Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Always an exellent choice to pick up an Islay Whisky, but last evening I zipped down the last drops of my Irish Redbreast.
Are you familiar with this one mr. James Powers ?

redbreast.jpg
[/IMG]

Certainly! One of my favorites! An excellent choice sir! :p

WineGuy

A-List Customer
EHbrillet.jpg

Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac

applepie.png

Ole Smoky Apple Pie Moonshine

While small batch Bourbon's are my current tipple, lately I've been enjoying two unique spirits during our NY heat wave...

First up is my long time favorite...Belle de Brillet pear Cognac. I coined this Cognac "liquid Sex" many years ago because it is so seductive. The base is a Premier Cru Cognac from J.R. Brillet that had 22 pounds of Anjou pears distilled into it. I serve it neat but chilled.

Last night I polished off a few glasses of Ole Smoky Apple Pie Moonshine. Ole Smoky is one of Tennessee's oldest Moonshiners and the first to go legit after prohibition. The taste reminds me of the apple pie that McDonalds served decades ago that looked like egg rolls...a funny comparison but accurate.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I do believe that when it comes to Vodka, Finland is the place to look, But Flicka fromStockholm will know ...if she is here by any chance....but Finlandia is one choice, and certainly not a bad one

EHbrillet.jpg

Belle de Brillet Pear Cognac

applepie.png

Ole Smoky Apple Pie Moonshine

While small batch Bourbon's are my current tipple, lately I've been enjoying two unique spirits during our NY heat wave...

First up is my long time favorite...Belle de Brillet pear Cognac. I coined this Cognac "liquid Sex" many years ago because it is so seductive. The base is a Premier Cru Cognac from J.R. Brillet that had 22 pounds of Anjou pears distilled into it. I serve it neat but chilled.

Last night I polished off a few glasses of Ole Smoky Apple Pie Moonshine. Ole Smoky is one of Tennessee's oldest Moonshiners and the first to go legit after prohibition. The taste reminds me of the apple pie that McDonalds served decades ago that looked like egg rolls...a funny comparison but accurate.

Oh geez! You convinced me. I'll be over in ten minutes.:p

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like a good pairing. Ardmore is at a good price point too. Only 3,000 cases have been reportedly made for the US though. Snap them up while you can. The 25 year old is sublime. The regular takes many by surprise---a peated Highland? :p

Surprising amount of peat. Their web site is a little stingy with info. We have it available at the Ardmore, PA state store at a reasonable price. The 25 y/o is on my search list.
Tom D.

Surprising amount of peat. Their web site is a little stingy with info. We have it available at the Ardmore, PA state store at a reasonable price. The 25 y/o is on my search list.
Tom D.

:p
I get my scotch news from Malt Advocate. They tell it like it is and give reviews that I can trust. :D
If the price is reasonable, I would look into getting more. :p
The 25 year old is a bit more dough though.
I went tot eh local BevMo and picked up a few "needs." :p A Glen Garioch, Bruichladdich(new addition to the line), Redbreast and a Glenfarclas. The Bruichladdich was a bracing dram. Good enough for me with a Quintero y Hermano. :p

alsendk

A-List Customer
:p
I get my scotch news from Malt Advocate. They tell it like it is and give reviews that I can trust. :D
If the price is reasonable, I would look into getting more. :p
The 25 year old is a bit more dough though.
I went tot eh local BevMo and picked up a few "needs." :p A Glen Garioch, Bruichladdich(new addition to the line), Redbreast and a Glenfarclas. The Bruichladdich was a bracing dram. Good enough for me with a Quintero y Hermano. :p

I openly admit that the writing about Ardmore being a rather peated Whisky made me curious about trying to taste it,and having finished my Redbreast made me take a stroll to my winepusher, who also happens to have many fine whiskies on his shelfs.
He found an 26 years old Ardmore , 46%, Grenache Cask-finish, Murray , containing a peat PMM index at 10-12.
Quite amazing that a whisky,-coming from near Aberdeen can taste so closely to an Islay whisky, but I have always liked the strong tasting whiskies,and hoped to find it exellent for my taste.The price for the golden drops was 58 US Dollars.

Beautiful golden color, the smell is incredibly rich and elegant - especially the tones of bourbon-cask and underlying smoke quietly comes rumbling. The taste is also very elegant and I felt no alcohol for a short period, although it characterize the whiskey a little more, but in fine balance - here seen this thick underlying smoke is just as delicious. Here completely free of medical notes. Long nice and pleasant aftertaste in my opinion, but what say you gentlemen ? and about the price also, that we have to pay in Denmark.
Slainte :O)
Allan

ardmore.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I openly admit that the writing about Ardmore being a rather peated Whisky made me curious about trying to taste it,and having finished my Redbreast made me take a stroll to my winepusher, who also happens to have many fine whiskies on his shelfs.
He found an 26 years old Ardmore , 46%, Grenache Cask-finish, Murray , containing a peat PMM index at 10-12.
Quite amazing that a whisky,-coming from near Aberdeen can taste so closely to an Islay whisky, but I have always liked the strong tasting whiskies,and hoped to find it exellent for my taste.The price for the golden drops was 58 US Dollars.

Beautiful golden color, the smell is incredibly rich and elegant - especially the tones of bourbon-cask and underlying smoke quietly comes rumbling. The taste is also very elegant and I felt no alcohol for a short period, although it characterize the whiskey a little more, but in fine balance - here seen this thick underlying smoke is just as delicious. Here completely free of medical notes. Long nice and pleasant aftertaste in my opinion, but what say you gentlemen ? and about the price also, that we have to pay in Denmark.
Slainte :O)
Allan

ardmore.jpg
[/IMG]

You certainly have me convinced! $58 for that is a steal! You did very well. Ardmore is a hidden gem out there that not many know about.
Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut about it. There goes my plentiful supply. :p Slainte!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
The Kraken Black Spiced Rum, and Bai-jou (Chinese Rice-whiskey, for lack of a better translation. 57% alc/vol; powerful stuff!)

Was my first time trying the Kraken; very pleasant flavour, goes down smooth, even when sipping, packs a nice kick at 47%, but oh my goodness am I suffering for it. The spices do a number on my gut, hence why I'm awake at 3:30AM ;_; I'm officially sworn off spiced rum.

Had a great time at the party though! My friend's inlaws are over from China and we were playing a Chinese dice game whose name translates roughly to "Bullshit". Everyone has a cup with five dice which they shake up and place on the table opening down. You see only your own dice, but you try to guess the number of any given die face on the table, for example, five fours. Everyone takes turns until someone calls "Bullshit". If the one calling it is right, he wins that round and everyone else must take a sip of their drink, if he's wrong, he pays the penalty. Grand times had by all.

One good thing about being awake right now - there's a thunder and lightning storm although the skies are completely clear! Strangest thing.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Not really part of this thread in a way, but I just moved into my new apartment in a new city. I had to go get a shower curtain at 11:00 PM and while I was there at the Walmart, I saw Blueberry juice. Not bad, no fun, but not bad. The Port had been in the car all day, and both the Irish and the Rye were in a box somewhere.

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24