Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did your grandparents pack for personal protection in the Golden Era?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scot and anyone else interested,

For technical knowledge there are a couple books/manual series you should be able to find in your library or used bookstore.

One is the Gun Digest's Firearms Assembly/Disassembly series. They are like the Chilton's for guns. There's nothing like seeing how to tear something down to figure out how it all works together. No need to buy them new.

http://www.amazon.com/Digest-Book-Firearms-Assembly-Disassembly/dp/0873417836

The second are the yearly Gun Digest's and Shooter's Bible's themselves. Collections of articles on various gun's histories and technical specs and listings of pretty much every gun offered each year.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b...ch-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=gun+digest

The NRA's American Rifleman magazine has a good mix of articles on new guns, old guns, gun maintenance and modification and politics as well. Other gun mags vary wildly in signal to noise.

I mentioned library and used for the gun books because they are reference books, read 'em and absorb them and move on, don't buy them new. While you are in the section you will also probably see various comprehensive histories of guns, B&N usually has some in their bargain racks, those can be a good overview as well. Heck, History Channel's "History of the Gun" is overall a pretty accurate resource.

The way most folks learn about guns, is as was said, hang out with gun people. Be aware though that there's as much nonsense circulated around gun shop counters as the old general store stove.

The modern "hanging out at the gun store" are the internet forums. Reading and lurking. There are some intelligent and thoughtful people of every stripe (political and otherwise, we aren't all white middle class men) and the usual group of kids acting up and idiots who give the rest of us a bad name. But there's a lot of information available in the various technical forums as opposed to the political (which can get ugly, as political forums all over can do) and conversational (which can be either brilliant or scary or both simultaneously).

The two better ones in my opinion are www.thehighroad.org which is owned by a photographer (and Russian Jew, son of holocaust survivors) named Oleg Volk - his site www.a-human-right.com and actual art stuff is worth checking out as well - and www.thefiringline.com which is owned by a longtime gun industry writer and owner of SWAT magazine named Denny Hansen.

There are other fora out there that range from more technical to more idiotic, but there are few with a better depth of info than those two. Cruise on over and look at old threads and click on a few.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Check out Parker v. DC

Assuming the US District Court doesn't engage in tortuous readings, DC's ban should be struck down as unConstitutional fairly soon. At the very least Parker will go to the Supremes and should have a solid chance at a win there.

DC's attorney's have been treated like red-headed stepchildren by plaintiff's attorneys and in questioning by the judges. I'm only a legal dilettante (crim.justice student with unfinished BA) but I've seen better lawyering on TV.

DC's gun ban was indeed struck down today: http://www.drudgereport.com/04-7041a.pdf

carebear

I'm still reading, but the precedent they are setting will reassert, 2-1, current District Court rulings that the 2nd Amendment describes and ensures an individual right to arms. If we can get a case before the Supremes I think we can settle it once and for all, as they are pulling in Emerson and Miller in support.

I'm on about page 20 and the collective and commutarian rights arguments are getting a well-deserved legal spanking for being prima facia stupid.

If you are at all interested in how to determine if a law is Constitutional, the decision as written is a course in going back to the original document and contemporaneous sources. Not this modern "it means what we want it to mean" imbicility of "penumbrae" and social activism.

And the dissent is once again relying on tortuous and self-contradictory readings to desperately try to save the collective rights model. Which it has to, since it can't win on direct reading and plain meaning.

Looks like the District of Columbia cannot appeal as the Court dismissed their appealable issues and remanded for judgement.

Go team Constitution! Welcome to free citizenship DC-ers.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
Yeah, I'm on about page 35, and the District's legal team is pretty much taking a beating on every point. It's entertaining.

So you'll be shopping tomorrow? :D

carebear

Waiting would be good, since it all just happened today. The Distrcit doesn't know what they will do yet.

According to FOX and MSNBC, I guess they, the losers, can appeal to the full Circuit Court, as this decision was just a panel, but the likelyhood of the Court overturning it is low. Stare Decisis and all.

Plus, from a tactical perspective, that could then go to the Supremes and there's a big contingent of anti-gun folks who are afraid of what the current court would do.

This decision alone will resonate in places like Chicago, which is currently relying on similar arguments in its own regulations and to politically hogtie the rest of the state.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Let's make this thread fun.
These may fall into the antique side of vintage but are cool none the less.
From top to bottom:
Single shot .50 caliber, .44 Dragoon (the favorite), Colt Army, and pocket pistol.

I have a conversion cylinder for the '58 Remington. Instead of shooting loose ball and powder it take a .45 long colt cartridge. We have lots of fun with that one. ;)

OK, here are a couple of pics of our three man "gangster gun" collection from our "Dillinger" event, and yes they're ALL legal.
gangsterguns1.jpg

gangsterguns2.jpg

I don't have room to tell what each one is but they're all original.

carebear

Harry,

What a GREAT collection! I've been getting more and more interested in the old cartridge boxes lately, nice to see some examples. Either of those Thompsons Class III or are they the newer SA versions? The barrels look long-ish.

up196,

Nice pieces and fantastic holsters. I forgot to mention that earlier.

carebear

Harry Pierpont said:
They're all semi auto with the longer barrels, unfortunatly only about 5 of the handguns are mine, the others are split between the other two guys, (they have more money than I do).

In a utopia we would all have equally nice gun collections. ;)

If I missed another post I apologize, what was the Dillinger event? A historical display?

Rooster

Practically Family
Harry Pierpont said:
OK, here are a couple of pics of our three man "gangster gun" collection from our "Dillinger" event, and yes they're ALL legal.
gangsterguns1.jpg

gangsterguns2.jpg

I don't have room to tell what each one is but they're all original.
WHAT!:eek: No Savage pistols?;) Nice bunch of hardware :D

WH1

Practically Family
Your Dillinger event reminds me of my father in law

He grew up in chicago during the 20's and 30's. One of his best stories about it was the day Dillinger was shot, he and some of his friends went down to the theater and saw the pool of blood.
I inherited several items from his estate one of the best is a S&W 38 Special Service revolver his uncle carried as a police officer in Herin, Illinois in the
20's and 30's. I have always wondered what kind of service it saw during that time period, given the region of Southern Illinois he was in.

up196

A-List Customer
Thanks

Rooster and Carebear, thanks for the compliments.

I've actually qualified with the square butt Detective Special as a duty gun and sometimes carry it when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Since those pics were tanen a few years ago, I've acquired a few more. The best is an 1897 Winchester Trench Gun, not a riot, but a Trench, that is one of what collectors now call the "Ivanhoe" guns.

The gun is one of 74 that were traded in to Ivanhoe Distributors in exchange for newer equipment a while back by the Richmond, Virginia, Police Department. Richmond PD got them through the National Guard in 1924 as surplus to the Army's needs.

The one I have has markings on the stock indicating it was gun number "7" at at RPD Headquarters.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Handguns are highly restricted here but hunting rifles and guns are relatively popular. I love vintage hunting guns and something like this would have to near the top of my list...

HollandHolland.jpg

It's a Holland and Holland .470 double rifle from 1959. Goodness knows what on earth I would hunt with the thing - a H&H side by side would be far more practical - but I love those English big bore double rifles, a gun from a different age, plus the craftmanship.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
If I only knew

WH1 said:
He grew up in chicago during the 20's and 30's. One of his best stories about it was the day Dillinger was shot, he and some of his friends went down to the theater and saw the pool of blood.
I inherited several items from his estate one of the best is a S&W 38 Special Service revolver his uncle carried as a police officer in Herin, Illinois in the
20's and 30's. I have always wondered what kind of service it saw during that time period, given the region of Southern Illinois he was in.

My father was born in Joplin Mo. in 1907, I'm not sure how long he lived in the area but he would have been same general age as those guy's. Dillinger, 1903, Clyde Barrow, 1909, etc, etc. Joplin was a pretty well know hang out for the gangsters of the era. Unfortunately he died 22 years ago and I wasn't interested in this back then, oh the stories he might have known. Just goes to show you boy's whose fathers are still around listen more to those boring stories before it's too late.
Harry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters