What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by indycop, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ET

ET One of the Regulars

Fuente Hemingway - finally almost warm enough to smoke outside on the deck. Tomorrow it will snow...again.

2. What is this snow stuff? ;)

3. wildturkey8

wildturkey8 Familiar Face

Kid Mac: I tried an english blend from McClelland, I believe it was blend #6. It was not to my liking, I've stuck to aromatics ever since. I will try Pipework and Wilke's #10. Who knows, the second time might be the charm. Dry Ashes. Wildturkey8

4. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Fuentes Crucet 87.:D

5. spiridon

spiridon A-List Customer

Camacho CoRo

6. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL 700

7. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

Gurka Gran Reserve Perfecto #1

8. Por Larranaga Montecarlo
    [​IMG]

This thing was really amazing considering its diminuitive ring gauge. It was quite flavorful and brought on cedary tobacco flavors from the start with a light tea, flowery herbal finish. I only had a problem with the draw. it was not wispy but it was firm. If it had opened up a bit then I could guarantee that it would probably deliver even more. Quite impressive. It lasted almost an hour and burned dead even---hanging a 1-2" ash several times. I nearly burnt my finger a few times with this one. Fortunately, I opted to get a whole box to sample more. ;) :p

9. That's a new one for you. How was it?

10. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

Had a Gurka Grand Age last night. Very good cigar.

11. For the price, they had better be. ;) :p

12. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Pretty good, the ash gets a little flaky but a decent cigar.:D

13. So its a flaky cigar?:p

14. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

I had one at a tasting last weekend and bought a box. I will be in the next issue of Cigar Snob maybe also. :p

Por Larranaga Lancero?

15. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Heh. I only get to smoke outside. The old man is a recovering pipe smoker and can smell about 1 part per zillion in the house. Had my Coob in 25mph winds and blowing snow this eve.

16. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

RP Edge Corojo.:)

17. Kid Mac

Kid Mac Practically Family

Wildturkey8,

If you didn't care for McClelland No. 6, you might not like P&W No. 10 as both are English/Oriental blends. No. 6 is heavier in Virginias with some Oriental tobacs while No. 10 is heavier in Orientals with a touch of Latakia. I'm a big latakia and oriental tobaccos fan, but I know they're not to everyone's liking. I started out as a aromatic smoker, and I still enjoy aromatic blends occasionally, but I have gravitated toward English blends.

Are you familiar with http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm? It's a peer-reviewed tobac site. Taste is relative, but if you find a reviewer who enjoys a blend you yourself enjoy, you can get an idea if you'd enjoy other blends he reviewed.

Smoking Esoterica Pembroke, an English blend topped with French Cognac, in a Dunhill shell billiard.

Mac

18. wildturkey8

wildturkey8 Familiar Face

Kid Mac: Thanks for the info. Carole at Pipework is always good to send samples, I will request that she send me a sample of #10 when I reorder #191. By the way Rumcake is also a favorite of mine from Pipework and Wilke. Supposedly blended specially for Basil Rathbone. Enjoy that Dunhill. Thanks, Wildturkey8

19. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

Gurkha Vintage Shaggy Toro

20. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes sir, quite pricey but I splashed out to celebrate with one of my officers for receiving a prestigious Departmental Award.