Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
Archéologue said:
I own a company that does archaeological investigations before big construction projects. I get to run around in the woods with my equally hare-brained employees and dig up artifacts. The rest of the time I'm sitting at a computer trying to figure out what they mean. I also get to have arguments with state agency bureaucrats if anyone thinks this is all fun and good times. I do not wear a fedora while working in the field. That's for Indiana Jones.
Michael

You have my dream job. (We need an "envy" smilie)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Lounge singer would be my occupation of choice, but I have the problem of living in a town with too few alcoholics. That is, only a drunk would appreciate the sound that comes out of my rusty trumpets.

Hence, I'm a hospital clerk.

GeorgeTheCat

New in Town
Right now I am a mechanical designer. I work with AutoCAD and Photoshop. I have been still consider myself a machinist and auto mechanic. I've been working this desk gig for about 6 years now. I miss having access to machine tools tho'...

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Do you have a 'vintage' job? or business

Do you have a 'vintage' job? I was wondering what others do for work on the Fedora Lounge...do you have a 'vintage' job or perhaps a company that feeds into your lifestyle as well?

I have been ho-humming and thinking how wonderful it would be to get paid to do what I love; driving my 59 Ranchero, dancing and dressing vintage...or at least an atmosphere that encourages this style.

So I thought I would see what everyone else does?

PS.
I believe my soul has been around the glitz and the glam of the old Hollywood dance movies; cause dancing just come too natural having never had any lessons...can't we get a revival going so I can get paid to dance and wear wonderful costumes as I drive my Ranchero to the set!? Yes, that's it! Its revival time.

http://thenetworkgirl.wordpress.com/

Well, I am currently working as a loading dock receiver at Portage K-Mart, which does NOT allow me to exude my vintage-ness, besides the fact that I listen to the oldies back there. I am trying to find a new job, since I just graduated high school and it's time to move on. I would like to find something in an office setting, so I would have a reason to wear nice shoes and slacks and ties and of course, a hat.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I was a substitute "script girl" aka script supervisor (yay women's lib!) this weekend on a student film. That's as vintage-jobbed as I've been lately.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I work in home lending for a very, very large, international bank. Personally, I can't see much about this industry that's a holdover from sixty years ago. Everything I do is done on a computer, with the exception of marking file folders. Governmental regulations concerning lending change practically every day and (in my opinion) get more complicated. And the real kicker to my job is that all of the loan applications I see come from either customers calling our 800 number or applying online. It's almost like the days where you'd bank with Harry down at First National for forty years and see him for every financial service you could think of have completely slipped away. It's regretable, I think, even lamentable, as I really prefer such personal service where you get to know the people you do business with and aren't just caller number 43 in someone's day. *sigh*

kyda

One of the Regulars
Well I am a Stay at home Mum & housewife, I have been doing this 2005 and I love every minute of it - even when they are driving me up the wall. I would like to be a secretary, but that will probably not happen because when my two children are in school I plan on having a clean and tidy house, work in my garden and devote some time to my husband.

I do not dress vintage at all, but I do dress as I was going to work in a office and I do have some VI pieces that I do wear.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I've always worked as an artist in some capacity . . .

staff artist/designer for the screenprinting industry
tee shirt airbrusher
advertising executive (co-owned an agency)
freelance illustrator and graphic designer
magazine/periodical publisher
a professional musician

and for the past twelve years, a tattooist (shopowner for ten).

. . . and an aspiring filmmaker.

Chas

One Too Many
Psychiatric Nurse, returning to school to get my degree which will allow me to move and work elsewhere.

Volunteer radio programmer (see my sig.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner