Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I attended a rum tasting which consisted of only two bottles.

Zacapa Centenario Solera 23 & Zacapa Centenario XO.

While the XO was exquisite, I found my sweet spot in the 23.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A variety of red wines. One of my best friends is a wine buyer for a market. So at certain times he will have 6+ partial bottles that the sales reps have given him to taste and decide whether he wants to carry them in the shop. Decision making is tricky business. Naturally I invite myself over on these occasions to "help."

dnjan

One Too Many
Doran said:
A variety of red wines. One of my best friends is a wine buyer for a market. So at certain times he will have 6+ partial bottles that the sales reps have given him to taste and decide whether he wants to carry them in the shop. Decision making is tricky business. Naturally I invite myself over on these occasions to "help."
Sounds like an excellent charitable sacrifice!
You should post your recommendations ...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The pre-1912 or pre-prohibition (before 1920) version would have used real absinthe, as it was likely not that had to get, particularly in New Orleans where liquor laws were somewhat loose. (And I have evidence of one pre-prohibition New Orleans absinthe substitute)

Herbsaint became the preferred absinthe substitute following repeal in late 1933, early 1934, with it's New Orleans heritage, and aggressive marketing by J.M. Legendre, Herbsaint outlived all of it's American contemporaries.

When The Sazerac Co. bought Herbsaint from Mr. Legendre in 1949, that further cemented the connection.

Basically, it's all up to the taste of the drink maker, some prefer absinthe in a Sazerac, some feel an expensive absinthe is a waste.

Myself, I generally prefer Herbsaint in a Sazerac, I once walked out of Napoleon House when I ordered one, and they started to use Pernod. (They were out of Herbsaint that evening :eusa_doh: )

I now prefer the new Herbsaint Original in a Sazerac, to my taste it makes a smoother Sazerac than the 90 proof regular Herbsaint.

sazeracfixings.jpg

A 1940s still sealed bottle of Herbsaint, & sealed bottle of Legendre's version of Peychauds bitters....plus a vintage Sazerac bar glass and a few other trinkets from my collection.

I'd rather take a bullet, than use modern Pernod in anything.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
The pre-1912 or pre-prohibition (before 1920) version would have used real absinthe, as it was likely not that had to get, particularly in New Orleans where liquor laws were somewhat loose. (And I have evidence of one pre-prohibition New Orleans absinthe substitute)

Herbsaint became the preferred absinthe substitute following repeal in late 1933, early 1934, with it's New Orleans heritage, and aggressive marketing by J.M. Legendre, Herbsaint outlived all of it's American contemporaries.

When The Sazerac Co. bought Herbsaint from Mr. Legendre in 1949, that further cemented the connection.

Basically, it's all up to the taste of the drink maker, some prefer absinthe in a Sazerac, some feel an expensive absinthe is a waste.

Myself, I generally prefer Herbsaint in a Sazerac, I once walked out of Napoleon House when I ordered one, and they started to use Pernod. (They were out of Herbsaint that evening :eusa_doh: )

I now prefer the new Herbsaint Original in a Sazerac, to my taste it makes a smoother Sazerac than the 90 proof regular Herbsaint.

sazeracfixings.jpg

A 1940s still sealed bottle of Herbsaint, & sealed bottle of Legendre's version of Peychauds bitters....plus a vintage Sazerac bar glass and a few other trinkets from my collection.

I'd rather take a bullet, than use modern Pernod in anything.

Ah thanks for that, I've enjoyed them so much of late I thought I'd look into the history a little bit, I knew Herbsaint had a strong connection.

I read somewhere of the possibility of using a little Angostura bitters mixed with a majority of Perchauds in the drink. Apparently this was also started by Thomas Handy's bartenders? Do you know anything about this?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I've heard of a few places using a bit of Angostura along with Peychaud's, if one likes the addition, I'd say go for it.
Over the years, there have been a lot of variations.

At some point I want to draw off a tiny bit of these bitters (Legendre made their own copy of Peychaud's):

bitters2.jpg

I know someone that has acquired all of the ingredients (Including Sazerac de Forge et Fils Brandy, Pre-Ban absinthe, vintage Peychaud's, and a pre-prohibition Rye. I need to see if he ever made a couple of Sazerac's out of the collection.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I think you've a good outlook with that point and I'm inclined to agree. The bottle certainly looks interesting, what would you do with the sample?

I've a few bottle of vintage and long discontinued Pimm's (*insert comment from James here* :p) varieties (and a bottle of Gordon's Bitters) whichare always tempting to sample but I'm not sure how well they will have weathered the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails