What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by indycop, Jan 14, 2008.

1. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Had the Cohiba Extra Vigarosa tonight. Pretty good, I haven't had a cohiba I didn't like but I think they could be a few dollars less. I got that offer but it was just for the maduros wasn't it?

2. vonwotan

vonwotan Practically Family

Yesterday and today it's Tatuaje Especiales long panatelas. This is a something new for me. I have been stopping in to my favourite tobacconist every once in a while and with no particular guidance asking for something new and interesting (at least for me...). After many years of buying the same three or four cigars I've decided to branch out.

I was very happy with this latest selection. They smoke very well, draw perfectly all the way to the end and were perfect for winding down after work. I've brought a few extra with me today for our luncheon to get others reactions as well. I'm tempted to buy a box to add to my humidor.

Are others here familiar with Tatuage cigars? I've let all of my magizine subscriptions lapse so I don't believe I've had any of these in the past.

3. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

Rocky Patel Fusion toro.............not so great.

4. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Tonight a Perdomo limited edition 2008. Good draw, good burn, lots of smoke and good taste.:D

5. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

My cousin Mike gave me one of his today, it was a Antonio Y Cleopatra. Never had one before. Really liked it.

6. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

I have to agree with you RKW, Fusion is not one of his better efforts.
    I really like every Perdomo I've tried IC. Always a nice draw, good balance and billows of smoke.

7. BobC

BobC My Mail is Forwarded Here

Today I had a pleasant experience with a humidor issue I didn't know I was having. My eight year old humidor was running me ragged trying to keep it filled with water two or three times a week. I called Holt's to ask them about a more maintenance free method of humidification, and during the discussion the gentleman I was speaking with brought it to my attention that my humidor hasn't been sealing properly. He gave me the manufacturer's customer service number, and I contacted them. They told me to return the humidor to them and they would replace it with a new one. I surely was pleasantly surprised by that conversation.

Now my real reason for this post. I went through a basket full of cigar paraphernalia that I hadn't looked through in apparently a long time and found this at the bottom of it. I've probably had this for seven or eight years and forgotten about it. It's still sealed in celophane. Do you suppose these are still smokable?

[​IMG]

8. BobC

Last night I had one of my favorites, an Ashton VSG robusto.

I saw something new in my Holt's Father's Day catalog, the Rocky Patel Ocean Club. Has anybody had a chance to taste one of these yet?

9. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

I haven't seen that one, just got one of his spring collection but haven't tried it yet.

10. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

I would think thats gonna take some time in the humidor!?

11. CigarMan

CigarMan One of the Regulars

yeah, if they've been that long out of a humidor, they're surely dry and the natural oils have all evaporated. You could remove them and store them in a humidor for a few months and they'll rehumidify, but they won't be as good as before. At least I don't think so, can't say I've tried one that's been rehumidified after that long, but as good as those are, it's definitely worth a shot. Let us know how it works out. When you do open the box, give them a little squeeze and see how they feel. Should give a little bit. You never know.

by the way . . .Macanudo 1968 Robusto ;)

12. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

Wessex Special with Black & Brown Tobacco.

13. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Rocky Patel Spring collection.:D

14. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy One Too Many

Tatuaje is made by Pete Johnson, with the assistance of Don Pepin Garcia. They are individually some of the hottest cigar men on the planet, and together many say they make the best cigars. I myself haven't smoked any, but have heard great things from a few of my cohorts who enjoy them with vigor.
    I always opine, "smoke what you like". Sounds as if you are of the same mind. :eusa_clap

15. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes sir, it was just the maduros but I ordered a box. Its one of the few maduros I like.

Tonight it was a Punch Rare Corojo...and a Cu Avana Intenso. The Punch was very good but I was not impressed with the Intenso; lots of smoke but not much character.

16. Kid Mac

Kid Mac Practically Family

Esoterica Pembroke in a Dunhill ODB.

Dry ashes,
    Mac

17. vonwotan

vonwotan Practically Family

Thank you for the information. All of us really enjoyed the long panatelas so I went back for a box yesterday. The one reservation I had is that they cost a bit more than my usual Ashton No. 20 Maduros... The collaboration you describe would, I suppose, explain the premium price.

We also purchased several additional cigars from the Tatouaje Cabinet collection. Apparently the panatelas have a different (visibly lighter) wrapper but are similar in flavor.

Coupled with our bar's new white port, these have made for a few wonderful evenings with friends.

18. indycop

indycop I'll Lock Up

Rocky Patel R4 and a Don Pablo cigarillo from Belgium.:D

19. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

Oliva V Lancero on the way in to work and my Sunday favorite RP Decade Torpedo.

20. BobC

I read a lot of high praise about the Rocky Patel Decade but haven't had one yet. Are they as good as they say?