Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My name is bret. I am a 30something bureaucrat turkey neck wank. Northwesterner for life (born and raised in the Portland area, live up north in the Seattle area now). Raised by frugal hippy parents, I learned from my dear mother the art and fun of picking (garage sales, thrift stores garbage cans, and now eBay). During my teenage years, it was a means to subsidize my independence and keep me out of trouble (for the most part). Then I got married and this went on hold... Fast forward to my late 20s and I have my first kid and I have an early life "crisis"/epiphany where I decide I need a vintage leather jacket and pair of "nice" boots, and it all took off again. Have been obsessively rummaging through eBay listings and for sale ads for the good stuff ever since- have owned more boots and jackets than I care to count or admit. not for a profit but for learning about the different styles, fits, materials, eras, and most important to me the stories. I have no clear favorite style or muse. One day I'm geeking out over ball snaps on an a2 and the next thing I know I'm taking a nosedive straight into an engineer boot bender. I'm an equal opportunist I guess you would say.

The good folks I have met on here and elsewhere in cyberspace have been a really positive force in my life these past years and I consider many of you my dear friends, true blue.

Thx Ben for kicking this thread off. Keep on truckin folks!!

(Oh and if anyone ever wants to try to arrange a meetup in Portland or Seattle, let's talk. I think it would be pretty damn rad).

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm Michael, 60 years old and living atop a mountain in the Hudson Highlands. I've been a tech writer, mostly writing software documentation, for thirty-plus years. I'm divorced with two kids: my son got out of college a couple of years ago, lives with me and works full time; my daughter is graduating next month and (sob!) moving to Austin to try and break into the arts. Besides the jacketeering, I'm into hiking and cooking, and I'm a prodigious consumer of books, movies, TV, music, art, etc. I'm a longtime film collector - I started on Super 8 film back in 1972 - and still I do old-school photography with classic b/w film cameras and do my own processing. (I grew up working in my parents little commercial photo studio in the sixties and seventies, so this is a lifelong practice, an essential part of my being.) In my teens, I also made movies, read comics and science fiction, was a professional magician, and did all the other stuff geeks did back before we had computers... or respect.

I'm not a motorcycle rider, though I recently got a café racer style jacket, a Schott 654. (I had a very similar Cooper model back in the late eighties, but it never fit me right and I gave it away.) My jacket interests are primarily military repros: I've had a number of A-2s and MA-1s, an M-422A and G-1, B-15, M-43, Ike jacket, British bush jacket, etc. Also a couple of Indy jackets. Some of this military jacket obsession is to honor the memory of my parents, who both served in WWII: Dad was a sergeant in the Air Corps (not a flyer, a photographer) and Mom was a sergeant in the Marines. They were prime examples of the Greatest Generation, and though they both departed in the last five years, they remain a big chunk of my consciousness. I've come to realize that growing up in a photo studio just north of NYC when I did - hobnobbing with commercial artists, crazed inventors and entrepreneurs, and Don Draper-ish ad execs - was a really unique background!

It's FINALLY leather jacket weather here after the coldest, snowiest, longest winter in memory! I've worn four of them in the last week...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My name is David, I'm 22, and I've gone by several different screen names and nick-names. The most popular alias in high school that I went by was "K-Dawgg", which I now mark as a legal alias. When I first really got into Internet communities, it was on the James Cameron's Avatar Wiki back in late 2009. I was a Sophomore in high school, and went with a phonetic spelling of the main characters name "Jhayk' Sulliy". I still use Wikia a bit under that name, but not nearly as much as I used to. After there, I started getting into horror movies, particularly John Carpenter's Halloween. I joined a mask collecting community in early 2010 under the name of "Davy Krueger", which had been a mix of my real name and my grandfather's last name, which also happened to be the last name of a famous horror character. After that, I made my way to Jurassic Park Legacy forums with the screen name "Dinos4Ever" in mid-2011, when I was just starting college. I worked my way up from Moderator to Admin, and eventually retired in 2013 to be simple Research Staff, working on the Jurassic Park Encyclopedia. I came here back in late 2014, after deciding my New Years Resolution would be to stop dressing like a hippy/hobo, and start actually caring what I looked like. Shaving, dressing decently, that kind of thing. I chose the screen name "Bushman" because I wanted something that wasn't just hat related, but something that defined me and my adventurous spirit.

I was born and raised in New Lenox, Illinois, about 45 minutes southwest of Chicago, and I still live there while I finish up college. It's not the small town it used to be when I was a child, but it has it's perks: low crime and good schools. I just wish the town council would look for more ways to keep around some of the older structures, as the town's been here since the mid-1800's.

I'm working towards a Bachelor in Journalism and hope to be going to either Bradley University or Columbia College in the Fall. Since the present, I worked as a freelance gardener for two seasons starting when I was 16. I worked on the loading dock of the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago for a season when i was 18, I went away to college for two years, and in my time off, since 2012, I've worked as a laborer at my uncle's crane rental company. I do all the dirty work that nobody else wants to do. ;)

I'm a sampler when it comes to music. I love classical, golden age jazz, country rock, hard rock, punk rock, and showtunes. The only music I really won't listen to at all is bluegrass and rap. I'm also the same way with movies. I'll watch just about every genre, but I'm not a big fan of chick-flicks unless they're really well made. I'm a big collector when it comes to hobbies. I collect coins, movie memorabilia, vintage dinosaur toys, model ships, Halloween masks, and of course brimmed hats.

I'm also a huge History buff, and have always held a soft spot for the Golden Era. WWII has always fascinated me as a child, and I've taken 3 classes on the subject. One in high school, and two more in college.

I'm a dog person, not a cat person. I've owned a Labrador/Rottweiler mix and a Dachshund in my life. I used to be fond of cats, but at the age of 4, I was attacked by one, which left me scars on my left arm and chest. Don't really trust cats now.

Don't really ride motorcycles, but I would like to someday. A nice, small Harley at the right price would easily grab my eye, but until then I'm a car guy.

I don't really own any leather jackets, at least not anymore. I was into them when I was in high school, but I've gained a fondness for old Army field jackets, my grandfather's old M-51 being my personal favorite.

Anyway, that's pretty much all you need to know about me.

I'm Eric, 45, and lucky enough to be living my dream life.
I'm trained as a fashion/ celebrity photographer, and while that's not quite the road my life has taken I'm still taking pictures which I really enjoy. I live in the LA suburbs with my wife and 2 kids. Everyday I wake up feeling very fortunate.
I currently own the greatest leather jacket around
;-)
but it was a long road to get there......
Cheers!

Last edited:

GregO

One of the Regulars
My name is Greg, and I'm a 30-something year old corporate lawyer in Delaware. I love guitars, live music, leather, motorcycles, vintage Jeeps and women. That last one in the list resulted in the "ex" prefix that identifies my former wife. My current girlfriend recently moved to NYC to take a temporary job (3 year commitment) that she couldn't pass up. So I spend my weekends in NYC eating, drinking and shopping around the 5 boroughs, and my weekdays in glorious Wilmington, Delaware. I run and have been into CrossFit for the last few years, which is a great, always-changing workout. But in general, CrossFit people are the most annoying ****ers on the planet -- if you're curious as to why, just Google it.

I have always loved leather, hence my presence on this forum. And not just jackets. I have a ridiculous number of boots, shoes, belts, wallets, watch straps, etc. Its becoming hard to justify some purchases -- ever tried telling your significant other that the many-hundreds-of-dollars watch strap that just arrived from a custom strap maker in London was absolutely essential to completing the look of a particular watch? Yes, I have a problem.

Since the weather has turned, I spend a fair amount of time on my blacked-out Harley. I pick up a new Moto Guzzi in a few weeks (at least that's the time-frame the dealer gave me)...that will probably result in the Harley moving on to a new home.

I've come to the conclusion in recent months that my life is too complicated, so I'm working on changing all that. I've started selling off some of my stuff, and am considering downsizing my house. We'll see how that goes. A few jackets -- mostly café racers -- will hit the auction block soon...a Diamond Dave J100 repro, a couple of Aeros, a Lost Worlds, etc. A few guitars will go, a couple of amps, some artwork that has never been hung, antique toy trains, coins...a bunch of stuff - its all going to go. Then I'll assess. We'll see how it goes.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
. . . watch straps, etc. Its becoming hard to justify some purchases -- ever tried telling your significant other that the many-hundreds-of-dollars watch strap that just arrived from a custom strap maker in London was absolutely essential to completing the look of a particular watch? Yes, I have a problem.

Oh yea! Wearing a custom hornback right now.

I'm a dog person, not a cat person. I've owned a Labrador/Rottweiler mix and a Dachshund in my life. I used to be fond of cats, but at the age of 4, I was attacked by one, which left me scars on my left arm and chest. Don't really trust cats now.

I had a dog when I was a kid but I really wanted a cat and couldn't have one because my Mom (as well as many of my relatives, strangely enough) was allergic to them. I like cats because they're low maintenance. :D

pawineguy

One Too Many
Oh yea! Wearing a custom hornback right now.

and @gregO... my wife, even though she's seen them all on my wrist at one point or another, would fall over if she saw this picture:

IMG_5261.JPG

A-1

One Too Many
Here some of my engraving/artwork since getting back into it after retiring from a real job....

Wow!!!

Hi, my name’s Zeki Min, that’s my first name. Son to a South-Korean mother and Turkish father, born and bred in the North of Germany where Beck’s beer is from.
Was an almost-pro in tennis and football until I discovered skateboarding when I was 16. This sport socialized me in many ways, clothing and music-wise. There was a time in my life when “I love music and I love skateboarding” defined my whole life. I still think it’s magic to watch good skateboarders skate, it’s just one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen and heard (the wheels on concrete, hmmm.) . Started working in a skate-shop when I was 18 and bought a lot of clothing there that was still Made in USA back then.
When I was 21 I picked up the guitar, moved to Berlin, played in some punk bands, later folk bands and now solo. If you’re interested in music and feel free to take a listen and like of course:
www.facebook.com/minizek

[video=youtube;yHVsAakB2pE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVsAakB2pE&spfreload=10[/video]

www.zekimin.com

Music gave me the opportunity to go and see a lot of places already and I’m far from finished traveling the world. Playing between 40 and 60 concerts a year is a must!
I was into raw denim for the last 8 years but own too many for a lifetime already. And I love a good pair of well-made boots! Viberg and Alden are my favorites right now, but a wesco is so on the list. Damn, they’re hot!!
I love old Filson jackets, own a few and think they’re some of the best clothing I’ve ever owned.
In my “real life” though, I’m not a musician. I’m a teacher in my hometown now, after 12 years of big-city madness in Berlin. My age slips my mind all the time but it must be in the 30ies.

I only possess one leather jacket but I don’t wanna say the maker out loud. Just so much, it sounds very similar to “Ill Kelso”.

I’ve just come home from a class trip to Denmark with my 8th graders and I’m tired as hell.
Good night / Good morning.

www.facebook.com/minizek

[video=youtube;yHVsAakB2pE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVsAakB2pE&spfreload=10[/video]

www.zekimin.com

I only possess one leather jacket but I don’t wanna say the maker out loud. Just so much, it sounds very similar to “Ill Kelso”.

Very unique and you have quite the talent.

Nothing taboo about mentioning or showing off Bill Kelso products. They make fine jackets.
HD

Real quick...
Just turned 55, been in Healthcare IT for over 30 years, predominantly as a software vendor. Held all roles in Software Engineering up to now running a Product Development department of over 20 people.
Hat & boot freak but only a leather jacket nut.
2 dogs, 3 horses, 3 motorcycles, vintage Jeep, UTV, PWC, camper, misc other toys...
Live on small mini-ranch (10 acres) outside of Metro Atlanta, my wife is a reining quarter horse enthusiast (nut).
Prior Civil War reenactor & started down Cowboy Mounted Shooting lane but not stayed on that path.
Want to be a real cowboy when I grow up but not sure that will ever happen... got all the equipment but no cattle & not growing up!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
So many retired guys in the group, I envy you all, and am glad you can now enjoy the fruits of your hard work. For any of you that want to possibly fill a few hours of your week, there are a couple of part time listings that I am aware of related to our passion:

1. Customer Relations / Publicist: Come join our exciting team as we conquer the world! We are a small company based in Greece, but currently produce the world's finest reproduction jackets from the world's finest leathers, incorporating the world's best patterns and the world's greatest attention to detail. The job entails patrolling the internet to ensure no one questions the previous statement, belittling those who do, and pointing out the laziness and ineptitude of our "competitors." A big plus to anyone who has experience at either the DMV or at the IRS.

2. Broker / Buyer - While currently a one man operation, I am seeking to expand my jacket brokering empire and am looking for a few slippery characters who share my passion for discounts and size 48, 50 and 52 jackets. Please leave your ethics at the door, this is not a business for the faint of heart. If you've ever talked a kid into a 2 for 1 deal at his lemonade stand, this might be the job for you! Must not be allergic to Yak hair. Send your resume to fortypercentoffminimum@size50.com

This post by pawineguy is priceless. I got into this somewhat late. I started to say that I sell yak brushes on the internet:
YAK BRUSH.jpg
However, I am an ENT surgeon that retired from private practice after 25 years, and for the past 15 years have worked at the VA Medical center in Dallas where I've been responsible for a physician's assistant (PA), three nurses, and three ENT residents as they rotate through the VA from UT Southwestern Medical School. I have also held a clinical academic appointment at UT Southwestern Medical School for over 40 years.

I developed a love for leather jackets while in the US Navy where I served as a flight surgeon and had a USN G-1 that was stolen within a year of separation from service. I have owned three motorcycles in the past but sold my last one years ago after surgically putting someone’s head back together that went airborne on a cycle at 100 mph. :eeek:

I also have a commercial pilot’s license and instrument rating but have not flown in years since I live in a congested airspace with 6.5 million inhabitants and numerous aircraft in close proximity. The last time I flew in a private plane was in a Beechcraft Bonanza with a salesman trying to convince me that it was economically feasible for me to buy his airplane for more than it cost me to buy my house. The rest is history … lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot