Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *Could* You Do Without?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
VintageJess said:
I could really do without the hurry-up, 24/7, frenetic pace of life that seems to take hold of us more and more each day, and all that we sacrifice for the sake of "convenience." Things like chatting with an actual bank teller, sitting down to a table for a family meal, reading the neighborhood news in the daily paper, leisurely walks to the corner store...

Amen to that. It's one big reason why I choose to live where I do -- in a little working-class neighborhood where I can walk downtown and feel like I'm a part of a community rather than be sequestered off somewhere in an antiseptic suburban McHouse. Nertz to that.

The whole concept of "Suburbia" is something that belongs on my Could Do Without list, actually. It's done little but make us an insulated, isolated, self-absorbed society, to say nothing of the environmental damage that goes with all the support structure necessary to sustain it. Levittown has a lot to answer for.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
The whole concept of "Suburbia" is something that belongs on my Could Do Without list, actually. It's done little but make us an insulated, isolated, self-absorbed society, to say nothing of the environmental damage that goes with all the support structure necessary to sustain it. Levittown has a lot to answer for.

AMEN to that! I love going home to my hometown (population 1,600) because people are just so darn friendly. They don't mind saying hello to you or even looking you in the face and giving you a friendly smile. Can't find that much in the city.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Things

... I could do without:

Well, let's start with obnoxiously loud cell phone ringtones that play the "1812 Overture" or "Fur Elise" or any other sound other than "riiiinnnnggg."

Then, subdivisions with attempts at elegant-sounding but totally ridiculous names like "Olde Whispering Charleston Ridge" filled with cookie-cutter houses with little clipped-to-death shrubbery that look like little tater-tots growing out of the ground.

WalMart. And all its cousins.

People whose names are neither "Abercrombie" nor "Fitch" nor "Old" nor "Navy" (and so on) who insist in walking around with these names all over their bodies.

Pierced body parts in places that look both silly and painful. I'd just rather not know.

And, Hummers.

And, Malls.

And, Almost all daytime television.

Stay tuned. I'm probably not finished! :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap good list Braxton! Except I do like my Wally world, but it is something I can live without.
Body piercing: what's up with that? my brother got his tongue pierced not too long ago..couldn't even talk right...to me, it was stupidity at it's finest.:rolleyes: luckily, for me and the rest of the family that had to endure the barbells hanging out of the tongue look, the tongue got infected...whohooo!!!:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Everything by "Abercrombie & Fitch" that's ventilated and pre-shabbified.

Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise smiling out at me from supermarket checkout tabloids and magazines.

Someone whose initials are G and B, wedged by a W.

Someone whose initials are O and L, wedged by a B.

Coach class on airplanes.

The "food" in coach class:

Spoon300.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Oh yes, add that to my list. I can't stand those "how big of an idiot can I make of myself on national TV" shows. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Or, "I'll do anything for money and 15 minutes of fame!" :mad:

Hmmm,...sounds like a brilliant idea for a new game show for this fall's season! I think I'll get to work on this right away. :D

MelissaAnne said:
-the high cost of books

Forgot about that. What's with the cost of books anyway? The man wants to make it expensive for you to learn anything? Annoys me too. Buy second hand!!!!!! A buck will buy you almost any book available. The risk is that it's been underlined in fluorescent marker! Do people really think that highlighting in marker will help them learn? Reminds me of a guy i was in dorms with in freshman year. He thought that an excellent study strategy was to fall asleep over his books. Didn't get very far with his studies, as you can imagine.

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Spoon300.jpg

It's a good thing they give you the large instruction (enjoy!), otherwise you wouldn't know what you were supposed to do with that... meal? snack?

magneto

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Were the ones from the '60s any better?

Welll, you *are* speaking to someone who plays with a CDC 6600 mainframe emulator for fun...back from the good old days when we girls were usually the ones feeding the machines ;)

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Buy second hand!!!!!! A buck will buy you almost any book available.

I managed to buy a couple of used paperbacks on Amazon.com the other day - one for a penny, the other for 46 cents. I thought I was doing great! Unfortunately, the shipping shot it up to $7.

I remember when I could buy a new paperback for $4.50 Now it's almost double that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy