Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you get for Christmas?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I was the Santa for the main part of everything this year for taking care of the gift wagon. Was able to purchase myself some gold and ruby earrings, two new winter coats, smaller clothing items, a pair of heels and nice purse and wallet. Others gave me pajamas and slippers. Lucky me, I also have two boxes of hollow points for my 9MM handguns. And to just have Daniel home for this Thanksgivings and Christmas, that was the best gift there for me to have. Forgot, I have now two DVD's on hypnosis.

For Daniel, he made out like a regular bandit. One new Fedora, four pairs of vintage shoes (three are NOS) two new ties that are killer vintage. a red heavy wool coat that weighs about 40 pounds. Reminds me of Sgt. Preston from the old T.V. series, but it is real beautiful. Daniel also had the normal fancy dress socks with wild patterns or colors Robert Graham brand, A few new vintage sports jackets and at least two or three new cuff dress shirts.

My Mom (91) sleep wear, slippers, shoes, coat, socks, fur hat, new winter boots, several cans of room freshener. Hey, things happen. LOL!

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
The only vintage thing I received was a fantastic Cinderella bowl in the Early American pattern. Other than that, I got some Dr Who related things and a new camera.

Warden

One Too Many
Well under our Christmas tree was ...

The complete series of First of the Summer Wine on DVD, (This series was set in 1939 leading up to WW2) pure class and lovely costumes.

& for my Fred Astir impression, a cane which used to belong to the father of a family friend, making it about 110 years old :)

1940s-christmas-tree.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
We don't really do the whole "Christmas" thing in our family. We regard it more as a kiddie sorta thing.

That being the case, I bought my own gifts this year. It's our own little philosophy. Based upon years of receiving useless and unwanted gifts, to begin with. The new Panama hat (see relevant threads in Hats board) was my gift to myself.

We don't really do the whole "Christmas" thing in our family. We regard it more as a kiddie sorta thing.

That being the case, I bought my own gifts this year. It's our own little philosophy. Based upon years of receiving useless and unwanted gifts, to begin with. The new Panama hat (see relevant threads in Hats board) was my gift to myself.

I've never understood the philosophy that gift giving is about the actual gift.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've never understood the philosophy that gift giving is about the actual gift.

Whether or not it is has very little to do with the people I mix with. Since no thought tends to go into it, either. The end result being that we generally end up with stuff that we can't use, don't want, and feel awkward accepting. As a result, we simply don't do it. What others give us is their decision and their choice. But we tend not to give gifts ourselves, unless it's for a really significant event. In the past few years, the only thing of any use we've ever received was from my uncle, and that was a case of assorted olive-oils. At least it helped with the cooking.

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a present, Christmas, or otherwise, for anyone. I remember purchasing an antique nutcracker kit for my mother, once. It came complete with crackers, and picks, for removing the nuts from the shells.

She never touched it. Not once. Ever.

And she eats nuts all the time. Every single day.

It's that kind of letdown that means we just don't do it anymore. It's not worth the expense to us.

Last edited:
Well..my Christmas seemed to have the opposite effect. I saw the little Grandkids eye's light up as they couldn't wait to play with or use their gifts. Even my older children with their husbands were wide eyed with surprise at how I (we) had researched enough to make it something special. It's my favorite holiday...so I take the time to find perhaps a more personal gift for those I share it with. I was less concerned with my presents...but it did seem that others were more than eager to return the favor with the same spirit. It can be amazing to me how that can work and make Christmas such a very joyful affair.
HD

Well..my Christmas seemed to have the opposite effect. I saw the little Grandkids eye's light up as they couldn't wait to play with or use their gifts. Even my older children with their husbands were wide eyed with surprise at how I (we) had researched enough to make it something special. It's my favorite holiday...so I take the time to find perhaps a more personal gift for those I share it with. I was less concerned with my presents...but it did seem that others were more than eager to return the favor with the same spirit. It can be amazing to me how that can work and make Christmas such a very joyful affair.
HD

That is how we feel at the House of TOE. We put a lot of time and thought in to making each present special for each special recipient because Christmas is a special time.
:D

Killick

One of the Regulars
Santa brought me a beautiful sundial. It was specifically made for my latitude & longitude. Gnomone & dial both made from brass. It really is a functional piece if artwork. I just have it on my deck right now. Going in the garden this spring. It tells the correct time with in a minute!

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 122

WH1

Practically Family
I am one lucky old Marine, the wife has given me a Colt M1070CQBP - M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistol.

M1070CQBP_tn.jpg

I have always loved the 1911 was the first pistol I carried in the Corps. Hated the M9! This is a truly fine incarnation of the classic.

Last edited:

Killick

One of the Regulars
I am one lucky old Marine, the wife has given me a Colt M1070CQBP - M45A1 Close Quarter Battle Pistol.
I have always loved the 1911 was the first pistol I carried in the Corps. Hated the M9! This is a truly fine incarnation of the classic.

Very nice WH. I'm a gun guy also. Not a hunter gatherer type but have a little collection.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Santa brought me a beautiful sundial. It was specifically made for my latitude & longitude. Gnomone & dial both made from brass. It really is a functional piece if artwork. I just have it on my deck right now. Going in the garden this spring. It tells the correct time with in a minute!

That is a gorgeous sundial. Do you know where the gifter found it? I'm just thinking it would be great to have a custom sundial like that. :) What a fantastic custom gift. :)

Dr. Lucky

New in Town
I got a Stetson Drifter (which I like a lot better than most western hats), a couple of new ties, and a book of fun projects to do with my daughter called "Made by Dad". I'm pretty excited about all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21