Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT did I just do to my hair...

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
hey, I'm just thinking, if you really are going to have your hair buzz-cut, IlsaLund, why don't you also get people to sponsor you - that way you could make some money for Charity too!

I think it would suit you, by the way.

Mind you, my hairdressing disaster when I was about 12 was when the hairdresser decided it would be nice to cut my hair very short in 'pixie' style. After that, I used to go into shops, even in skirts, and people would call me 'young man'. I did look a *lot* like a boy.
But as, er, a more developed woman, I imagine you wouldn't suffer that fate.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Until I was eleven, my mom did not let me get my hair cut more than just a teeny trim once in a while, and my hair grows FAST. It is also very oily and prone to dandruff and tangles, and when I was that young, I didn't have the patience or knowledge to take care of it. So...starting sixth grade, the worst year of my life, my hair was a greasy, dandruffy, tangled mess down to my butt. I was hideously unpopular, nicknamed "Lice-ly" and "Crater-face" among other things. When my mother finally let me get shoulder-length layers, something I could manage, the social damage had been done. :mad:

A few years later, I stupidly allowed my best friend's mother to try to trim my bangs. I have a widow's peak and cowlicks in the front of my hairline, so no matter how much she trimmed, it was still uneven. I ended up with two-inch long bangs, which looked ridiculous with the rest of my fluffy-permed long hair. I did the best I could with them, but mostly they just stuck straight out until they grew out. For a fifteen-year-old who is already an outcast, this was horrifying.

--Leslie

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I've had my share of mistakes.

One time my mom dyed my hair (dirty blonde) red. She put in too much developer. I had mauve hair for weeks. Luckly I was a punk and played it off.

Another time, I had very short pixy hair. Decieced to grow it out. Went and got extentions but in. Not the ones they use now that match your hair. I had braids and the women that put them in(they were french/jamacian), braided my hair so tight that a few in the back actual broke off at my scalp. It was a form of tourture for someone that had not worn a pony-tail for 10 yrs. Always had short hair. It hurt and iched so bad. It got my hair past that stage that you want to cut again.

The funny thing is I got treated so differently than when I had short hair. The extentions went to my lower back. I was even asked to do some modeling. My guy friends even treated me differently. Now my hair is at my shoulders.

I just remembered another. I went to my stylist and told him to do what ever he felt like doing. I was 13 and artsy firtsy kind of person. He shaved my head except for my bangs and some fringe at the nape of my neck. He had me looking like a Ska-bird at the age of 13. My parents loved that when I got home.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
hotrod_elf said:
I just remembered another. I went to my stylist and told him to do what ever he felt like doing. I was 13 and artsy firtsy kind of person. He shaved my head except for my bangs and some fringe at the nape of my neck. He had me looking like a Ska-bird at the age of 13. My parents loved that when I got home.

I hope you have pictures that you plan on scanning and sharing. :D

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
VargasGirl:

Instead of going red, why don't you use a semi-permanent dye like Clairol Natural Instincts? Their light blonde shade Saharra is great, and it doesn't wreck your hair.

I have tried demi-permanents before in a light copper shade, and it really looked strange... it managed to muddy up my hair but at the same time in the light it looked like one of those little old ladies with white hair who had shampooed in a strawberry blonde color (you know what I mean, no?).

At any rate, I have been trying hard to resist the urge to do anything... although one glance at Lily Cole's hair is almost enough to make me feel like running into Sally Beauty supply...

If I get really an-sy, I will try your suggestion! ;-)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
As some of you will remember, I had a hair disaster last month and an allergic reaction to a permanent - home - hair dye.

Well, I had a allergy test last week at the salon on a semi colour and also a product called effasol which is going to take all this super dark dye out of my hair before they recolour and I am pleased to report that everything was fine!

I am booked in to the hairdressers this thursday to have the black stripped out and a lovely natural chestnut brown put in. I am soooo excited!!!!!!

Wish me luck!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
There's a "natural" hair dye, both permanent and semi-permanent, on the market called Tints of Nature that I've used once (my boyfriend christened it T**s of Nature :eek: ).
You can get it in health food shops here, it's produced in the UK. It still contains hydrogen peroxide like other hair dyes but apart from that very little harsh chemicals. Doesn't smell as nasty either and the colour result is totally reliable. It's a very good alternative to the standard beauty-industry-conglomerate kind of box hair dyes in my opinion.

Apart from that I've had luck with using dark brown henna on my already brown hair. It's the only thing that battles my frizz.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Oh, how about the time I studied abroad in France and desperately needed a haircut. Bringing along a picture of a lovely long layered look, I thought that I was prepared for any surprises.

That was, my friends, until I came out of the salon with a MULLET.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
This thread is hilarious! Here are mine: perm at fifteen, and at the same time I decided to dye my blonde hair using a semi-permanent brown dye. It turned orange as it washed out, and between the perm (read:afro!) and the orange colour I looked like Annie!

Another unfortunate brush with the orange (which happens to be my least favourite colour!) last year, when I experimented with strawberry blonde. It was nice for a while, but then...

Why is hair so difficult???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy