Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
brylcreem boy said:
My neighbor took me out for brunch today.. afterwards we made a stop at his favorite Cigar shop where he urged me to try a good cigar. Not being a smoker I was reluctant, but I agreed. It was a Ashton Maduro... and to my surprise I found it to be very smooth and really enjoyed it...
And thus it begins...

MissS

A-List Customer
Dunhill Corona last night. Nice easy draw, spicy flavours, which went well with my spice poached pear and chocolate sauce.

Oh and I tried lighting it with a cedar stick, but the cedar burnt too quickly, so I reverted to the lighter. How do those cedar things work gents?

rikrdo

A-List Customer
MissS said:
Oh and I tried lighting it with a cedar stick, but the cedar burnt too quickly, so I reverted to the lighter. How do those cedar things work gents?

MissS:
I like to take the cedar planks and fold them length wise 2 or 3 times (depending on the width).
This helps the wood to burn slower and allow you to properly ignite your stogie.

BTW......it is the best way to light a cigar :D

MissS said:
Dunhill Corona last night. Nice easy draw, spicy flavours, which went well with my spice poached pear and chocolate sauce.

I use three cedar sticks to light my cigars so they don't burn out. One to toast the foot a bit, another to get it just right and another to actually light it. Works great and if you are in a hurry then the cigar should wait. ;) :D

MissS

A-List Customer
rikrdo, they were only the length of a cigarette, so I don't think folding is going to work, unless I can get some longer ones.

JP, not so much in a hurry, more so that I was on cedar stick rations! I'll make sure I'll grab a handful next time!

Thanks, guys. I'll give it another go and try not to burn my fingers next time! Or I may just get lazy and follow indycop's lead and use matches!

MissS said:
rikrdo, they were only the length of a cigarette, so I don't think folding is going to work, unless I can get some longer ones.

JP, not so much in a hurry, more so that I was on cedar stick rations! I'll make sure I'll grab a handful next time!

Thanks, guys. I'll give it another go and try not to burn my fingers next time! Or I may just get lazy and follow indycop's lead and use matches!

Rationed?! :eusa_doh: :p
Well stick matches work in a pinch. :D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
MissS,
I would advise to grab a few more next time, and use 2 of them if possible. As with wood stick matches, I use a pair of them, and fan them out a bit from head to foot. Leaving a space between the 2 match/cedar spill heads, will effectively give you a wide, fan shaped flame. I find this will more completely light the foot of the cigar in a shorter time.
Keep at it!

MissS

A-List Customer
rmrdaddy said:
MissS,
I would advise to grab a few more next time, and use 2 of them if possible. As with wood stick matches, I use a pair of them, and fan them out a bit from head to foot. Leaving a space between the 2 match/cedar spill heads, will effectively give you a wide, fan shaped flame. I find this will more completely light the foot of the cigar in a shorter time.
Keep at it!

Oooh, fancy! :) I'll see if I can figure this one out. Fingers crossed that I don't set myself alight - fire and I are a lethal combination!

Indy, what is a coolidor?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MissS said:
Indy, what is a coolidor?
A coolidor is a cheap humidor for folks like me that could either have a 100 cigar capacity humidor or some cigars to smoke but not both!:D lol
Seriously it is an easy and cheap humidor. Get a cooler, your typical camping drink holding variety with a good seal. You can put cedar in it or just put some empty wooden cigar boxes in there. I have a couple of drew estates brands that have tobacco leaves around the box so I just put all that in there. Then a Hygrometer to check your temp and humidity and a humidification device. I don't have a lot of cigars and with the wife smoking them too they go fast anyway so I have a 48 quart cooler. I also noticed that the temp. in my coolider is much lower than in my humidor so I don't even use my humi's anymore, just my coolidor.:D

MissS

A-List Customer
indycop said:
A coolidor is a cheap humidor for folks like me that could either have a 100 cigar capacity humidor or some cigars to smoke but not both!:D lol
Seriously it is an easy and cheap humidor. Get a cooler, your typical camping drink holding variety with a good seal. You can put cedar in it or just put some empty wooden cigar boxes in there. I have a couple of drew estates brands that have tobacco leaves around the box so I just put all that in there. Then a Hygrometer to check your temp and humidity and a humidification device. I don't have a lot of cigars and with the wife smoking them too they go fast anyway so I have a 48 quart cooler. I also noticed that the temp. in my coolider is much lower than in my humidor so I don't even use my humi's anymore, just my coolidor.:D

Aha! We call them an esky in our part of the world. Thanks for the tip!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Tonight I had one of 2 remaining Bolivars. I think this one was the best yet, Best draw, taste, and nice slow burn.

I have noticed that after having my coolidor up and running for a couple of weeks now that my cigars have been much better. I don't know if it's because the overall temperature is lower or what but I can tell a difference in them.:)

I will test that theory on one of my Por Larranagas tom.:D ;)

MissS

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Does that mean I can tell people I have an eskidor, eskydor?:D

One does not use the word 'esky' unless one can add a long drawn out 'maaaate' after it, so if you can pull that off, Indy, go ahead! And don't forget to do it with an Akubra on your head and beer in the hand. lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MissS said:
One does not use the word 'esky' unless one can add a long drawn out 'maaaate' after it, so if you can pull that off, Indy, go ahead! And don't forget to do it with an Akubra on your head and beer in the hand. lol
I have the Akubra and the beer, I will try it out tonight when we dig out the next cigars.:D Of course I am sure I will hear, what the heck are you saying!lol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
They did indeed. It did take a while but I only got two of the three I ordered. Someone might have caught on I suppose. They were very good cigars. A little mild for my taste but good enough.
At least they weren't at the sick stage like the ammonia flavored ones I got from Romeo y Julieta. Reminded me of smoking menthol cigarettes. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
I suppose patience will prevail. If they charged your card then you will get it soon after.
Thanks. Patience prevailed. They arrived yesterday.
Looks like a good deal. I'm waiting for them to "acclimate".

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
And thus it begins...

And thus it begins is correct Slim, I smoked my extra Ashton Maduro the following evening following dinner, under the stars on my patio it was great. Today I stopped at the same shop and did a little exploring, I had another Ashton- but this time it was a San Cristobal Fabuloso... I liked the torpedo tip, I found the smoke to pull through much easier, I quickly noticed it was much stronger or should I say more full-bodied compared to my last one, it also had a noticable spice to it. I think I will try a different brand next time, any suggestions. I felt more comfortable with the torpedo tip, for some reason I did not seem to draw alot of smoke from my 1st two with the round tip and felt very much like a novice.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. Not a bad smoke.
Oily, smooth, consistent, and a nice draw.

But I'm too cheap to smoke 'em often. Sigh.

I'm almost ready to start a thread on what to pair
with your cigar. I smoked the Patel while drinking a
Green Flash IPA. A high hops IPA isn't a bad choice
with a cigar. I have not been impressed with stouts-
they just don't hold up to the cigar. Whiskey seems
to be the most reliable choice. Any other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick