pattern on that one, Al. I like it a lot.

thatguykeek

New in Town

7LmfSYd.jpg

9VcI9mz.jpg

Nb6ZUFG.jpg

Looks great on you. Love the subtle pattern. Yep the Boston Scallies are really nice caps. I have another one with a neo classic Irish plaid. Learning for me anyways, that it's not enough to just grab any hat for the day, but I try to play the part. Match the hat/cap to the clothes, the day's weather. What I am feeling. It ain't easy being an intentional hat collector! Ah just kidding.

Last edited:
View attachment 422744 View attachment 422746
This is a cotton canvas 8 panel by Barry Simonds. Solid cap.
That looks like a great cap! Attractive and well made. Nice choice!

For me, more greenery:

OcrEr9u.jpg

Green linen eight-panel with a cotton liner that may or may not be upside down; I really can't tell:

zLw2DaG.jpg

Lightweight, comfortable, and still wrinkled from being folded, stuffed into an envelope, and shipped approximately 7,000 miles from Istanbul, Turkey, to the southwestern corner of the continental U.S.. A little snug, but it should loosen up a bit with use just in time for another hot and humid summer.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
New Gamble & Gunn cap during this afternoon's hike. Sewn and made in Britain. Ardsley model, lightweight wool. Its a little snug, it'll stretch after a few days View attachment 424221 View attachment 424222

Excellent cap choice for your hike. Sharp cap. especially like that your leaves are out and everything appears so fresh and green. Great time to hike.

Yesterday I spent time under a colorful wool cap. The wool has a definate slub to it. I like its appearance.

i-pQ2DRk4-M.jpg

i-k6FSqQx-M.jpg

i-Hv83swp-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

dkstott

Practically Family
Excellent cap choice for your hike. Sharp cap. especially like that your leaves are out and everything appears so fresh and green. Great time to hike.

Yesterday I spent time under a colorful wool cap. The wool has a definate slub to it. I like its appearance.

i-pQ2DRk4-M.jpg

i-k6FSqQx-M.jpg

i-Hv83swp-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Thank you kindly for your compliments. I soaked the sweatband area of the cap with water and put it on my hat stretcher overnight. The size 57 is now a very comfortable 57.5.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Beige Elbsegler

Thanks for sharing.

I made a long overdue drive to Delmonico Hatter in New Haven CT today. I didn't need any more caps, but I bought a few. Pictures to follow later

Dave, congrats on having such a gem of a retail store in your neighborhood. It is a first world problem having many caps. A real luxury, that you and many of us (me included) appreciate. I am excited to see what caps you will unvail.

Yesterday a Magee Donegeal cap saw head time.

i-GsdS3VT-M.jpg

i-DDKtjs2-M.jpg

i-2TNQR8j-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

dkstott

Practically Family
Thanks for sharing.

Dave, congrats on having such a gem of a retail store in your neighborhood. It is a first world problem having many caps. A real luxury, that you and many of us (me included) appreciate. I am excited to see what caps you will unvail.

Yesterday a Magee Donegeal cap saw head time.

i-GsdS3VT-M.jpg

i-DDKtjs2-M.jpg

i-2TNQR8j-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Wow, I love that purple liner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto