Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color hat with Cocoa brown w/white pinstriped suit?

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
OK I'm a newby in the world of vintage clothing and fedoras and this is my first post. I just bought a great suit with a 40’s date, that fits me like it was tailored for me. It is Coco brown with white pen strips. I ordered a soft wool fedora from Hats in The Belfry. It is a dark brown and I am unsure if it is appropriate with the suit. Any assistance is appreciated.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge Mr. B! I don't think you need worry about a brown hat clashing with any brown suit. They should complement each other nicely, in fact.

Wool felts are good starters to see if you have the hat bug, without a big investment. For more durability, shapeability and a finer look, you'll want a fur felt for your next hat.

Stick around and sit in on some of our hat and suit discussions! They can get pretty lively.

Stoney

Practically Family
scotrace said:
You can wear that brown hat with just about anything except black. A good choice for the first hat.

Welcome!
Normally I would agree. It depends upon the hat.

I have a very dark brown hat with a 2 1/4 " Black Ribbon that looks fine with a black suit. Most people will tell you to never wear a brown hat with black, but they are both neutral colors. If the shade of brown is dark rather than light you may look OK with it. If it's a light brown, you had better follow Scotrace's advice.

Of course if there were really a fashion police, I would have been incarcereted years ago.

Welcome to the lounge. Enjoy the new duds and hat.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, from one Bowers to another!

If you're feeling really daring, wear a cream-colored hat with a brown ribbon and bound edge that complements the suit. You'd have to go custom to get that combination, but I don't think you could ask for a better look. It would be swell for spring and summer.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran