Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Beck Sapphire is a decent grog to ooze down....

We buy a family owned brew....snowdrift vanilla porter by Leinenkugels. No wheat in that particular type of beer they make, but they make many flavors if you want to call it that...Oktoberfest was great but now they do not have much left in the store. The do have a wheat beer called Sunset Wheat, and then Dark and Creamy....but they also make some that are what we call, "Whimp beer"...you know Blue Berry beer, Summer Shandy, and some other flavored beers that just don't cut the mustard!

Going to buy a new Single Malt this Friday....something aged for 30 years for $70.00...it better be some good stuff....the last deal for Duggans Dew was o.k. but as it was a blended Scotch, it just seemed to be sort of like candy and no bite to it. This single malt, (can't recall the name) but the expert tells me as Daniel likes a Scotch that has some "grit and bite " to it, that this Scotch has so much peat.....peat water, peat filtered...peat fired....I had to ask the guy...so "pete" should have been this scotch's name? LOL! I am sure Mr. Powers already knows the brand name...he has some Scotch Radar going....pointed right towards...Michigan! LOL. I'll have to ask Daniel what the heck the name was of the Scotch that is going to be "on deck"this Friday....

Oh the brand of Scotch is Brora....and from what we were told, the $70.00 is a bargain as they had it ordered ( this happens a lot at the place we buy from) and they got stuck with the bottle...sitting collecting dust in a back glass display where they keep all the good stuff at. If I recall, they are knocking off about half the price.

$70 for a 30 year old Brora?! Where do I sign up?! Are you sure you aren't missing a zero? That stuff goes for WAY high around here. It is a nice Highland scotch. I would buy a case at that price if I were you. :p

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
$70 for a 30 year old Brora?! Where do I sign up?! Are you sure you aren't missing a zero? That stuff goes for WAY high around here. It is a nice Highland scotch. I would buy a case at that price if I were you. :p

Wow the store that sells to us has a great big old dusty large case...maybe 10 foot tall and double doors on it...all glass...dust on it from WWI....lol! They keep all the very high price goodies booze wise in it. Have much more than just Scotch....the young man that is the "expert: there does know his stuff about high end drinking liquid....lol...he always shows me what they have in the "bat cave" glass case....when he showed me the bottle and then explained someone ordered it (this has happened many time now) who ever made the order just never showed up...leaving the store with god knows what.....he has known me and Daniel for a few years and we have given him some very nice shoe deals....REAL sweet deals on shoes...so...I know he knocks off the price on some things we buy from him. There is no price tag on any of the bottles in the "bat cave"....so I had no idea something would cost as much as $700.00 a bottle...wow. If that was the price...I could not buy it for sure. $700.00 it would have to come with a butler and cook!

All the items kept in the bat cave are single items one of this and one of that...he has something in a stainless steel bottle that is from Italy...says Martini on the label but I am not sure what it is? The top of that bottle you have to use a wrench to take the cap off. I do know there is another few pricey Scotch bottles in cartons aside from the Brora, large carton container with I think an elk on the front label? and one with a large pelican. The pelican one must be some Pirate grog....lol!

Last edited:
The Mrs. brought home some kind of chocolate infused red wine concoction from the grocery store. I can't remember the name, but it came from Germany. I pretty much expected it to be awful, but out of curiosity I tried it. It wasn't bad at all, reminded me of a Bailey's knockoff product. I certainly couldn't appreciate it in large quantities, but a small glass on a cold night made a nice nightcap.

LAPipeClub

New in Town
Had a very interesting Wilson Creek Almond Champagne I tried for the first time at a wedding last weekend at the winery. Sounds odd but is a very good after dinner champagne.

almond-and-glasses-blog.jpg

Wow the store that sells to us has a great big old dusty large case...maybe 10 foot tall and double doors on it...all glass...dust on it from WWI....lol! They keep all the very high price goodies booze wise in it. Have much more than just Scotch....the young man that is the "expert: there does know his stuff about high end drinking liquid....lol...he always shows me what they have in the "bat cave" glass case....when he showed me the bottle and then explained someone ordered it (this has happened many time now) who ever made the order just never showed up...leaving the store with god knows what.....he has known me and Daniel for a few years and we have given him some very nice shoe deals....REAL sweet deals on shoes...so...I know he knocks off the price on some things we buy from him. There is no price tag on any of the bottles in the "bat cave"....so I had no idea something would cost as much as $700.00 a bottle...wow. If that was the price...I could not buy it for sure. $700.00 it would have to come with a butler and cook!

All the items kept in the bat cave are single items one of this and one of that...he has something in a stainless steel bottle that is from Italy...says Martini on the label but I am not sure what it is? The top of that bottle you have to use a wrench to take the cap off. I do know there is another few pricey Scotch bottles in cartons aside from the Brora, large carton container with I think an elk on the front label? and one with a large pelican. The pelican one must be some Pirate grog....lol!

The Elk is likely Dalmore-----another pricy brand. That is one of my favorites---so of course it has to cost plenty. :doh:

Brora at our price is a heck of a deal. Run, don't walk, to pick that one up. :p

Triple wood?! I never heard of that one. Then again, I have not been a huge fan of Laphroaig either. :p How is it? What is it aged in? You can't just drop that bomb without descriptions. :p

Right. It was originally launched for the duty free market. First off, they mature it in bourbon barrels, before transfer into quarter casks, and a third maturation in Oloroso sherry European oak. Pleanty of peat, but with more sweetness than the standard 10.

Savvy? :p

The chocolate wine was called petit chocolate. Faux Francais aus Deutschland.

Had another little shot of it when I first got home, then a nice chianti while dinner was getting ready. Unwinding with some warsteiners after the meal.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You were dead wrong......and.....so was I! lol! The price I was told sounded like 70 bucks but he meant and most likely did say four seventy.....as in four hundred seventy dollars.....($470.00) and you do know what I said? Well do you? I can bet you will guess...I left there with another bottle of Highland Single Malt Scotch from McClellands for a ton less than $470.00....I made mention to the store "expert" to please be sure to not say I can let you have that...four seventy again....I was about to pass out when he told me the price but I made mention also that I did realize it was a very big discount....and his talking to me did attract some potential buyers....I m sure that Scotch does have a wonderful flavor...but I can think for that kind of money, it better make you be able to sing like Perry Como and Kate Smith.....and I am not a singer...so I passed and Daniel would have not been happy if I spent that much on one fifth of Scotch....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The chocolate wine was called petit chocolate. Faux Francais aus Deutschland.

Had another little shot of it when I first got home, then a nice chianti while dinner was getting ready. Unwinding with some warsteiners after the meal.

A small swirl of Whipped Cream and one fat red Cherry on top of that wine, ..sounds like something I would drink and with a plate of those mini bite sized snickers for the kicker.

You were dead wrong......and.....so was I! lol! The price I was told sounded like 70 bucks but he meant and most likely did say four seventy.....as in four hundred seventy dollars.....($470.00) and you do know what I said? Well do you? I can bet you will guess...I left there with another bottle of Highland Single Malt Scotch from McClellands for a ton less than $470.00....I made mention to the store "expert" to please be sure to not say I can let you have that...four seventy again....I was about to pass out when he told me the price but I made mention also that I did realize it was a very big discount....and his talking to me did attract some potential buyers....I m sure that Scotch does have a wonderful flavor...but I can think for that kind of money, it better make you be able to sing like Perry Como and Kate Smith.....and I am not a singer...so I passed and Daniel would have not been happy if I spent that much on one fifth of Scotch....

Aha! I was wondering. Even at $470 you we still doing ok though. No that I would buy it but......:p

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Aha! I was wondering. Even at $470 you we still doing ok though. No that I would buy it but......:p

Is the price due to them having to "baby sit" it for all those years? I have it....you just made me have one of the ephifanies....(yeah you spell it then)....lolololol@ Think...30 year old Scotch costing so much money....now here is the potential money maker....dig a hole, bury forty of so bottle of aqua velva after shave, in 30 years dig them up, and sell them for $500.00 each! Of course in thirty years from now..THAT may already be the going rate....lol! Well...cannot say I did not try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL