Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT did I just do to my hair...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Another 80s story

My hair has almost always been the same since I was a child and the only person to cut it was my Aunt who was a hairdresser. She was giving it a trim and asking what I wanted. I asked for a bit of a fringe and she did that (no problem). Then I really, really stressed to her that I DID NOT want the sides cut short round my ears which was a nasty thing going round at the time. She then promptly cut off one side! I was so shocked I shrieked at her and she said 'But you just asked me to do it!' which of course was the complete opposite of what I had said. So then she had to do the other side to match.
I hated it. It looked awful and I spent the next year growing it out. :mad:

TabbyKat

New in Town
Ah. Hair horror stories. I have two memorable ones, though the first one was not anything I myself did, unless you count falling asleep.

I was visting with my cousin and we had gotten a bit tipsy. I fell asleep draped over her recliner, somewhat like a cheap coat. I must have passed out like the dead because I woke up about three hours later. I stumbled to the shower, got in, and started washing my hair. The first thing that got me was that it felt goopy. The second thing was the Psycho-like swirl of colour going down the drain, except this was blue! :eek: Yup, my at-the-time light blonde hair had been dyed bright blue. Thankfully, it was Manic Panic dye, and it came out after several vigorous shampoos . But boy was I upset! :rage:

The second was all my fault. I had gotten my hair cut into a VERY short bob. My hair is naturally thick and "fluffy", so that started things out terribly. To add insult to injury, I ended up dying it black because "Boy, wouldn't that look cute!" I have rather pale skin and am naturally strawberry blonde, so you can imagine how well that worked. After that, I decided it had already been mistreated enough, so I opted to let it grow out, black and all. Several months later, and with about two inches of roots showing all over, my DH went to get a haircut. I got one as well. NEVER GET A HAIRCUT IN ALABAMA! They gave me a very short cut (removed all the black) and left me with something that looked like a mullet in the front and....a standard mens cut in the back.

I hve since let my hair grow down to almost waist length! lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
When I was in 9th grade I wanted to dye my hair a dark, dark blue that shines vibrant blue in the sun. So I got dark blue vegetable dye, the kind punk kids use to dye their hair, and put it over my naturally light/medium brown hair for quite a few hours (my mom wouldn't let me bleach it first). It looked great for about a week, but when it started fading, it faded into a crazy brownish GREEN color. Some strands were bright aqua, but most of it was pretty gross and dull. At school an older girl came up to me and was like, "What the hell kind of color is your hair supposed to be? Green? Grey? What!". For some reason I wasn't too embarassed though.

What really embarrassed me was when I used another brand of dye and it stained my whole body purple for a few days! That was a bad, bad week for me.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I have had success with hairdye about 9/10 times... but that 1 time that I screwed it up I screwed it up bad...

I have naturally pretty light blonde hair. It is pretty in the summer, but in the winter it looks ashy and dull and that is when I start to yearn for reddish hair. In school I did various shades of warmer blonde and even a deep copper very successfully. When I got tired of the dark copper I went to a strawberry blonde (my favorite so far) and then bobbed it back and let the natural color grow out again. After a few years, I went back to some warmer shades of blonde (though I went a little too dark which didn't look very natural on me) and then disaster struck. Instead of using a copper (orange-based) red I used a red/violet based red which, on my naturally light hair, showed up pink. Well, it didn't really look pink in indoor lighting but when I caught my reflection in storefront windows it sure enough was pink. I have since grown that disaster out... but it has kept me from even experimenting with warmer blonde or copper shades since then...

Nashoba

One Too Many
I tend to experiment with my hair while my husband is deployed so if I have a disaster he doens't see it :). The last time he left I decided to dye my hair black. My hair is naturally almost black anyway in winter and has auburn highlights in summer. I liked it the first month which was september when I still had a good summer tan. (I'm american indian, italian, and eastern european so i get really dark in the summer but tend to lose a lot of color in the winter) I dyed it again in October but by December it looked a bit harsh. I went to the salon to have it corrected. Apparently when I had dyed it I had used a really heavy hand. It took 6 hours of bleaching an all over and toning to correct it. And almost $300. I'll never dye my hair myself again.
My other hair horror was about 5 years ago I went to a Fantastic Sams to have my hair done for the Marine Corps Ball. It's like a chain hair cut and style place. I told the lady from the get go that my hair won't heat set so what's the first thing she does? washes my hair puts it in rollers (without setting lotion) and puts me under the dryers. 2 HOURS later my hair was still damp (I have long hair and a lot of it) and when she took the rollers out it, it was almost straight (and I have a natural wave). When she finally gave up and took out the curling iron, she complained about my hair the whole time and how horrible it was. And I had apparently picked the only updo she'd never done in the book (she had no creativity. usually i bring my dress and tell the stylist go. she MADE me pick from the book and I hate that) so she complained about that too. It took her 5 hours to do my hair. After that I only went to good reputable salons to get my hair styled. Although these days since I've gotten fairly decent at setting my hair in vintage styles I usually do it myself.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Because Middle School wasn't tough enough...

When it comes to color, I've generally had pretty good luck. I've died my hair different shades over the years everything from blue highlights to fireball red, black, light blonde in front and black in back.. I've had some disasters from trying to process my hair too quickly. I.e. Sure it's black but I'll just go strip the black out, bleach it and then die it red... All in one night and never touching a conditioner bottle inbetween... Those left my hair damaged and frizzed..

The worst though, the absolute worst?! Seventh grade... I decided I wanted a new hair cut to start out the school year. My hair at the time was naturally red/brown, ultra thick (still is) and has an ultra noticible finger wave. It was shoulder length, kind of blah.. I wanted something neat and 'funky'..
My mother (who wears her hair boy-short all the time) decided to take me to her stylist.. (if you could call her that) the woman set to work on me. i don't think she even asked me what i wanted. :mad: In the end, my shoulder length hair was completely gone. It was maybe three inches all the way around and the cowlicks were already forming. :eek:
The stylist suggested several different ways to keep the cowlicks under control, and sent us on our way. My mother felt that styling products were a frivolus expense and home I went. Needless to say, it was a long and painful grow out..Usuall with a different uncontroled cowlick in a different place as my finger waves started to show.

Long story short... I couldn't find myself in the school yearbook, and neither could my father. Although my mother still swears it was the best hair cut I ever had.. :rage:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've always colored my own hair and had very good luck! My two hair disasters were, sadly, intentional. The first was when I got a perm in high school and for some unknown reason, my aunt cut my hair. It was super curly and short - which, I'm a huge fan of short hair - but this was an awful style that just looked terrible with the perm. My hair holds curl EXTREMELY well, so I looked like Little Orphan Annie for about 6 months!

The second was when I went through a goth phase and dyed my auburn hair purple in high school. I thought I was soooooo cool, but looking back - ugh!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
In 1985 my mother talked me into getting my very fine, very thick hair cut quite short and permed. At JC Penney's.

I looked like Harpo Marx for my senior picture--just awful. I've only just now recovered enough to consider a body wave. I tried to scan a photo of my hair disaster but it keeps turning out too dark.

funnegirl

New in Town
The red hair dye...

Well, it took me a while, but last summer I convinced Ma to let me get some hair dye. She bought that L'oreal Color Mousse that would give 'red tints to my hair.' She neglected to notice on the side of the package where it said 'recommended for brown to dark brown hair'.

I'm a natural blonde.

So we dyed it, and my hair came out bright red. I was shocked, but happy that it was...'different'. Then 3 people came up to me and asked if it was my natural color. I couldn't wait for the 8-10 day period to end. It didn't.

As an effect of the wrong hair dye, it lasted for three months. Thank god it finally came out.

( PS. Just to introduce myself, I'm new to the site, a younger lounger, and the daughter of Funneman. )

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
hahahahaha, your stories crack me up!

That day of my hair disaster, I continually brushed it to stretch the curls out a bit (uh HELLO, orphan Annie). I ended up not having time to get all the way back home before I was supposed to meet some friends at a dance place, so I stopped in at an antique store and SCORED with a really neat vintage hat. Needless to say, with the windows down while driving, lots of brushing and gel, and finishing it off with the hat, the 'do was passable in the poor lighting of the dancehall. I even got a compliment from one of the shy wallflower guys--- "G-g-g-gee, nuh-nuh-nice hair." I will choose to ignore the fact that he was wearing coke-bottle eye glasses.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the disaster when I first took the pincurls out, but I'll post a picture of the somewhat salvaged final product once it is downloaded.

The Lesson: Don't do tight pincurls if your hair is shoulder length and naturally wavy, unless you intend to audition at the local community theatre as everyone's favorite orphan. :eusa_doh:

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
VanillaT said:
I have naturally pretty light blonde hair. It is pretty in the summer, but in the winter it looks ashy and dull and that is when I start to yearn for reddish hair. ...

Instead of going red, why don't you use a semi-permanent dye like Clairol Natural Instincts? Their light blonde shade Saharra is great, and it doesn't wreck your hair.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Papa and I

My parents went out for dinner for their 21st anniversary (!), and they decided to come to the club where I swing dance! I've been after them for months to come check it out.

This is my Papa and I.
PapaandKay.jpg

That was at the end of the night, after the hat, the gel, the windows, etc.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
When I was in my early 20s, I decided to try Marilyn Monroe's short 50s 'do. My hairdresser told me I would hate it, and then cut it that way anyway. He was right--I looked like a boy and because my hair is not naturally curly, I never did figure out how to get the look right. I've not had my hair any shorter then shoulder length since ;)

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, let's see now ...where shall I start?

#1 The Time I had the famous Vidal Sassoon cut( does not work with curly hair)

#2 The spiral perm that i could not even get my fingers through for 2 weeks, so i had to shave my head

#3 Taking my brunette head to the peroxide, thinking i was going to be blonde...it wasn't.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
#2 The spiral perm that i could not even get my fingers through for 2 weeks, so i had to shave my head

Yikes!

Secretly, though, I've always wanted to shave my head and just start over. My hair has gone through so many changes over the years I wanna see what it looks like new. My hair dresser says I have 3 times the amount of hair of the average customer! It's such a hassle, sometimes I just want it all gone!

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Yikes!

Secretly, though, I've always wanted to shave my head and just start over. My hair has gone through so many changes over the years I wanna see what it looks like new. My hair dresser says I have 3 times the amount of hair of the average customer! It's such a hassle, sometimes I just want it all gone!

YES. I've been seriously contemplating shaving my head (not bic-ing it, but buzzing it) in a few months when I leave for boot camp. I'm just worried that I'll look sort of gross. Natalie Portman and Demi Moore have great bone structures in their faces (and everywhere else for that matter), while my jawbone is more rounded and soft.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Great excuse to wear hats alot!

But i also think a pixie cut would be very becoming.You are definitely not a persom who would have to worry about short hair:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy