Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color hat?

D

drafttek

Color coordinating has never been one of my better abilities. Are there any rules of thumb as to what color hat, a fedora, goes with certain color suits? Now, I know a brown fedora doesn't go with a black suit. But what about a grey suit? A grey fedora only? Or will black do just as well? Specifically, how about a dark grey suit, with just a hint of green, and subdued pinstripes?

Bob Loblaw

New in Town
I'd like to know as well. Was it common for the average man to own multiple hats and match them to suits? I always had an image of a man running out the door and grabbing just a single hat off a rack.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Matching Guide

I also am horrible at matching, but found this reference on the Lounge earlier this year. I copied it to my computer, but unfortunately don't know which thread it came from, or who posted it. Here it is:

Hat Colour
The colour of the suit or outerwear will determine the colour of hat required. Furthermore certain coloured hats will suit certain colourings more than others.

Light Grey hat: best with Fair skin, blond and brown hair. Wear with Blue, Navy, Dark Grey and Black

Dark Grey hat: best with Fair skin, blond and brown hair. Wear with Grey and Green.

Navy hat: Good with blue eyes and any colour of hair but particularly suits auburn and red heads. Dark navys with fair skin is not recommended. Wear with Navy blue and grey, brown and tan.

Brown hat: Suits dark and ruddy skins and auburn and red heads, although can be worn by any complexion. Wear with Brown, green, olive and tan. Can be occasionally worn with navy.

Greet hat: Favoured by blond and brown haired gentlemen, although can be worn by any colour hair. Wear with Green, olive, brown. Sometimes worn with navy.

ortega76

Practically Family
Black is a great hat color and the hat color I recommend to people when they ask my opinion on a first hat. Why? I find many people have a modern wardrobe that's heavy on black or gray so a black hat fits in with their lifestyle.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
There's a major hat color that's inexplicably missing from this list: black. [huh]

I agree, I noticed the same thing. Maybe it was omitted thinking that black goes with almost any color. Or perhaps just overlooked?

I still haven't been able to find the thread that I pulled the list from. It was back in May around Straw Hat Day.

John J

Familiar Face
Initial color spread advice PLEASE.

Good afternoon gents. I hope all is well.

Color help, I want to cover most bases.

I have ; Builtmore Rosallini in Birch

;Builtmore florence in steel (do all color if not a tad too common).

For primary winter hat Id like to order a hat from ART (Wilshire style model) my primary outer coats are black or charcoal

Art suggested Charcoal felt But charcoal is too easy to get off rack (nothing special), Art then Strongly suggested the black cherry , he advised he has some older stock that is almost black and will go with almost anything(?????).

since I have $$ in the que with Bob Ill have him make me (when he gets back) his Regulateur (realy like this one) in perhaps a dark/darkish brown? Its a sporty hat and I'm thinking the brown will work with Navy, mid blue, charcoal, black and greenish/brownish tweed sport coats , The brown should also go well ??,with all my bright wool sweaters , maroon, purple, Navy,robin egg blue, berry, rust, orange, ...

your thoughts please Esp on the black cherry < I did post about the cherry before I'm just trying to finalize my decision.

My other option for the regulateur maybe a NAVY or Eggplant?? but the brown seems a better choice.

many thanks

'John"

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Based on your post, you're most daring in fashion that I am. I wear earth tones with other earth tones, no navy and brown etc. I wear grays with other grays, blacks, and blues. I wouldn't buy either a Granite or Silverbelly hat because they look different in varying light. I like to have SOME idea what I'll look like when I leave the house. Just trying to not look really silly.

later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The primary consideration when choosing a hat color is how the color compliments your skin tone. The wrong color or the wrong shade of a color can have an adverse effect on your facial complexion, making you look drawn and sickly. Conversely, complimenting your skin tone with the right color or shade of color will serve to project a healthy look. The color of all garments and accessories worn near your face (shirts, jackets, coats, scarves, ties, eyeglass frames, etc...) will have a similar effect.

This is one reason you really need to try on a hat before you buy.

It's good to have the colors of the various pieces of your wardrobe complement each other but it's all for naught if those colors don't compliment your skin tone.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Black cherry is a great color. An Art can really make a simple color pop with his ribbon work so Charcoal would work also.
Always have silverbelly as one of your hat colors as you can wear it with anything.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
1961mjs always looks good in his hats, but I have to say I actually like it when hats change their color in various lighting.

Also agree with ac lyles. But I never know whether a contrasting color or a similar color would promote the healthier complexion. Can you weigh in on this, ac lyles?

Black cherry light weight from art looks extremely versatile, but I'm also very fond of my falcon park black cherry dress weight. I even use it in place of midnite blue, at times, with my black tuxedo.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
When buying your first hats, it's a good idea to try them on before buying. But it's a bit like attending restaurants. Once you have learned how pork, lamb and beef taste, and how the different meats appeal to your taste, you will be able to order without asking the waiter to taste before ordering ;)

Yes, complexion is a matter to take into consideration, but in my opinion not as the 'primary'. Being a blond guy (aged into grey) that lives in a rather cold climate, I have a quite pale/greyish skin tone most of the year. If I went on a two week winter vacation in southern Spain or sunny Australia, I would have to go back and roll out my featherweights and panamas in the end of January - or buy a whole new collection, that fits my new skin tone. I can't imagine, that will ever happen :)

A brown and a black cherry will in my opinion be a very versatile combination, that will go with a lot of different clothing. The ribbon is also quite important, as it can change the visual expression quite a lot. If I remember right, Rabbit made a series of picture-combos about half a year ago. They showed hats in some of Art Fawcett's felt colors in combination with different ribbon colors/widths and was very educational. I can't find the thread right now, though [huh]

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Though I have browns and grays I usually wear silverbelly, mostly because of my color blindness. It is easier to pass inspection by the wife before leaving the house with silverbelly as it goes with almost anything. I have been known to wear some wild combinations occasionally that look just fine with me but never with silverbelly.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Though I have browns and grays I usually wear silverbelly, mostly because of my color blindness. It is easier to pass inspection by the wife before leaving the house with silverbelly as it goes with almost anything. I have been known to wear some wild combinations occasionally that look just fine with me but never with silverbelly.
Not a bad point! After all, almost 10% of all men (and 0.5-1% of all women) are colorblind to some degree. Silverbelly and some other light colors (in my opinion, dove is another) are quite neutral and could be a good card in the hole, if you are uncertain when evaluating colors

When buying your first hats, it's a good idea to try them on before buying. But it's a bit like attending restaurants. Once you have learned how pork, lamb and beef taste, and how the different meats appeal to your taste, you will be able to order without asking the waiter to taste before ordering ;)

I know many of you fellows like ordering and buying online, and I know I'm probably missing out, but I wouldn't buy a hat I didn't try on. It's just a personal decision with me, and a hang-up I have, I guess.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I often wonder what surprises would await me if I were to actually go to a hatter and try on various styles, colors, etc., if it were the least bit accessible to me from my location. I suspect a hatter would suggest things in person that I had never dreamt of previously, in terms of color, style, dimensions, etc.
Still, I feel that I've acquired enough of a collection to have benefited from trial and error at this point, and usually there isn't too much guesswork anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass