Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what did YOU take in school??

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
I have a BFA in Fashion Design, a minor in 3D. Now I design and create custom wedding gowns and rehabilitate vintage gowns. I'm one of those ridiculous people that loves their job.

oh man, i am so jealous! i did 1 year of fashion school and it actually made me hate sewing, something i had loved to do for years beforehand. i haven't used my sewing machine since i dropped out, 3 years ago.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
sixsexsix said:
oh man, i am so jealous! i did 1 year of fashion school and it actually made me hate sewing, something i had loved to do for years beforehand. i haven't used my sewing machine since i dropped out, 3 years ago.

Believe it or not, that's a REALLY common occurance. We started out w/ a class of 76 my sophomore year in school, and by the time we graduated there were only 36 of us!

I actually hated sewing my first year out of school. I had pulled so many all-nighters sewing to get my senior collection done, that I never wanted to see a sewing machine again. I went to work at Mothers Work (aka Mimi Maternity, A Pea in the Pod, Motherhood Maternity, and Two Hearts Maternity) to get away from sewing. I found out that working in corporate fashion is not all that it's cracked up to be. So I went back to sewing. I found a private company where there are only 3 of us working there, and my boss is obsessed w/ 1930's fashion. I lucked out. That's all there is to it!

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I received a BA in journalism and history in 1992 and have been working as a newspaper journalist since 1993. I was always a history buff but didn't know if I wanted to teach, and wasn't sure what else I might be able to do in that field. I also had a knack for writing, with a style that lent itself to journalism, and I liked working on deadline with others to put out a product. I grew up in a blue collar family and was the first in my line to go to college. There was a certain pressure to get a degree that qualified me to "do" some specific professional job - not just education for education's sake, if you get the drift. The journalism degree did that for me, and I've found it to be an interesting and fulfilling career, although relatively speaking I've always earned less money than my blue collar forebears. I'm currently the editor of a small-town weekly paper that I founded last spring with a former co-worker, competing head-to-head (and doing quite well) against our former corporate oppressors. ;)

Copper

One of the Regulars
I got my BSc in Forensic Anthropology with a minor in Archaeology.

I have managed to use my degree exactly three times in a little over a decade...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Copper said:
I got my BSc in Forensic Anthropology with a minor in Archaeology.

I have managed to use my degree exactly three times in a little over a decade...

im thinking of forensic anthro...[huh]

Copper

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
im thinking of forensic anthro...[huh]

I loved learning the material and I loved working with the bones, but at the end of the day I realised that what made me most enthusiastic about it was the 'solving the puzzle' work - the investigating. I looked around and figured out how few people make an actual living with their PhD's in the field, and decided not to continue on with graduate school.

Fortunately, I found a great job where I get to investigate full time!

jayem

A-List Customer
Completed high school as an International Baccalaureate Diploma Recipient. (Yeah, I'm proud of that one ;) )
Wandering in Comm. College with no idea what to do. Recently dropped all my classes (my fourth semester there) because of health issues.
I'm thinking about just going into cosmetology.
There was a time when I wanted to be a psychiatrist or an astronomer...

I used to be an extremely good fine artist, and actually was featured in many shows, but that IB art class really killed me. I haven't been able to pick up a brush or pallet since that class. I'm just burnt out.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Copper said:
I loved learning the material and I loved working with the bones, but at the end of the day I realised that what made me most enthusiastic about it was the 'solving the puzzle' work - the investigating. I looked around and figured out how few people make an actual living with their PhD's in the field, and decided not to continue on with graduate school.

Fortunately, I found a great job where I get to investigate full time!

what job is that if you dont mind me asking...?

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
i'm an Anthro major at EOU too!!! awesome...

Ok that is just funny lol ...this term I'm taking everything distance ed since I'm still over in Prairie. Commuting over that mountain just sucks in the winter. Right now I'm awaiting to hear how I did on my exam for one of the classes.

TCameron

Familiar Face
I designed my own major in Media Business Management. It's good fun, with more job security than an outright Film major. Cheers,

T

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
BA in history - minored in English, then got my MA in history in 2004.

I'm really not using my degree, unless you count the fact that I write history-related articles.

Copper

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
fantastic...im contemplating that...:)

I have never regretted my career path - I am glad now though that I took the time to get an education - however useless it may seem - and see the world a bit before starting on the job. Good luck to you!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
Ok that is just funny lol ...this term I'm taking everything distance ed since I'm still over in Prairie. Commuting over that mountain just sucks in the winter. Right now I'm awaiting to hear how I did on my exam for one of the classes.

that makes perfect sense. the mountains are very dangerous now...i just took a midterm for my soc class yesterday...the 10 week terms are killers lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Copper said:
I have never regretted my career path - I am glad now though that I took the time to get an education - however useless it may seem - and see the world a bit before starting on the job. Good luck to you!

thank you!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, magna cum laude, Yale University, 1980

Master of Arts in Teaching, Boston University School of Education and Department of English, 1999, selected to Phi Delta Kappa (the equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa for educators)

Currently in organizational development and corporate training, so I'm kind of using the latter degree. But I think I've been better at school than capitalizing on school. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran