Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Kid Mac said:
Wildturkey8,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have enjoyed several Pipeworks & Wilke blends. I've smoked No. 191; I think I'll load some up in a Blakemar bullcap for tonight's last smoke. Vermont Maple is also nice. P & W might be some of the better aromatics I've smoked; the casing or topping is done with a delicate hand, and the tobacco flavor isn't overwhelmed by the casing.

I tend to favor English and Oriental blends (I recommend Pipeworks #10, a medium Oriental, and # 524, if you favor full English). Nevertheless, I'm always on the lookout for that just right aromatic.

Dry ashes!
Mac
Kid Mac: I tried an english blend from McClelland, I believe it was blend #6. It was not to my liking, I've stuck to aromatics ever since. I will try Pipework and Wilke's #10. Who knows, the second time might be the charm. Dry Ashes. Wildturkey8

Por Larranaga Montecarlo
pi_3656.jpeg

This thing was really amazing considering its diminuitive ring gauge. It was quite flavorful and brought on cedary tobacco flavors from the start with a light tea, flowery herbal finish. I only had a problem with the draw. it was not wispy but it was firm. If it had opened up a bit then I could guarantee that it would probably deliver even more. Quite impressive. It lasted almost an hour and burned dead even---hanging a 1-2" ash several times. I nearly burnt my finger a few times with this one. Fortunately, I opted to get a whole box to sample more. ;) :p

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Wildturkey8,

If you didn't care for McClelland No. 6, you might not like P&W No. 10 as both are English/Oriental blends. No. 6 is heavier in Virginias with some Oriental tobacs while No. 10 is heavier in Orientals with a touch of Latakia. I'm a big latakia and oriental tobaccos fan, but I know they're not to everyone's liking. I started out as a aromatic smoker, and I still enjoy aromatic blends occasionally, but I have gravitated toward English blends.

Are you familiar with http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm? It's a peer-reviewed tobac site. Taste is relative, but if you find a reviewer who enjoys a blend you yourself enjoy, you can get an idea if you'd enjoy other blends he reviewed.

Smoking Esoterica Pembroke, an English blend topped with French Cognac, in a Dunhill shell billiard.

Mac

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Kid Mac: Thanks for the info. Carole at Pipework is always good to send samples, I will request that she send me a sample of #10 when I reorder #191. By the way Rumcake is also a favorite of mine from Pipework and Wilke. Supposedly blended specially for Basil Rathbone. Enjoy that Dunhill. Thanks, Wildturkey8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ