Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Thanks Greg, & it is good! Pipe tobaccos are made up of a blend of various leaf tobaccos & are loosely classified into groups by their content, which tobacco is dominant, etc. When dried the various tobacco leaves are stacked together in a press & allowed to cure & flavors meld together under pressure before being cut. English blends & Scottish blends are very similar in that they are a blend of Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, & Virginia tobaccos. Some Scottish blends substitute Burley & Cavendish for the Latakia & Oriental/Turkish tobaccos for a blend that is less smokey & spicy tasting. Most newbie pipe smokers & non pipe smokers don't like Latakia because it is somewhat pungent & smells like a woodburning campfire. English blends are my favorites & I prefer a blend that is Latakia forward or dominant. Scottish blends are more Virginia dominant & often just use the Latakia & Oriental/Turkish tobaccos for a bit of spice.

The Chicago Pipe Collectors Club (CPCC) came up with the blend now licensed by McClelland & marketed under the name Scottish Woods.

77d0ad2401.jpg

Having said all that I believe I'll start my day with an English blend; a bowl of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe with my morning coffee.

77d0a68946.jpg

Thanks Greg, & it is good! Pipe tobaccos are made up of a blend of various leaf tobaccos & are loosely classified into groups by their content, which tobacco is dominant, etc. When dried the various tobacco leaves are stacked together in a press & allowed to cure & flavors meld together under pressure before being cut. English blends & Scottish blends are very similar in that they are a blend of Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, & Virginia tobaccos. Some Scottish blends substitute Burley & Cavendish for the Latakia & Oriental/Turkish tobaccos for a blend that is less smokey & spicy tasting. Most newbie pipe smokers & non pipe smokers don't like Latakia because it is somewhat pungent & smells like a woodburning campfire. English blends are my favorites & I prefer a blend that is Latakia forward or dominant. Scottish blends are more Virginia dominant & often just use the Latakia & Oriental/Turkish tobaccos for a bit of spice.

The Chicago Pipe Collectors Club (CPCC) came up with the blend now licensed by McClelland & marketed under the name Scottish Woods.

77d0ad2401.jpg

Having said all that I believe I'll start my day with an English blend; a bowl of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe with my morning coffee.

77d0a68946.jpg

Thanks, HJ. What I really enjoy about this place is the diversity and the wealth of knowledge of the members on innumerable subjects.

Did any of your family members ever smoke a pipe? It is quite different than smoking cigarettes.

My maternal grandfather did and I have one of his pipes around somewhere. I don't remember him being a connoisseur of fine tobaccos but the availability and selections would have been pretty limited for him.

My maternal grandfather did and I have one of his pipes around somewhere. I don't remember him being a connoisseur of fine tobaccos but the availability and selections would have been pretty limited for him.
There weren't many connoisseurs in those days. My dad was a pipesmoker & he smoked mostly Half and Half which is a Burley aromatic (my mom tolerated it). My grandpa smoked Carter Hall & Sir Walter Raleigh. I guess if my choices were limited today I would probably pick Carter Hall.

My grandpa probably only had 4-5 pipes (of which I have 2) so there wasn't much of a rotation. My dad had about 15-18 pipes which I have now. Beginning in my college days I have added to that total immensely!

Scooterz

Practically Family
PS's #38 Highland Whiskey in a meerschaum billiard.

Hey just got a Ropp off ebay. It appears to be unsmoked. No residue in bowl no chatter on stem. The wooden bowl looks like it has been oiled or waxed and appears in good shape. The little oval Ropp emblem is missing off the side of the stem. There is cork or some kind of wood material that looks like a kind of gasket on the tenon of the stem that is kinda old looking an crumbling a bit. I don't think its a filter? Any ideas on how to deal with the gasket material or replacements for it?
thumb_P1020917_1024.jpg thumb_P1020922_1024.jpg
thumb_P1020931_1024.jpg

Hey just got a Ropp off ebay. It appears to be unsmoked. No residue in bowl no chatter on stem. The wooden bowl looks like it has been oiled or waxed and appears in good shape. The little oval Ropp emblem is missing off the side of the stem. There is cork or some kind of wood material that looks like a kind of gasket on the tenon of the stem that is kinda old looking an crumbling a bit. I don't think its a filter? Any ideas on how to deal with the gasket material or replacements for it?
View attachment 72018 View attachment 72016
View attachment 72019
Looks like what you have is an old ROPP made of Cherrywood. Is it stamped on the bottom of the bowl? The shank is threaded into the bowl so be careful with that, but I don't know anything about cork being used in the tenon. Maybe that is from an old repair to the tenon, or maybe the bowl & shank are not ROPP & the cork was used to get the stem to fit? Maybe it's what we call a Frankenpipe. Otherwise I wouldn't know.

166ab75080.jpg

166a692f45.jpg

166a7b0b7c.jpg

166a8a2995.jpg

166a6c17e3.jpg

Scooterz

Practically Family
It says "Ropp De Luxe
Made in France" on the bottom and there is only one digit "8" a little ways away on the bottom of the bowl. I found some stuff online and it is cork and it is too fit. The tenon is about .025 and the inside of the place it fits is about .032.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21