Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

JC

New in Town
Desperately trying to break in my two and a half year old pipe. Currently smoking "rum & maple", a home "brew" of my local tobbacanist.

It says "Ropp De Luxe
Made in France" on the bottom and there is only one digit "8" a little ways away on the bottom of the bowl. I found some stuff online and it is cork and it is too fit. The tenon is about .025 and the inside of the place it fits is about .032.
Glad you were able to find info online & confirm about the cork. Hopefully you can find a replacement if you need it. Do you think it's Cherrywood?

Scooterz

Practically Family
Yep I think its cherrywood. Also the measurements were .25 and .32. So its about 8mm tenon. I can probably find some cork thin enough to replace it. It still works but its a little loose. i might try to add some wax on it and see if that will snug it up.

I still take Playboy Magazine for the interesting articles:

232yzb.jpg

ruogsh.jpg

Glacierman

New in Town
Grey Haven (McClelland) in an American flamegrain bent Dublin. Pipe was made in May of 1989 by Mark Tinsky of American Smoking Pipe Co. Lovely pipe, great smoke.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Yep I think its cherrywood. Also the measurements were .25 and .32. So its about 8mm tenon. I can probably find some cork thin enough to replace it. It still works but its a little loose. i might try to add some wax on it and see if that will snug it up.

Fixed the Ropp, found cork duck tape at wally world. Its very thin and a little ring of it on the end of the tenon where the original cork was worn off worked. I very lightly sanded it by hand to just thin it to get close to the original thickness and I made a tiny little square piece to patch a little chunk that had fallen out. It snugged up and fits fine now. I only used maybe 1mm strip so I have tons for future repairs and making hat sizing strips. I will probably back the cork with felt since its so thin and the adhesive is already on the tape. Now to decide how to break in this unsmoked cherrywood pipe. After all I feel obligated to "field test" to cork repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ