Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
Out thrift store shopping wearing my Sterkowski cap and new/vintage Schott car coat. I have 2 more Sterkowski caps on the way
20230126_104616.jpg

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Sounds like the issue that I've had with caps and earflaps. They start out working okay, but then don't stay down or become wings. I've migrated to wearing earmuffs separately from my caps.
I do the same and carry some earmuffs with the SK, just in case.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Your experiences are the same as mine-Stormy Kromer barely covers the ears.

I struggle with using it for hard chores in weather as my ears are not covered and get cold as well as the cap being lined with a cotton. I have sweated in the cap several times and have washed the liner with Woolite. It is a lot of effort to keep the cap looking sharp when I use it hard.

The Filson has a quilting that has a nylon content and wipes off easier. I put a folded handkerchief on my bald pate then I tug the cap on when I am going to really put effort into a chore. Our recent big snowfall found me out with a snowblower and shovel for an hour and half of hard efforts. The handkerchief I refolded after it got damp from my efforts. After the efforts I wiped the inside down (cleaning wipes and a very small application of fabric spray) and set it on a wooden cap block to dry. The cap was ready to go the next morning. The Filson has a crown height, at least for short me. I can not wear it when I need to use ear protection. Ear protection does not work with this style cap. No chainsaw or blower work with the Filson. Or if I use it, it is light and short duty.

Even with my other caps I change them out when I am going to get them damp with perspiration. Frequently I will use the handkerchief in my back pocket when I am efforting. I do not use a handkerchief for any other purpose but my protection of caps or hats. Wiping my pate or forehead are the normal use of the fabric.

Kromers - I have a couple, but the do not get frequent use.

Eric -
I need to use an old insulated camo hat for snowblowing, because I also use ear protection (your a smart man). I usually get sprayed by some nasty stuff at the bottom of the driveway and I want a hat I can throw in with the wash.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
French "Retro Sport" Cap - heavy wool tweed

45101152md.jpg
45101151vh.jpg
45101150oy.jpg

Matt; The Retro Sport cap has terrific dimensions in your pics. You look sharp. Thanks for sharing.

Love the wool cap. It appears Pokey, Gumby and blockhead approve.

Sweet paneled cap. Appears to be a regukar wearer. Thanks for sharing.

Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 487107 View attachment 487108 View attachment 487109
From @Johnny J at Cordova Caps.
Very cool pleated cap for the weekend.

I suspect you can hear my clapping coming from the east of your location for your workwear and donegal cap combo.

I do love that donegal wool. Is it Magee donegal wool? If it is I have a cap made of similar fabric. I really like it. The light-medium-ish wool weight is very practical and easy to wear. I asked for the Magee label to be added to the finished cap. When I take it off and look at the interior I can never forget the manufacturer of the fabric.

The cap, of similar wool as yours always garners positive comments. More comments than some of my mpore flashier and fancy-dancy caps. I am intrigued this evening by the more drape and style of your cap. What style is it?

The sewn brim that Johnathan Cordova has been using for his caps the recent years. I really have taken a likeing to the softer, spiral sewn brims. For my uses they wear grand.

Pic below of my different style made with Magee fabric for reference.

i-mkmrN45-M.jpg

Cheers to all cap folks, Eric -

quikrick

One Too Many
I suspect you can hear my clapping coming from the east of your location for your workwear and donegal cap combo.

I do love that donegal wool. Is it Magee donegal wool? If it is I have a cap made of similar fabric. I really like it. The light-medium-ish wool weight is very practical and easy to wear. I asked for the Magee label to be added to the finished cap. When I take it off and look at the interior I can never forget the manufacturer of the fabric.

The cap, of similar wool as yours always garners positive comments. More comments than some of my mpore flashier and fancy-dancy caps. I am intrigued this evening by the more drape and style of your cap. What style is it?

The sewn brim that Johnathan Cordova has been using for his caps the recent years. I really have taken a likeing to the softer, spiral sewn brims. For my uses they wear grand.

Pic below of my different style made with Magee fabric for reference.

i-mkmrN45-M.jpg

Cheers to all cap folks, Eric -

Eric, Thanks a million for the compliment! I was curious about that faint clapping sound off in the distance!
When I ordered the cap I didn't even ask what type of wool it was, I was more concerned with the color. I wanted grey, dark grey, this is what Jonathan showed me and I liked it. It's a medium weight, perfect for this climate. The model is ROCKTON, with a big crown 11.5"-11.75". Jonathan told me he has a big block for the crown and I said DO IT! The pics in the above post are after a fresh steam so it looks pretty puffy.
IMG_3850.jpeg

Here is a pic of me in the wild after a full day of goofing around. It did flatten out some and a slight drape over my ears, really noticeable when looking directly forward, That is the look I was after.

IMG_3852.jpeg

Different angle, the drape does not look too extreme here.

BTW... Beautiful cap you have there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ