Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Geesie

Practically Family
This

3321376210_de9c2d6c8c.jpg

Although I've transitioned to the Reserve and am working on a graduate degree in geology.

Old School QD

New in Town
I'm a forensic document examiner for a federal government body and testify as an expert witness in court. I examine not only handwriting, but anything used to compose a document, from the paper to the ink, seals, and staples used upon it. I've been involved in the smallest of cases (forged signatures on rent cheques or bank hold-up notes) to large multi-million dollar mortgage frauds. My profession goes back to the 19th century, hence the appeal to me for years past.

Remember that while firearms and DNA forensics are sexy and get the press, it was tax evasion that put Capone away.

Inky

One Too Many
WOW! you guys and gals have some very cool jobs!

And, as an aside, I love me some sailors and firemen! woohoo!

okay, I telecommute, which is the very best part of my job and I never have to *see* any of my co-workers or supervisor, so I love them all very much :D

I transcribe adult and juvenile probation reports for a VERY LARGE metropolitan area in California. It's my own personal crime drama every day for 8 hours ;)

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
For now a student, but basically an artist/designer of all trades: I sew, knit, paint and draw. I'm trained to design costumes and sets for theatre and film but I get sick of working with those types of people.
I'd love to be a librarian.
Maybe someday I'll put my "real" degree to use and become a French translator.

But how do I make money? :p I'm a sales associate at TJ Maxx, ugh.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well, I sell on ebay, I work in a bakery a couple mornings a week to get kitchen experience for culinary school. I hope to be working at the bakery full time soon if not I'll be working at the local theater. And on the side I work / volunteer at the Granada. I want to go to culinary school, get 2 degrees in Culinary Arts and the other in Pastry Arts, open a small restaurant / lounge. And write on the side.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I'm a housewife and mother to two children, as well as full-time carer to my father and six boys, so I don't have my own income as such but my husband is an aerospace engineering program manager so he brings in enough that we manage... just.

I manage to afford this lifestyle much like my Grandmothers did sixty-five years ago. We don't buy fast food or fancy coffee when we are out. I make things like bread, cakes and biscuits myself because it works out cheaper. We grow our own food and take our own treats if we go places like the pictures. I have a very small wardrobe with only a couple of hats, one winter coat and several homemade dresses made out of cheap cotton fabrics like gingham. All the children have hand-me-downs, even poor little Sera who has been wearing little boy's rompers with a pink ribbon just so that she's recognisable as a girl, and I learnt how to darn REAL QUICK!

It is manageable but there are times that I wish I could just splurge on a fur coat or a pair of gorgeous heels! :rolleyes:

JennyLou

Practically Family
I'm currently unemployed but my past jobs included barista, assistant to high school band director/music instructor, and working the service deli at a grocery store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points