Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What *Could* You Do Without?

Wild Root

Gone Home
otterhound said:
Strawberries that taste like cardboard. Peaches that taste like wet papier mache.

Actually, on rare occasions I can find an edible fresh peach. I gave up on strawberries years ago.

Brother, you need to come to California to enjoy some real fresh fruit... you wont get it in the stores but, come to one of many farmer's markets and get the goods! I'm telling you, they're amazing!!!

=WR=

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Most people I know don't buy their strawberries at the grocery store...but if in desperation, I've heard the trick is to cut up the berries and place them in a bowl to soak in sugar water overnight in the refridgerator. Farmers markets are the way to go..and usually it's cheaper than buying them at the grocery store also

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
VintageJess's husband is ten times the man that John Wayne was.

Marc,

Sorry, I somehow missed this post...Wow, I certainly appreciate the sentiment and have passed it along to the hubby.
He just shrugged and said, "I just do my job--the real men are the ones that are no longer here with us."

(Both sad and ironic how so many of those real men were only in their teens when they made their ultimate sacrifice.)

Respectfully,
Jessica

HistWardrobe

Vendor
things I could do without

Annoying as telemarketers are, it's almost time to start getting nostalgic for "the good old days when you got a live human telemarketer instead of a recording. I utterly hate these recorded junk calls.. Aarrrggghh! Especially the ones that fill up your voice mail. At least email spam can be deleted a lot quicker.

Speaking of voice mail, while it's broadly A Good Thing on several fronts, what I don't like is that nobody covers other people's phones anymore. You call an office where you'd be perfectly happy to speak with anyone in that department but if the person with the number you have is away, good luck reaching someone else who can help you.

Oh, back to telemarketers. Another thing I hate is people who dont know me and will never know me addressing me by my first name, as if I were a child, their servant or a puppy dog. The effrontery!

Clothing: the fad for having stuff written on the seat of one's pants is something I could do without. Saw a rather portly teen the other day wearing sweatpants that said "perfect" on the butt in large letters. Definitely a truth in packaging violation!

People who are famous merely for being famous bore the beejeebers out of me.

....An old curmudgeon, who remembers when "Spam" was just a meat product, "Paris Hilton" was just a hotel.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24