Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
I'm a visual effects supervisor for movies and commercials; basically a director for special effects. I make computer animated dinosaurs, blow stuff up and generally contribute to the decline of American cinema.

But of course what I really want to do is direct.

I wouldn't mind being a photographer (photojournalism and documentary work in particular), but at the moment starving to death isn't an option.

Maybe next year.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I work at a video store and am very cheap, I mean frugal. Sometimes I'll spend a large sum on something special. Usually I just wait for a decent deal.
Funny thing about e-bay is the varying prices. Look up something like Life magazine July 1946 over a period of time and you'll see them sell at assorted prices.
When I buy pulps I don't go for perfect condition because I just want to read the stories and enjoy the illustrations and articles. There was a particular copy of a Doc Savage pulp that I would find popping up on e-bay every once in a while. The seller was asking such a high original bid no-one would bite.

The Wolf

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Artist,(first and foremost ~ wannabe totally pro) machinist, (day job) interested in pretty much everything so I'm a Jack of all trades/ master of a few, and always looking to learn more. Thoroughly convinced I was a pilot but shot down in flames in a former life.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
PHOTOJOURNALIST

I work as a staff photographer for a daily newspaper. I do alot of the away

assignments...spent time in New Orleans this year (still a beautiful city)

also show in galleries (art photography). 2 small children 3 years and 6

months ... one wife.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Hmmm.... well I'm actually working full time at two jobs and part time on a couple more! lol For 9 months of the year I have a swing shift as a lift bridge operator in the harbor. Aside from that I have two full time dj positions at a local radio station (ie stations- there are 5 in the same building) and I just opened up my own photo studio in the local mall. Life is definitely keeping me busy! Any more and I don't even think I'd have time to sleep! lol

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
I'm in the United States Coast Guard and currently stationed in Seattle, WA. I'm up for transfer this summer and am impatiently waiting to find out where I'm going and what I'll be doing.

Mike

Bebop

Practically Family
xntrk said:
In practice, the difference between theory and practice is different, than the difference between theory and practice, in theory.
--Acegik Moqsuwy, circa 1990
That is a wonderful tongue twister for the brain. I love it! I also think Trinidad Co. is a pretty nice place. Welcome to the Lounge.

Naama

Practically Family
Thomas Walden said:
As for me, I am still a student (the greatest "job" of all).

What a word! At the moment (and hopefully for 2 more years) I'm studying conceptular arts (yes, pray for me!). I'm a fulltime student but actually do almost nothing.... I only have a 3day Week! And don't think those 3days are long days! Everyone hates me for that ;) But I try to start studying photografy next year, so that I'll have a little mor to do and a little, little, little bit brighter start in the future.......

Naama

Marty M.

Vendor
????????

Raffles said:
I do tend to go through jobs at an alarming rate due to my low tolerance for members of the public. Currently I am a gentleman's outfitter, not my most glamorous job that still goes to private eye.

Raffles,
What's a gentleman's outfitter?

Marty

Marty M.

Vendor
I love to work.

I've been in the men's clothing industry for twenty eight years. For the last twelve years, We've owned a custom men's clothing store. I love what I do for a living. As a matter of fact I'm a crabby guy on Sunday afternoon, because I'm itching to get back to our shop. We'll be opening another business next spring to compliment our store. Thanks for listening.

Marty

Clothes018.jpg

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
For quite awhile...

I've been a banker. Trust Department. Lawyer. I also own part of a family antiques business. I wanted to be a playboy. I bet it's too late. Interesting thread!

Barry

Practically Family
Library school student and "intern" at a federal law library in Washington, DC.

Prior to this I worked in IT.

Barry

Siirous

One of the Regulars
First and foremost I'm an engineering student so most of my effort is spent there. As far as paying jobs go I repair computers on the side for a few clients and I worked tech support for SBC DSL. I just recently quit SBC and landed a part time job in the lumber department of home depot - now to fill my garage with power tools :cool:

Sincerely,
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo