Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A couple pints of Ace pear cider, on tap. When it became clear the Phillies weren't going to make the game interesting enough, we came home to a dusty bottle of Vampire pinot grigio.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Not really a medicine taste

The aftertaste is a bit like spoiled wheat straw smells. Very unpleasant.

jamespowers said:
So does it have a medicine like aftertaste or what? Is it overwhelmingly oaky?
I have heard good and bad about EC. I am not a big bourbon fan so....;)
Time for some Wild Turkey then? :D

Boodles

A-List Customer
Elijah Craig was fine.

At the risk of tooting my own horn I'll have to say that around this neck-o-the-wood I'm pretty close to the poster boy for Elijah Craig 12. I've enjoyed it for 5 years, maybe more, and over that time I've bought at least 100 bottles. It was a staple. About a year ago I began to have this problem with the odd bottle. One in ten might not be up to par, just not quite up to snuff. This problem has graduated to one or two in five bottles and the offending aftertaste has become worse. It's unreal. I just cannot imagine that the distiller is bottling the stuff with that aftertaste. At times I've blamed the awful taste on a possible skunky cork. Whatever the root of the trouble, it's finis for me.

Wally_Hood said:
Hmmmm... my last two drinks were Elijah Craig based. I thought it was fine.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I've found with an older bottle of Poli Grappa that the cork was not very tight fitting. It was originally sealed with a small bit of fitted plastic wrap like material to tighten it up. The bottles are very delicate hand blown so I assume they were concerned with cracking the neck when uncorking. I made the mistake of removing the wrap and after a couple years the alcohol must have evaporated to the point that this fantastic nectar was reduced to a watery tasting liquid in a beautiful bottle. Nonino uses the same method of sealing the cork. An expensive lesson learned. Maybe that was a factor with your EJ.
TomD.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two nice sized Bombay Sapphire Martinis after seeing a show...at a bar that had last call at 11:45 and shut off the lights at 1 minute after midnight and added a 20% tip to every ticket. No mention of that on the menu. There were six of us total, two on each tab - I completely understand it and it's pretty standard when it's a part of eight or more. I let it go because it was about what I would've tipped anyway. But I guess it's a sign of the economy that so many places are closing early, opening late.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Medvssa said:
A bit too much Limoncello at a party lol

Home-made? :)

I enjoyed a couple of Oxley Gin & Tonics.

oxley.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
Drinking Right now, two beers that were popular in the Golden Era. I had a Schlitz and a Hamm's.

Ah, those charming old school local brews.
Once, a fellow who fancied me used to bring Shiner Bock up from Texas, in order to impress me. Of course, he said to me (and I remember it like yesterday, though it must have been 1987), "Your singing sounds like a flock of geese farting in muggy weather."

Yes, that really won me over. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran