Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
marvelgoose said:
A classic Manhattan made with rye, sweet vermouth, and orange bitters. Stirred, not shaken and poured into a martini glass fresh from the freezer. Paired it with a Romeo 1875 cigar after a Fillet Mignon dinner and grilled potatoes that had been infused with garlic and rosemary.

Since we are all supposed to be about hats here, I wore a cheap cloth fedora from Duluth Trading.

We always have a feast on Sunday night :D

Just reading your description of your meal, smoke, and digestif has me absolutely craving for the same- and I write this just after hefty dinner of tri-tip.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Champagne cocktails using my last Bottle of Russian "Odessa" champagne, :mad: this time mixed with Cointreu, which gives it a refreshing bitter orange flavour, reminding one that an Antipodean Spring is just around the Corner!"

3675203330_5f02661b7c.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
Hendricks and Fever-Tree G&T. The Lounge has turned me into something of a G&T snob.

How is that Fever Tree? I can't find it anywhere close to home. May have to make a special trip.:D
I'm a big fan of Q-Tonic.

Anthony K

Familiar Face
marvelgoose said:
A classic Manhattan made with rye, sweet vermouth, and orange bitters. Stirred, not shaken and poured into a martini glass fresh from the freezer. Paired it with a Romeo 1875 cigar after a Fillet Mignon dinner and grilled potatoes that had been infused with garlic and rosemary.

Oh, man....that sounds perfect!

I enjoyed a glass of Chivas Regal scotch, neat.

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
What is Q-tonic? A Cynar and tonic mixture? ;) :p

No,:eusa_doh:
But that sounds like a good combo... :p :p :p

Honestly I wouldn't fudge-up Q with cynar.:D

Try this instead; T is for Trouble
3 oz of tequila with slices of fresh muddled jalapenos; shake with ice. Pour into a martini glass, top with 3 oz Q Tonic.
Garnish with a chili pepper (I use a small pickled hot pepper)

From Q-Tonic's website.

rumblefish said:
No,:eusa_doh:
But that sounds like a good combo... :p :p :p

Honestly I wouldn't fudge-up Q with cynar.:D

Try this instead; T is for Trouble
3 oz of tequila with slices of fresh muddled jalapenos; shake with ice. Pour into a martini glass, top with 3 oz Q Tonic.
Garnish with a chili pepper (I use a small pickled hot pepper)

From Q-Tonic's website.

Sounds like my spicy martini. :D
Cynar and Tonic of any kind would mess up the tonic---not to mention the glass and ice cubes; if you used them. :p

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
What is Q-tonic? A Cynar and tonic mixture? ;) :p

Yeesh Cynar, you're right that would ruin the tonic, it's difficult to find a glass that will hold the stuff in my house.

The two common tonics (excluding generic) in the UK are:
Schwepps
Fevertree
A third alternative is Fentimans.

A friend and I did a blind taste test, with No.10 Tanq and tonic. The results were:

#1) Fentimans
#2) Schwepps
#3) Fevertree

The ingredients of Fevertree are fancier such as the type of quinine but I think it's a bit plain. Additionally it doesn't taste great on its own. It is 3 times the price of Schwepps though.
However I do recommend the Fevertree ginger ale which is lovely.
Fentimans is fresh and juicy and is a bit cheaper than Fevertree (although still a good premium on Schwepps). I think it does make a difference but has been difficult to get hold of of late.

As always the way to really tell is a blind taste test.

moonlightsilico

New in Town
last night ...

1st post - liquor, figures.
Vodka martini.
Grey Goose (someone elses bottle)
dash bitters
rinse glass with dry vermouth - toss excess.
Shaken over ice.
(2) stuffed olives.
alone with my (2) cats

Cynar Martini

Ingredients:
6 ounces of freezing Cynar.
5 drops of Noilly Pratt dry vermouth.
2 small twists of lemon rind.
2 Picholine olives.

The mix
Fill a glass martini shaker about 3/4 full of cracked, clean ice.
Pour your gin into the shaker and let stand for sixty seconds. Count down from sixty to zero.
Approach your shaker with caution, and lovingly apply the lid.
Shake, shake, shake. About fifteen, vigorous, diagonal shakes should do the trick.
Put that shaker down and get two well chilled martini glasses from the fridge or freezer. Allow the shaker to rest for about another sixty seconds.
Into each glass drop two drops of vermouth (the fifth drop is just for good luck).
Each glass gets a twist and an olive (the olive is optional).
Strain your very chilly gin into each glass.
Try the martini---have a barf bag handy.:eek:
Throw the rest in the trash (or save for guests you want to get rid of;) :p ) and make the same drink substituting Hendrick's Gin for that nasty Cynar. ;) :p lol lol lol

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
How is that Fever Tree? I can't find it anywhere close to home. May have to make a special trip.:D
I'm a big fan of Q-Tonic.

I like it a lot. I purchase mine at BevMo, the Disneyland of Alcohol. "Tangy" is the only adjective that springs to mind.

I started using it after reading a post about it here in the Fed-Lo and cannot go back to the regular stuff.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Thanks

jamespowers said:
In other words, exactly like it should be made and paired. ;) :D

Thanks! I got this from the Wall Street Journal Column by Eric Felton. He's a maniac about getting back to the roots of a drink. The Martini with orange bitters that he touts as also being an original is darned tasty!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Excellent

jamespowers said:
Cynar Martini

Try the martini---have a barf bag handy.:eek:
Throw the rest in the trash (or save for guests you want to get rid of;) :p ) and make the same drink substituting Hendrick's Gin for that nasty Cynar. ;) :p lol lol lol

Hilarious parody! Sucked me in for a moment there. :eusa_clap I thought you were going to salute the glass before you were through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner