Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what did YOU take in school??

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Pilotguy299 said:
I got a BS in Crim w/minor in Econ. Haven't used either in years, and feel much more like a secretary (is that still PC?) than anything else.

If I had it to do over again, I might go Poly-Sci & Gov like my oldest child is about to do. :)

Where is your kid going to school?

Sociology

I high school I majored in Regents / Academic which really means I took all of the Regents classes (and passed them) in Academics as opposed to shop type classes.

In college my major was sociology which I still don't know how that was supposed to help me get a job later in life.

Now later in life I find that I have some talent for teaching and would consider doing some type of Adult Education calss in something I was interested in when I retire.

One thing I can say that of all of the people I know that went to college and got degrees I know maybe 3 people who actually work in the field in which they study. (I am not counting pastors in this bunch.)

I always think of the line that "the number of people with Master's and PHD's that are driving cabs for a living would astound you."

Sincerely

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Our schooling is slightly different over here, so hopefully this will make sense! :D

In high school (years 8-10) I did things like art and home economics (sewing) but when I got into senior high school (years 11 and 12) I wanted to be a doctor so I did physics, chemistry, maths B, health education, English and Study of Religion (I went to an All girls Catholic high school, so religion was compulsory). Of course by the time I got into year 12 I was wishing I'd taken Art and Home ec as I really didn't want to be a doctor anymore :p

So after knowing exactly what I wanted to do for the previous 5 years, I suddenly had no idea! My friend pointed out that I was good with people, so I decided to do a Bachelor of Social Work.

I spent the last 4 years completeing that, and last year graduated, so I'm now a fully qualified social worker. But I have no plans, now or in the future, to ever be employed as a social worker!!

I'm now looking at enrolling in a Diploma of Costume, but it looks like I'll have to do at least 6 months of a Certificate 4 in clothing production as a pre-requisite. Very excited about doing this course as I finally know that this is what I'm supposed to be doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails