Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour fedora?

George A.Bailey

New in Town
Just trying to find the right colour fedora which would go best with this colour suit.

Apologies for the poor visibility, unfortunately a decent camera wasn't available to me, but the colour is a definate dark olive green.

4926967973_592efafa74.jpg

4926969003_d6253e854e.jpg

Despite Green being the most obvious choice here, I'd like to stay away from hat colours that aren't very common (if this is possible).

Last edited by a moderator:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
George A.Bailey said:
Just trying to find the right colour fedora which would go best with this colour suit.

Apologies for the poor visibility, unfortunately a decent camera wasn't available to me, but the colour is a definate dark olive green.

4926967973_592efafa74.jpg

4926969003_d6253e854e.jpg

Despite Green being the most obvious choice here, I'd like to stay away from hat colours that aren't very common (if this is possible).
Actually I think a lot of green hats are available. However, myself, I don't necessarily like matching too closely sometimes because it might be more of an "outfit" look than a man ought to have. I would try hats in the brown family--tan, medium brown, and dark brown. For sure gray would clash. Trial and error though. I'm not sure I could imagine in advance how a particular shade of brown would look with that suit, and some might not work, but I think brown is your hat color for it.

danofarlington

George A.Bailey said:

Oh--and, of course, light-colored hats would definitely work: maybe silver belly (like a Stetson Open Road or a Campdraft), or an off white or cream color hat.

jwalls

Vendor
I just finished a 1500 fedora in green with a green gray binding and 1" ribbon that should go with suit. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

George A.Bailey

New in Town
danofarlington said:
Actually I think a lot of green hats are available. However, myself, I don't necessarily like matching too closely sometimes because it might be more of an "outfit" look than a man ought to have. I would try hats in the brown family--tan, medium brown, and dark brown. For sure gray would clash. Trial and error though. I'm not sure I could imagine in advance how a particular shade of brown would look with that suit, and some might not work, but I think brown is your hat color for it.

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a green hat being worn or sold, with the exception of Michael Kitchen in Anthony Horowitz's Foyle's war, which he wears with a grey suit (doesn't look half bad, actually.)

I did have brown in mind, as a matter of fact. It would look fairly decent with the olive, if not too light. I admit it is hard for you to say, though. As the pictures are not very good. I'll try get some better ones taken tomorrom.

danofarlington

George A.Bailey said:
Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a green hat being worn or sold, .
The ones I know about are vintage hats (I have one, and Digo Cat has another vintage one pictured on one of the threads today). They are an olive shade. Apparently green and olive were big in the 1950s and 1960s. There is also a family of green hats from Akubra, but probably most of the particular models are casual-clothes or country type hats as oppoed to dress hats, which is what you need with a suit. Miller Hats (www.millerhats.com) seemed to love green in their men's dress hats. I think there are probably enough new and old green hats to go around, although green isn't my favorite hat color and I am no expert.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
A light grey if you wear black shoes, or a light brown (anything from camel to Akubra silver belly) if you wear brown shoes...

johnnycanuck

IMO a suit that light is a casual suit. I think a nice Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft would go nicely with it.

my two cents worth.

Johnny

Torpedo

One Too Many
By what you say (dark olive green) the suit is darker than it looks in the pic.

Speaking of the hat, normally, some contrast is better, so, if you want it green, take a noticeably darker or lighter hat. Do not try to match the colour.

Also, no need for it to be green; complementary colours would be fine, like browns or tans. Grey, being a neutral, would do too, but beware of the colour temperature; the suit looks like a warm green, so a granite grey would go nicely.

As has already been mentioned, the colours of the other garments you are going to use are important for the final decision.

As you see, there is not a single "right hat" to go with that suit, you have quite a few choices.;)

Regards!

Undertow

If at first you're unsure - go gray. I can't view the picture at this time, but a dark or really dark olive color should be fine with a dark to medium-dark gray.

On the other hand, I don't know why a brown wouldn't do. In fact, a medium brown would probably work well.

There are really four major hat colors that coordinate well with nearly everything. Black, Navy, Grays, and Medium browns. You could own one of each color and match them to nearly any suit.

My question to you is what color shoes will you wear with the suit? Certainly not green. Will you wear black, cordovan, brown? Although not a rule of thumb, you may try matching your hat to your shoes (and belt?) if you're in a pinch.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
i agree here. the most versatile color you can probably own is gray or mid/dark brown (think chocolate).

in terms of gray- you have gray with tan hues and blue hues etc...that's its own discussion. but i think a neutral gray is THE hat color to own if you are going to have one hat. followed by a brown

Tobzors

New in Town
Hello. I also have a question regarding hat color and suit. I thought that instead of making a whole new thread I'll just post it here.

The suit is Magnoli's dillinger suit, which I am totally in love with:
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/dillinger-suit-tailor-made-suits-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-362.html

I'll be going for the same color as depictied, the dark blue with stripes. I think a black fedora would go along well, but I also think a grey fedora would look decent. I'd like to hear your opinions.

By the way, Ive been lurking these boards for some time, but only signed up now. So handle me with care please :) Nice to finally be here.

danofarlington

Tobzors said:
Hello. I also have a question regarding hat color and suit. I thought that instead of making a whole new thread I'll just post it here.

The suit is Magnoli's dillinger suit, which I am totally in love with:
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/dillinger-suit-tailor-made-suits-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-362.html

I'll be going for the same color as depictied, the dark blue with stripes. I think a black fedora would go along well, but I also think a grey fedora would look decent. I'd like to hear your opinions.

By the way, Ive been lurking these boards for some time, but only signed up now. So handle me with care please :) Nice to finally be here.
Nice suit. A gray of almost any color would work. Black will work too, but in my opinion make the whole thing more dramatic in effect, like you're trying to make a big impression, so most times I'd go for the gray. That's just my reaction.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Grey would be a safe option, as said. Some shades of brown and tan would go well too, if you want to be a bit more adventurous - brown felts can be combined with blue suits, if you choose the right shades.

danofarlington

Torpedo said:
if you want to be a bit more adventurous - brown felts can be combined with blue suits, if you choose the right shades.
I believe so. I try them on at home sometimes with my brown hats and blue blazer and blue suit. The result of my own combinations is that although a lot of brown hats will go with the blue sportcoat, as the whole thing is more casual, with the blue suit, I personally would only venture a dark brown hat with it, of which I have several, the combination being very sober and serious-looking. I wished it to be otherwise, remembering Jimmy Stewart in one or two Alfred Hitchcock movies wearing a medium chocolate brown hat with a blue suit, and it looked excellent. Although it worked for him in the 50s or 60s, same color hat and suit didn't look right to me in the mirror in 2010. Maybe others will disagree (even better to disagree in a picture). I guess you'll just have to log some mirror time.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

From my files... here I am wearing a blue DB with a brown hat. This one has a reddish chocolate colour.

Brown hats are often shown with blue (and grey) suits in old ads, and they look usually good.

DSC_0451.jpg

danofarlington

Torpedo said:
Hello,

From my files... here I am wearing a blue DB with a brown hat. This one has a reddish chocolate colour.

Brown hats are often shown with blue (and grey) suits in old ads, and they look usually good.

DSC_0451.jpg
Well, that seems to work.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
How formal do you want to be? Black and charcoal gray would keep it on the formal side. Medium gray and dark brown less formal. Lighter colors would be along the "making a statement" lines. Or you could really blow people's minds and go with white. White hat, shoes and belt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran