Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Hi Harv, yes, quite a few good accounts there. Politics and Prose, Wegmans (the new store in Alexandria has a rack) some Smithsonian stores... Will have to look it up and send a list by PM. Thanks!

Excellent! The wife and I love to send out cards, and yours are very unique and refreshing. Excited to see your work.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Happy Birthday then. :p

That's it ? [huh]

I'd would think you could spare something more lavish...

How about a girl jumping out of a cake singin' "Happy Birthday"

and a live band for dancing & invite all the Fedora members
to party all night long ! :D

Or how about a chocolate cake & Retro Spectator can bring his Accordian ? :p

Perhaps a chocolate brownie & LizzieMaine can bring her Benny Goodman records [huh] I'm easy to please .

That's it ? [huh]

I'd would think you could spare something more lavish...

How about a girl jumping out of a cake singin' "Happy Birthday"

and a live band for dancing & invite all the Fedora members
to party all night long ! :D

Or how about a chocolate cake & Retro Spectator can bring his Accordian ? :p

Perhaps a chocolate brownie & LizzieMaine can bring her Benny Goodman records [huh] I'm easy to please .

Ok:
https://youtu.be/aF7ulsNkPXk

And old flower children on dope sing it:
https://youtu.be/_oHkcEx6Qc4

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Ok:
https://youtu.be/aF7ulsNkPXk

And my old flower children on dope sing it:

Gee...jp...what lovely children,
I can see the resemblance! You are so lucky ! :eek:
166al4h.png

EstherWeis

Vendor
I think the best way to determine if a charity does good is to talk to some of the recipients of said charity and see what they think.

I'm a breast cancer survivor, a year and a half out of treatment. Our first daughter was 3 weeks old when I was diagnosed with a late-stage aggressive, rare form of breast cancer called triple negative. We depended on family and friends, mostly, but when those people couldn't help us, charities- total strangers- did.

This is the list of places that helped our family:
Susan G. Komen Foundation- provides me with two custom lymphadema sleeves through a grant every year. I will need these for the rest of my life. My insurance does not cover these, they cost $2,000 apiece, quite frankly my family could not afford $4,000 for medical equipment per year, when we already have high medical costs due to my being a cancer survivor.

The liveSTRONG at the YMCA program- free membership to the Y for a limited time, tailored exercise program for cancer survivors with a focus on rebuilding strength and endurance after cancer treatment. Also focuses on supporting cancer survivors through mentoring. Also there is a free "retreat" at the NYS Frost Valley YMCA for cancer patients, survivors, and their families from the tri-state area.

Laurie's Hope at the YMCA (local) - this organization provided me with FREE childcare for my daughter during my radiation treatment and doctor's appointments. Without them I wouldn't have been able to find childcare for those time periods and I would not have gotten my treatment.

Herishberger fund at the YMCA(Local)- Provided a month's worth of meals, made by a professional chef in our home, tailored to my nutritional and functional needs while I went through radiation following 5 months of chemo. I was too tired to cook, a stay at home mother responsible for an infant, and my husband was commuting over 4 hours a day at that point. This was a life saver.

Positively Pink Packages (local)- provides a package to breast cancer patients at each stage of the journey. The diagnosis package includes books about breast cancer, mastectomy, and reconstruction; tissues; pamphlets about local programs and resources; and other tidbits. The chemotherapy package includes a children's book to explain chemotherapy "chemo shark" to your children and grandchildren; a turban head covering; information on local wig places and coupons; crossword puzzle books to do during treatment; and guides produced by the NIH for eating well and caring for yourself during chemotherapy. The radiation package includes several types of deodorant approved for radiation therapy; moisturizer; gauze and tape to pack your breasts; approved body soap for radiation therapy; tank tops (you can' wear a bra); and coupons for more of these items if necessary.

Bikers for Breast Cancer- provides a $500 gift card to those currently undergoing breast cancer treatment to defray co pays, help with groceries, pay for gas, etc., once (twice if the person has a recurrence).

I kind of bristle at the idea that charities don't help people or that they are just sinks for administrative perks. Most of these charities, particularly the local ones, do a LOT of good with very little resources. (Positively Pink Packages has 100% of donations go directly into providing services- and they are aggressive in getting companies to donate supplies- entirely volunteer run out of a basement of a survivor.)

If people are looking at places to give money to, and want to help cancer patients (particularly breast cancer patients) the list I provided has helped my family. I give money to those places and I KNOW they are helping people.

Now that is something isn't it?
First of all, i'm happy you are ok now, and I hope that the last 1,5 yrs have been good! I can't imagine what it must have been like for you with such a young child.

To me, it's incredible that there is this "language" amongst cancer survivors.
They come in all ages and cultures.
And i'm amazed by what those charities do for people who are currently fighting cancer. ( it's not surprising that they are either survivors or people who had relatives/friends that battled with cancer)

I was diagnosed with hodgkin lymphoma at 17.
Luckily it was caught early on ( stage 2 )
Went through chemo and radiation, whilst still going to school.
It all worked, and I've been all clear for the last 8 yrs. I have to deal with some side effects, but that is something we all have to live with, I guess.

It just amazes me that all the help, the charities and the volunteers do what they do. I greatly respect them and contribute if I feel that my help is needed. It's hard for everyone, but for me, I try to help the ones that are around the age that I was at the time.

For us it's different financially, since we have a different social security network.
But the thing you go through, and lets not forget what your family/friends go through is the same all over and it's those charity's that make the difference.
You carry it with you, and I will help if i can.

Now on topic :)
I work for a jewellery designer and make hats.

Alan, that's great! Wherever I go I look for nice cards. I love sending out/getting nice personal cards.
Call me old fashioned, but bring out the fountain pen :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner