Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Let's see.... Last night was a Gran Habano with a candela wrapper. It had sat around in my humidor for over two years and the Candela wrapper had faded quite a bit. I was surprised. It had a good draw, looked like a triple cap on it and was well constructed. It came on weak at the start with tea notes. [huh] It warmed up and gave the leather and wood notes later and it got better as it went along. I nubbed that one really short to get as much out of it as possible. Preety weak though for my tastes.
Saturday was a La Gloria Cubana Taino. Been there done that report before. ;) :p
Friday was a three cigar day. Started with a JR cabinet number 70 8 1/2" cigar. :D Went on to a Nub Habano and ended with a Partagas 8-9-8. :D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I stopped at the shop tonight to top off the humidor. From the left: three Montecristo Especial No. 1 (6 5/8 x 44), a Flor De Olivia Serie O double toro (6 x 60), a Rocky Patel ITC 10th Anniversary (6 x 50[?]), and a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (7 x 48). The Vintage '92 is currently being sacrificed to the flames as a midnight treat on the back veranda, accompanied by a tumbler of iced Starbucks and a small plate of shortbread cookies. I think this is my third '92 in as many weeks. Darn this dry air, after only sixty minutes of smoking the wrapper just below the cap dried to the point that it split, but other than being a bother to the lips it has had no effect on the experience.

This time I'm noticing a most unusual finish, almost metallic but not at all unpleasant, if that makes sense. I did have to relight twice after letting my attention wander to other matters, and the new taste occurred after the first relight. I wonder if that was the cause. The initial light was with a cedar split and the subsequent lights were with a butane lighter so I assume it was the smoke sitting in the cigar rather than the source of flame that may have contributed to the taste. Coming up on two hours now and ready to retire for the night (good heavens, it's a quarter 'til two!).

18904151464.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nice pickups Slim.
The ITC 10th had a good score in the Cigar Aficionado from June. That Oliva O is a nice little stick too. I had split a box of the robustos with a fellow about a year back, I may have one or two left, that's about it.
The key to relights, IMHO, is the purge. My procedure is to tap off all of the ash, relight, blow out through the cigar twice, touch up the foot if necessary, and then smoke as usual. Getting rid of the stale smoke inside the cigar body gets it back to near the same flavor before I let it go out, at least for me.

Good to see you smoking and posting more again friend! :eusa_clap

indycop said:
Got the Por Larranags today and could not wait a few days to let them sit. I had one tonight and it was excellent, great draw, even burn, and smooth creamy taste.:D

Oh geez! You're killing me! Mine should arrive today. I guess I know what I am going to smoke tonight. :D
Last night was the third Alec Bradley Supervisor Selection. I tried it to check if the uneven burn would decrease with time and drying out. It did. It did burn slightly uneven but it was easily corrected with rotation this time. This cigar gets better and better. ;) In about six months, It will be just fine. :rolleyes: :p

rmrdaddy said:
Nice pickups Slim.
The ITC 10th had a good score in the Cigar Aficionado from June. That Oliva O is a nice little stick too. I had split a box of the robustos with a fellow about a year back, I may have one or two left, that's about it.
The key to relights, IMHO, is the purge. My procedure is to tap off all of the ash, relight, blow out through the cigar twice, touch up the foot if necessary, and then smoke as usual. Getting rid of the stale smoke inside the cigar body gets it back to near the same flavor before I let it go out, at least for me.

Good to see you smoking and posting more again friend! :eusa_clap

That is all good advice Slim. The only thing I do differently is cut the cigar just above the ash. With a sharp cigar cutter, you don't lose much. ;)

rikrdo

A-List Customer
When I know I'll have to put out a stogie.....
Blow ALL the stale smoke out and when its cooled down, ream out the ash, with a poker of sorts until all you see is fresh baccy.
NO ASH will be left behind.
Blow out a few more times just to be sure.
When you relite the gar will taste almost as good as it originally did.

Just got a package of Casa Torano Churchills and an Illusione Lonsdale.
Any one familiar with the Illusione line ??

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Just had a Benchmade, supposedly a cheap Pepin for Ashton or something like that. It had an unpleasant harshness to it that covered up a decent taste underneath.[huh]

Ok, I got the Por Larranagas last night. I, like IC couldn't wait to open it and try one. They are individually cello wrapped so I figured there would be little problem with being underhumidified. ;) They were not that is for sure.
These things are amazing for the price really. Cuban triple cap, excellent construction, great draw (so much so that I thought it would smoke in five minutes---I was wrong:p ) and a nice silky wrapper. I understand why they are labeled Cuban Grade. They are very much like their cousins from that exotic little island.
It produced copious amounts of creamy smoke, yes IC I agree with you.;) :p It burned slightly uneven but that was likely because I was paying more attention to my son than rotating the cigar. :rolleyes: The flavor was much like a Cuban with leather and wood notes. I could swear it there was ligero in there. :D It was not as described by the seller though---mild to medium. This was a robust cigar with a complex flavor---sneaking in some coffee and floral notes at the end. I would have smoked it to just about the end had it not gone out. :p
I would definitely not say mild though as it had as much punch as a Partagas from that exotic little island. I was quite surprised that it sneaked up on me. I can agree with Cigar Aficionado on this one. It does rate just below its Cuban counterpart. Someone in that cigar company has been doing his homework. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Yep I had another Por Larranaga tonight and I realized I should have bought a couple of boxes at the price they were. :eusa_doh: I think they went up a bit now...:eusa_doh:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoyed a 5 Vegas Miami tonight, with a Old Rasputin Stout.
That's a nice cigar. I have tried another 5 Vegas cigar and was
not impressed. This one was full bodied, with momentary hints
of vanilla and nuts. Excellent draw, too.

Looks like I should pick up some Por Larrañaga Cuban Grade, too.
I take it you guys are enjoying the natural wrapper, not the maduro?

feltfan said:
I enjoyed a 5 Vegas Miami tonight, with a Old Rasputin Stout.
That's a nice cigar. I have tried another 5 Vegas cigar and was
not impressed. This one was full bodied, with momentary hints
of vanilla and nuts. Excellent draw, too.

Yep, natural but I understand the maduro is slightly better. :D
Last night was a Jose L. Piedra. I forget when and where I got it but I found it in the bottom of the humidor with a Partagas Serie D. Yeah, yeah I know I smoked the wrong one first but I wanted to get it out of the way since I haven't tried a Piedra before. A pretty simple cigar.
It is a lighter bodied pantela size. I was not impressed with the cap but the cigar draws nicely developing earthy, rawer, slightly punchy flavors, a solid, native, more rustic cigar at a very fair price. It wasn't exactly Backwoods looking but it was definitely not smooth shiny and constructed by experienced hand rollers---not even experienced machine rollers. :p
It is a decent cigar but there are much better out there. Saying that though, I would give another a try because my palate was slightly damaged due to eating an overly hot soup for lunch. :eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I ordered the natural and I think this is the best deal I have ordered these things are great!:D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Nope they haven't:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CB-4PB5050-M&cat=5
I was thinking of ordering the maduro wrapper incarnation next. :D
Something went up cos when I ordered the cheapest box was 29.99 and the next was 31.99 and up from there. But still a good deal for how good these things are!
I don't know if I want to stick with the natural which I KNOW is great or try the maduro. I also can't decide if I should get the smallest size for a quicker smoke or something like the Toro.:eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Ordered some Isla Del Sol from Cigars International last night. These are made by Drew Estates and supposed to have a coffee taste, I guess I will see Monday when they arrive.:rolleyes:

indycop said:
Something went up cos when I ordered the cheapest box was 29.99 and the next was 31.99 and up from there. But still a good deal for how good these things are!
I don't know if I want to stick with the natural which I KNOW is great or try the maduro. I also can't decide if I should get the smallest size for a quicker smoke or something like the Toro.:eusa_doh:

I got the robusto. They went up a bit but like you said, better than the other price listed. :p
Take a chance. You will be out less than with those dogrockets. ;) :p If you don't like them, you can send them to me. :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I got the robusto. They went up a bit but like you said, better than the other price listed. :p
Take a chance. You will be out less than with those dogrockets. ;) :p If you don't like them, you can send them to me. :p
I saw them on a different sight last night going for $101! What do you think about the smallest size, a good quick smoke or will get too hot cos it's so small?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick