Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm an attorney who spent over three decades as an Assistant Public Defender in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago and the 'burbs) Last thing I expected to do in law school...

Interesting to hear you say this. Sounds like we followed similar career plans. I sure didn't go to law school expecting to become a career prosecutor. I actually wanted to practice property and estate law. But I became "addicted" to the pace of life in a prosecutor's office. After twenty years of watching the evening news to see how tomorrow’s work day will begin, I couldn't see myself sitting in a cubicle probating wills and doing real estate closings.

AF

Repair and replace steel, wood, automatic, and aluminum commercial doors.

A car ran through this church's entrance. Whoops! :eeek:

20140512_104710_resized.jpg

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Senior software engineer (infrastructure and software architect). At the moment, I work for a high-end online fashion company.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Occupation.

Gday boys,
This isn't an outerwear exclusive, but it's where I spend most of time. I live in Australia, ride motorbikes around, and work in pubs, restaurants etc.
I'm Not sure if this thread will take off, I thought it might be interesting to. Find out who does what for a living and what countries we call home. I know there's a little. Tab on the side that says where we live, and some people here blow me away by buying 8 jackets a month.
I. Thought it might be nice to add a bit of humanity to the posts. As I said, it's up to each of us if you want to maintain privacy. I've bumped into a few guys here on different places. I've recently gotten right into instagram, and have met some fellow members there. As a shift workering motorbike rider, I'm always interested when I bump into a fellow lounger on another site.
My real name is Ben, I run pubs for a living, zero wife, no kids, I have 2 Harley's, an 883 sporty the last before the EFi came out that I'm trying to turn into a bobber. ( moneypit disaster)The other is a dyna carb again. 98 Dyna. I own a Langlitz, sold everything else, hoping for a j106. I own dogs, a french mastiff( turner and hooch) my boxer artie. Passed away a few weeks ago at 6 years old and. It blew me away. I'm on Instagram as Bunyip1974. I now coach rugby to schools. I'm a qualified primary school teacher and also a chef. Sadly, I. Pour beer for a living.
It's up to you guys if you want to share. Just thought I would put it out there. Also, I smoke a packet a day of cigarettes ...how much do malboros cost in U.S.A? Petrol in Australia is 1.65 a litre. It's almost like mad max
The guys here that feed my bulldog, I know Sloan is a journo, I'm pretty sure Edward is a lawyer, I'm quite convinced that Worf and Bretron are Gang bangers and hitman. I'm also convinced that Hoosier is pulling the strings on Bret and Worf, and they are a lady killing conglomerate.... Anyway, suprise and excite me, have at it!
Lovely to finally meet you all. Especially you Monitor, you buy the best jackets....tell me who you are...
Benny.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lol the last part is funny and potentially scary.

my real name is Stefan, but I've been using Navetsea as screen name since 1999, I even embroidered the inner pocket of my jacket with it ( I never decide how to officially pronounce it, I probably won't turn my head when somebody verbally call me that way either).

I live in East Java (that island on the left of Bali) live in a small town surrounded by mountains which are mostly volcanoes or sleeping volcanoes, on a safe distance from all, so far the worst is only ash rain which is probably good for soil and adding character to a leather jacket & jeans, while horrible for anything painted.

I have bachelor in architecture, but I pursue something else that requires less calculator, rapidograph and ruler, yet more freehand freedom and pencils, so I became a freelance character designer, and comic artist.

I have 3 cats all adopted strays. the oldest one is a second generation, his stray mom was pregnant and so he was born in our house, he is partly dog or at least have dog personality, the only cat who answer and come everytime I call him, even for nothing.

I have a 97 twinstroke Suzuki single cylinder 150cc which I bought as new back then, it is a joke and blows lots of smoke but I love it and don't want anything else , I designed new saddle for it which was a custom made, and have it repainted and changed the wheel few years ago.

all my life I only ever have 3 leather jackets, the first one was cow, black, and a bit oversize, my mom bought me the same time she bought one for her husband. a little bit like A2 without the elasticized cuff and waist, boxy cut.
then I feel like designing my own jacket, I have zero knowledge of clothing design, but I do it anyway, so then the carrot colored sheep, and then black cow, and the latest going to be a black/ dark grey goat.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Professional Dish Pig.

3 Dishwashing Jobs in 6 Years.

Welcome to the Small town life.

Before I moved here, I was running a kitchen.

I was a Roofer before that, and also worked 4 Years in a Printing Bindery-sweatshop downtown, the place was a living Fossil but at least I could smoke cigarettes in a paper Factory all night long while breathing in tons of chlorine Bleach dust working 70 hour doubles making 9.1 CDN an hour running Derelict Heidelberg and Muller Machines and Offset presses with no Ground that would shock you if you touched the machine and put your hand on something else, Also had no safety Guard and some Jerk Lost a finger one night while punching die cut Calendars and not paying attention.

Best Job I ever had.

I *Almost* lost a finger once but that was because my Ex (who was like my Foreman) Liked to Startle me from time to time while I was pushing a half ton Paper bin around, and nearly Crushed my Right hand because I was distracted while working.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I worked at a retail store selling shoes for five years. Did well, continued getting promoted. But then I kind of got into some anxiety/mental issues, and have since, count it, quit five jobs (one of them promised 80-120k per year, yep that one lasted two weeks) in the last two years. I have a lot of work to do on myself, and that next jacket seems so elusive given my monetary situation. But I have my silly records (secret's out, CD collection) and a pen and a piece of paper to keep me in one piece. I'm also finding solace seeing other people's acquisitions here, and just continuing learning about these jackets rather than preoccupying myself with the tangible object.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Nice to meet you Benny. Good idea for a thread.
You seem to have tried your hand at many things, a true renaissance man! In this age of corporate ladder climbing, I think that's to be respected. I guess it broadens your life experience a lot. That's got to be a good thing.

I'm a semi-retired 43 year old professor of social and cultural anthropology. Love motorbikes but gave them up when I got married. Now I've got a V12 Jaguar XJS convertible that needs a complete engine rebuild, and a 74 RR Shadow stripped down to primer waiting to be painted and put back together (all of which may or may not happen depending on how much more my daughters cost me).
Liked British cars since I went to study in the UK.
Now live in Japan, and spend as much time as possible drinking Belgian beer, smoking Cohibas, and watching young ladies.
If I'm honest, whilst I've always been interested in history, I think that it's an effect of being cultural isolated here in Japan that has got me focused on vintage/old things.
I like old Japanese things from the 50's and 60's too, but I think living abroad (especially when you have kids) makes you think about your cultural identity again.
Almost forgot my dog! We had a Bernese Mountain Dog that got sick and passed away, but then very coincidentally a guy I went to uni with who became a cop here in Japan called me up about 2 weeks later and asked if I wanted this stray Bernese that was frightening kids in a local park. I said yes, and now my boy dribbles all over me and my jackets.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
There's a thread on Luonger's occupations somewhere in the OBservation Bar that you might want to look in on - I think it's called something along the lines of "What do you do for a living?"

Yeah, I'm a lawyer, of sorts. Four years at law school in the 90s, two degrees, and the past sixteen years teaching and researching as a full-time academic. It has its downsides, but on the whole I love my job. I'm currently on my sixteenth (I think) trip to Beijing in eight years, teaching law to Chinese engineering undergraduates, which is a lot of fun.

Based in London full-time. Originally from Northern Ireland (escaped in '99, around the time the accent stopped getting me followed round shops in England. I've not lost it.). Now live in Whitechapel in my own flat. Two cats, and one girlfriend. Hoping, once an ongoing redecoration project is finished, to add another two cats. I have around ten leather jackets at present, though there are, I think, four I plan to sell in order to fund more. I have around 65 pairs of shoes. I've been told some of those will have to go.

Jwag

One of the Regulars
The name is Jared. I'm 23 years old. I'm a machinist for a company that makes pipe threading tools for the oil, gas, chemical, and automotive industries. Worked right after high school. Never went to college. Live in South Central Pennsylvania. I have several serious health problems. One of which I was born with that caused my kidneys to fail. I received a new kidney in 2005 which is doing just fine, though I fear my health is in jeopardy if they don't find a cure for my rare condition(quite personal, but important).

I'm a bit of a historian for my small town, and I'm an active member of several local historical societies. Vintage clothing and tools is something that interests me as well. My main love and hobby is railfanning(taking pictures/videos of trains). I also love flying, and always wanted to get my pilot license. Cooking is another hobby, and I find it relaxing to cook up a big meal.

I have 3 leather jackets (2 horse, 1 goat) and 6 pairs of cowboy boots.

I love classic rock music, as well as classic country music(70's to the 90's). I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, and listen to floyd every day. I also like a select few of newer music groups(Rammstein, Dropkick Murphys, Porcupine Tree).

umm....thats all I can think of now...it's 5am and I've been up all night. Oh yeah, I'm a natural night owl...sleep all day, work all night!

Last edited:

Barman

Familiar Face
Cool thread.
My name's Emmanuel, I'm a registered nurse working in psychiatry. I spent most of my days with patients suffering from bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, paranoïa and melancholy. Psychotics.
I'm living in France, was born near Versailles but moved to Bordeaux for my work.
I'm married to an American woman, we've been together for 12 years now, she's a chemist.

My interests are guitars, music in general (rock music especially, 60s & 70s Classic rock), playing with my band, clothing, old motorbikes, literature and vintage video games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails