Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The BC liquor board stopped carrying Plymouth Gin, which makes me very sad :(

Hmm, I was looking for Plymouth Gin in our local State run store this past weekend without success. I bought Beefeater 24 instead, which was quite nice.

Just checked on the Liquor Board website and they show 7 bottles of Plymouth in stock, maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Hmm, I was looking for Plymouth Gin in our local State run store this past weekend without success. I bought Beefeater 24 instead, which was quite nice.

Just checked on the Liquor Board website and they show 7 bottles of Plymouth in stock, maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

This whole state run liquor thing has me intrigued. So how the heck does this work? The state sells it at cost or they profit from people who drink? :p How do your prices compare to say this site out here?:
http://www.bevmo.com/

tealseal

A-List Customer
This whole state run liquor thing has me intrigued. So how the heck does this work? The state sells it at cost or they profit from people who drink? :p How do your prices compare to say this site out here?:
In Ontario, they profit. Big time. The money goes to (mostly) the healthcare system. Next to Walmart, these guys have the biggest liquor purchasing power in the world.
Let's compare (LCBO is CAD):
Patron Silver tequila (750): BevMO = 43.98; LCBO = 79.95
Maker's Mark (750): BevMO = 23.99; LCBO = 37.95
Glenfiddich Single Malt 15 year (750): BevMO = 43.99; LCBO = 65.25

DJH

I'll Lock Up

Just checked the Beefeater 24 75CL

bevmo.com I chose Costa Mesa store - $24.99

NH State Store - $19.99 No tax of course in NH.

It is only spirits where the State stores have the monopoly, although their wine prices are often better than supermarkets with way better selection.

The State certainly profits, I last checked a couple of years back and the retail stores made a contribution of about $58 million to the State budget.

Must admit, I find the fact the State is in the booze business to be very odd. Oh well, cheers!!

In Ontario, they profit. Big time. The money goes to (mostly) the healthcare system. Next to Walmart, these guys have the biggest liquor purchasing power in the world.
Let's compare (LCBO is CAD):
Patron Silver tequila (750): BevMO = 43.98; LCBO = 79.95
Maker's Mark (750): BevMO = 23.99; LCBO = 37.95
Glenfiddich Single Malt 15 year (750): BevMO = 43.99; LCBO = 65.25

Holy Crimony! That is highway robbery. They have economies of scale and they use it to fleece the people. Figures like something government would do. :p

Just checked the Beefeater 24 75CL

bevmo.com I chose Costa Mesa store - $24.99

NH State Store - $19.99 No tax of course in NH.

It is only spirits where the State stores have the monopoly, although their wine prices are often better than supermarkets with way better selection.

The State certainly profits, I last checked a couple of years back and the retail stores made a contribution of about $58 million to the State budget.

Must admit, I find the fact the State is in the booze business to be very odd. Oh well, cheers!!

That is odd. The government undercuts private business. :rofl: Well, at least you get something for your money there. I can't argue with that. lol lol

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty certain that all the wine sold at retail is sold by the State, James, the other retailers have to buy from them as well.

Here in NH plenty of places to buy beer and wine (I don't believe the State is involved in beer distribution, other than to cream off taxes), most gas stations and all convenience stores and supermarkets sell it - in our town (of about 100,000) probably 100s of beer/wine outlets and 4 State booze shops. Gawd we are such a bunch of drunks!!

I'm pretty certain that all the wine sold at retail is sold by the State, James, the other retailers have to buy from them as well.

Here in NH plenty of places to buy beer and wine (I don't believe the State is involved in beer distribution, other than to cream off taxes), most gas stations and all convenience stores and supermarkets sell it - in our town (of about 100,000) probably 100s of beer/wine outlets and 4 State booze shops. Gawd we are such a bunch of drunks!!

That is a very wierd situation. I can't quite comprehend that being I never experienced it out here.
I am sure we have far more liquor shops out here than you do there. :p

Miller High Life Light. I got it at a heavy discount, not something I would normally have in the fridge. However, my fat tuchus could probably stand some light beer anyhow.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Yeah, the situation in BC for liquor sales and laws is outrageous. It really is highway robbery. My favourite scotch, Dalwhinney, is something like $82-85 a bottle in the BC Liquor store, while just across the line in Washington State it's something like $35-$40 a bottle. Pyrat XO rum is around $65 per bottle here, and in the states I bought it in Portland Oregon for $25. It's probably only just slightly more in WA state.

I can drive across the border in 25 minutes and be at a liquor store, but of course unless you're gone for 48 hours or more you have no exemption on the duties and taxes applicable. There is a certain amount of alcohol that the officers are typically willing to wave through, but that's entirely up to the officer, and I haven't tried bringing spirits across without an exemption yet (the D&T's on spirits is way higher than beer or wine). Also, considering I'm a customs and immigration officer myself, I'm not about to take up rum running in my spare time!

It's maddening to know we're getting thoroughly hosed while our neighbors just to the south recently got the ability to buy hard liquor in any grocery store!

Yeah, the situation in BC for liquor sales and laws is outrageous. It really is highway robbery. My favourite scotch, Dalwhinney, is something like $82-85 a bottle in the BC Liquor store, while just across the line in Washington State it's something like $35-$40 a bottle. Pyrat XO rum is around $65 per bottle here, and in the states I bought it in Portland Oregon for $25. It's probably only just slightly more in WA state.

I can drive across the border in 25 minutes and be at a liquor store, but of course unless you're gone for 48 hours or more you have no exemption on the duties and taxes applicable. There is a certain amount of alcohol that the officers are typically willing to wave through, but that's entirely up to the officer, and I haven't tried bringing spirits across without an exemption yet (the D&T's on spirits is way higher than beer or wine). Also, considering I'm a customs and immigration officer myself, I'm not about to take up rum running in my spare time!

It's maddening to know we're getting thoroughly hosed while our neighbors just to the south recently got the ability to buy hard liquor in any grocery store!

I could and still can buy anything in any grocery store. :p
If I were in your position, I know how I would stock my bar. :p

dnjan

One Too Many
Yeah, the situation in BC for liquor sales and laws is outrageous.!
I had heard that all BC wine not sold at the wineries must be shipped to the government office in Vancouver, and then to retail stores (possibly back in the Okanagan). Is that true???

Not quite any grocery store, but at least at more (and better) locations than the state stores. Plus, now stores will be able to specialize. For example, a private store may choose to emphasize Scotches, and carry a selection that patrons of the State store would have never dreamed of (at least not while purchasing in-state).

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I had heard that all BC wine not sold at the wineries must be shipped to the government office in Vancouver, and then to retail stores (possibly back in the Okanagan). Is that true???

It may well be. It sounds like the kind of stupidity the BC government would pull.

Not quite any grocery store, but at least at more (and better) locations than the state stores. Plus, now stores will be able to specialize. For example, a private store may choose to emphasize Scotches, and carry a selection that patrons of the State store would have never dreamed of (at least not while purchasing in-state).

Well, a little birdy told me that the officers are getting even more relaxed about D&T's these days for various reasons, so I may try bringing a 750ml bottle back one of these days and see how I go. Even if I get referred to pay, I'll probably still save money over the outrageous prices the BCLS is charging!

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
Goodness...what didn't I drink? ;)

Let's see.... whiskey, Rum and soda and a bit of Hennessy. :) Stressful Monday.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran