Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Bob Dong wabash cap at the usual spot.
3E32CA3A-E874-4173-8A4C-CE69AAE20CB4.jpeg
494C3B01-B6A9-436F-BE64-5A10E33E1E16.jpeg
CDB93957-7692-408E-A20D-2CE4C15961FA.jpeg
E2B30F58-9DA6-4198-9F32-6104CC74BB09.jpeg
D2D21D54-010F-4E47-B1C1-1AC9D7F902CE.jpeg

This includes a bit of a story about a lousy ball cap, so I won't be offended if you choose to ignore this post. For those of you brave enough to stick with it, here's my new Toledo Mud Hens Klinger Clean Up Cap:

jXlEOnC.jpg

That's how it's listed on the website, anyway. Since I started occasionally wearing ball caps a few years ago I've been searching occasionally for one like the cap Jamie Farr wore as Sergeant Maxwell Q. Klinger on the television series M*A*S*H. That was supposed to be the ball cap the Minor League team the Toledo Mud Hens wore at the time Klinger would have been in Korea, but the Mud Hens weren't making souvenir caps at the time the series started so the wardrobe department used the next best thing--a Texas Rangers ball cap that was almost identical to the Mud Hens' ball caps from the late 1940s. Fast forward to about a month ago, and I finally find the cap I've been looking for. Well, almost.

xikuvyQ.jpg

As you can see there are minor differences, so I called the number on the Mud Hens website and the Gent they eventually connected me with couldn't have been nicer or more well versed on what I wanted to know. After an exasperated sigh that told me this wasn't the first time he had to explain this to a potential customer, he told me that the differences came down to which team had the legal rights to reproduce which version of the cap. He said since the Texas Rangers are currently producing a replica of their hat the Mud Hens couldn't, so instead they reproduced a version of their cap from the late-40s--the cap Farr should have worn on the show. I'm sure he expected me to say "Thank you" and end the call, because he suddenly perked up when I said I liked the idea of having an even more accurate representation of the Mud Hens' cap from that era and that I wanted to order one. Which I did.

To make a long story longer, I did track down that Texas Rangers cap just to take a look. Lighter shade of blue, darker shade of red, and the "T" is exactly the same as on the Mud Hens' cap, except outlined in red. I'm very pleased I ordered the cap I got, 'cause I didn't like the Rangers' cap. :cool:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This includes a bit of a story about a lousy ball cap, so I won't be offended if you choose to ignore this post. For those of you brave enough to stick with it, here's my new Toledo Mud Hens Klinger Clean Up Cap:

jXlEOnC.jpg

That's how it's listed on the website, anyway. Since I started occasionally wearing ball caps a few years ago I've been searching occasionally for one like the cap Jamie Farr wore as Sergeant Maxwell Q. Klinger on the television series M*A*S*H. That was supposed to be the ball cap the Minor League team the Toledo Mud Hens wore at the time Klinger would have been in Korea, but the Mud Hens weren't making souvenir caps at the time the series started so the wardrobe department used the next best thing--a Texas Rangers ball cap that was almost identical to the Mud Hens' ball caps from the late 1940s. Fast forward to about a month ago, and I finally find the cap I've been looking for. Well, almost.

xikuvyQ.jpg

As you can see there are minor differences, so I called the number on the Mud Hens website and the Gent they eventually connected me with couldn't have been nicer or more well versed on what I wanted to know. After an exasperated sigh that told me this wasn't the first time he had to explain this to a potential customer, he told me that the differences came down to which team had the legal rights to reproduce which version of the cap. He said since the Texas Rangers are currently producing a replica of their hat the Mud Hens couldn't, so instead they reproduced a version of their cap from the late-40s--the cap Farr should have worn on the show. I'm sure he expected me to say "Thank you" and end the call, because he suddenly perked up when I said I liked the idea of having an even more accurate representation of the Mud Hens' cap from that era and that I wanted to order one. Which I did.

To make a long story longer, I did track down that Texas Rangers cap just to take a look. Lighter shade of blue, darker shade of red, and the "T" is exactly the same as on the Mud Hens' cap, except outlined in red. I'm very pleased I ordered the cap I got, 'cause I didn't like the Rangers' cap. :cool:
Great story/history to go with a great cap! batta, batta, swwwwwwwwiiinnnnggggggggg!

jXlEOnC.jpg

xikuvyQ.jpg

Excellent

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm new to this thread, so excuse me if I'm making a captain obvious faux pas. I found an Etsy Australian seller of repro caps, the Well Dressed Head, absolutely incredible! Wide selection and beautiful craftsmanship, the price is up there but well worth it.
Several of us love Keith's caps from the WDH!
WDH Cotton_Wool overshot3.jpeg

I'm new to this thread, so excuse me if I'm making a captain obvious faux pas. I found an Etsy Australian seller of repro caps, the Well Dressed Head, absolutely incredible! Wide selection and beautiful craftsmanship, the price is up there but well worth it.
That's Keith. He goes by the name "Stuffsmith" here, but he hasn't been around in quite some time because he's busy making caps. Dedicated family man and a good guy, he goes out of his way to track down unique fabrics and historically authentic patterns to make his caps. His caps are out of my budget range, but he definitely has his fans here.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Welcome sir. WDH caps are totally worthy! Price gets you top quality in the world.

Here are a couple WDH caps pics that are on my cap rack.

53C59E52-E855-46A7-95AD-1673F81D1400-M.jpg

i-hQzkJCf-M.jpg

i-4tMZpzR-M.jpg

i-gGmsWVn-M.jpg

i-8S5xSbw-M.jpg

i-4VTL6DW-M.jpg

Check out the posted pics of forum members marvelous WDH caps. There are some real treasures posted on this thread. IMO save your pennies and ultimately enjoying one of the best bespoke cap makers artisan creations in the world.

Last edited:

Qrowin

Familiar Face
I could not find any real pics of this hat anywhere on the internet. The website for Crown Cap has pretty poor quality photos for some of their products. But, made in Canada and for 45 dollars, I took a chance. I was quite happy with the result. It is very thick and warm and easy to shape. The only issues are in some of the small finishes, such as the top seams not meeting the centre of the brim and a back seam is visible. Other than that, for the price, it is an excellent hat. Made from Melton wool on the outside and an 80/20 Cotton to polyester blend for the lining. For my first newsboy/baker boy hat, I think it will be a keeper.
PXL_20200928_221125423.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg PXL_20200928_221112394.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg PXL_20200929_001643780.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112