Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

rumblefish

One Too Many
dnjan said:
One of my "normal" Pubs (Hales) has been doing a "firkin on the bar" every Wednesday night. They put a 7-1/2 gallon beer keg (pony keg or firkin) on a stand on the bar, tap it, and pour just with gravity (no supplemental CO2)

Last night they had a blended beer - about a half gallon of soured barleywine was added to 7 gallons of wood-barrel-aged belgian double yesterday morning, and allowed to mix and stabilize. They tapped it in late afternoon, and it was an amazing beer. Just enough soured barleywine to add nose, depth and interest, but not so much that the sour was in anyway off-putting. I expect they will still have some available tonight (at about 8% ABV, they were pouring it in small glasses), and so I strongly recommend any readers from Seattle to head over there if you have a chance.

That sounds good.
Whose beer are they using, their own?

dnjan

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
That sounds good.
Whose beer are they using, their own?
Yes, their own. They had made (and remade a number of times) the Belgian double as their 25th anniversary beer a while back. So aging some in a wooden barrel was just something to try.

And I haven't gotten the story on why they decided to sour a keg of the barleywine. One of the brewers there likes to experiment with strong stuff, and I think he was the one who did it.

Actually, I am a bit surprised they even brought some souring bacteria into the brewery. All of their fermentation is in open-top tanks.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
A pineapple and rum before dinner, and a nice dry white with the food. Gal I've been on a few dates with had me over for a lovely meal before we went out to a play. Wonderful evening - although I apparently overdressed for the theatre...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CdnDandy said:
A pineapple and rum before dinner, and a nice dry white with the food. Gal I've been on a few dates with had me over for a lovely meal before we went out to a play. Wonderful evening - although I apparently overdressed for the theatre...

One can never overdress for the theatre....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic