Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you all think of these?

volatile

A-List Customer
I'm a lover and budding collector of vintage suits, from the 30s through to the 60s. I just snagged a couple of pretty interesting ones from Ebay and wanted to garner some learned opinions from the gallery.

Do you like them? Hate them? Did I get a decent deal or did I pay over the odds? What should I wear with them in terms of shoes, shirts, neckwear and accessories?

P1000708a.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=250193851866&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=015

P1060664.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250192158565&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I am a bit of a purist who only collects 30s 40s and does not wear them on a daily basis, although I used to hard core. That said, I appreciate many styles and creative looks. Based on your look from your avatar and the other pic ytou posted, and comments, I would say you could definitely pull them off and wear them with great style.

I am quite surprised at the price, buyt if it wre bid that high, who could say you paid too much. It must have gone for market rate.

I would not call these early or even late sixties. They look early mid seventies to me. Nothing wrong with that, but a very different look. That is why the price surprises me. I know that seventies is more in and designer suits are looking very seventies. English, being more cutting edge, maybe are wearting seventies stuff proudly now which would explain the prices.

I think if you wear these, you will most likely end up with a look that says hip cutting edge with a designery tone and a vintage flavor. Especially with the earrings, you can often pull off many looks that a more normal looking person would not.

But definitely not a look like say, the style of the new tv show Mad Men, which is more of an early sixties look, or james bondish or somethig like that.

If you wanted a more golden era look, you might taper the legs a little. I know that the seventies style is based on the fact that flares and bell bottoms are vintage, but even a twenties or thirties suit with wide legs will look seventies to most.

So, I would say if you like them, wear them with pride and style. Price is relative. The price might scandalize some on this board, but many people would think nothing of paying a grand or two for a cheaply made "designer suit." But if you want a real twenties to sixties look, this might not be the best bet and you might want to rebay them. (did I just make up a new word, or has it been used?)

The one reason I would be hesitant to pay thes prices is that these types in the US anyway, are not that hard to find in the thrift stores or in vintage shops for pretty cheap. But maybe not in England. Mind you, the exchange rate will also make these seem cheaper to you than me.

At any rate, welcome, and pursue your look with gusto and creativity and you will be happy.

volatile

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
Well, I am a bit of a purist who only collects 30s 40s and does not wear them on a daily basis, although I used to hard core. That said, I appreciate many styles and creative looks. Based on your look from your avatar and the other pic ytou posted, and comments, I would say you could definitely pull them off and wear them with great style.

Thanks for the compliments! They are quite eccentric, but that's what made them appeal to me, really. The tweed one reminds me of all the crazy college professors I've ever had, and the throat latch just melted my heart.

I am quite surprised at the price, buyt if it wre bid that high, who could say you paid too much. It must have gone for market rate.

Well, I think I paid a little over the odds, but as you mention later on the exchange rate is so good for me right now. These kinds of suit are really hard to find in charity shops (we don't really have thrift stores like in the US) and really, really expensive in "vintage" stores. I've picked up some simpler, but gorgeous suits for about 30 - 40 pounds, but these quirky ones are like hen's teeth.

I would not call these early or even late sixties. They look early mid seventies to me. Nothing wrong with that, but a very different look. That is why the price surprises me. I know that seventies is more in and designer suits are looking very seventies. English, being more cutting edge, maybe are wearting seventies stuff proudly now which would explain the prices.

I think you're right - the dogtooth one is pretty seventies looking now you mention it (and it even echoes some of the Westwood suits of the 80s), especially the lapels. That Union label does suggest pre-69 though, right?

I think if you wear these, you will most likely end up with a look that says hip cutting edge with a designery tone and a vintage flavor. Especially with the earrings, you can often pull off many looks that a more normal looking person would not.

But definitely not a look like say, the style of the new tv show Mad Men, which is more of an early sixties look, or james bondish or somethig like that.

If you wanted a more golden era look, you might taper the legs a little. I know that the seventies style is based on the fact that flares and bell bottoms are vintage, but even a twenties or thirties suit with wide legs will look seventies to most.

Agreed. I'll have to see how they look when they're on - I certainly don't want to look like I'm wearing flares!

So, I would say if you like them, wear them with pride and style. Price is relative. The price might scandalize some on this board, but many people would think nothing of paying a grand or two for a cheaply made "designer suit." But if you want a real twenties to sixties look, this might not be the best bet and you might want to rebay them. (did I just make up a new word, or has it been used?)

Again, agreed. Thanks so much for the input! You managed to verbalise all the thoughts on the tip of my tongue.

I'm not anchored to a particular decade and like to keep things fluid...

Frazier Fan

New in Town
I certainly agree that these are from the 70's-but the throat latch is a nice feature-I have a 60's bespoke sport coat from Huntsman with that feature.

Jay

Practically Family
Despite them being from the 70s, they both look real nice. I dig the strong pattern on the top one and the bottom number, I'll admit, I'm slightly jealous of. Very professor-like, especially with the elbow patches and action-back. I agree, with whoever said it, quite hip indeed.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
These are great suits, and the vests are what MAKE THEM. Obviously as far as accessories, the first thing I would look for is an excellent pocket square. Linen or cotton would be best, but silk for evening would be all right as well. Not sure what weight they carry, and whether they are summer or all year, etc...The grey plaid would like shinny black shoes, the other if light enough could go with spectators. As to ties, I guess the question is what era you are looking to associate them with; give us your evaluation on what time frame you think these related to, regardless of when they were actually made. Do you prefer "louder" ties or more sophisticated/sober looks? Either would work.

In any event great suits, congratulations. Would like to see the full ensemble when you put it all together with a great hat!

Joe

volatile

A-List Customer
Joe_Frances said:
These are great suits, and the vests are what MAKE THEM. Obviously as far as accessories, the first thing I would look for is an excellent pocket square. Linen or cotton would be best, but silk for evening would be all right as well.

Yes indeed... A white one for the tan suit seems sensible. What about the other one? From my brief stay here I've already noticed that the pocket square colour is controversial! Plain to off-set the pattern?

Not sure what weight they carry, and whether they are summer or all year, etc...The grey plaid would like shinny black shoes, the other if light enough could go with spectators.

My thoughts entirely. I thought the tan one would go with brown brogues, too.

As to ties, I guess the question is what era you are looking to associate them with; give us your evaluation on what time frame you think these related to, regardless of when they were actually made. Do you prefer "louder" ties or more sophisticated/sober looks? Either would work.

I like to have options... I'm wearing suits more and more often, so being able to mix sober and "party" looks is important. The trouble I'm having, really, is mixing and matching shirts, ties, squares, socks and shoes...

In any event great suits, congratulations. Would like to see the full ensemble when you put it all together with a great hat!

Thanks! I can't wait.

Hats are another question... These are quite tight-cut, so I'm thinking stingy-brims?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
volatile said:
Hats are another question... These are quite tight-cut, so I'm thinking stingy-brims?
To my eye, a stingy would look a little off with those lapels. Ironic intentions aside, I think that lapels/tie/brim dimensions should be simpatico.

volatile

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
To my eye, a stingy would look a little off with those lapels. Ironic intentions aside, I think that lapels/tie/brim dimensions should be simpatico.

Good point...

I only own one fedora (the shame!), dark grey with a black band. I don't think that'll work, so I should start hunting for a more co-ordinated one. Maybe black?

Do you think the tweed one needs a hat? It reminds me a little of a 30s professorial suit.

Edward

Bartender
Sharp lookin' suits..... Might I suggest a brown Akubra Fed or something in that vein to partner with the tweed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR