Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I said I was a telephone operator earlier in this thread. lol Oh dear, that was so long ago! I'd forgotten about that job! I work in an accounting dept now. Just making sure numbers add up right and all that fun stuff.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of my friends feel I have unfulfilled potential and should have gotten a higher education but I think I've come to realize that I prefer doing stuff with my hands and body for now.

As time goes on, I'm convinced that the people who can actually *do* things as opposed to processing and selling things other people have done, are going to be the most valued members of society. If I had my life to live over again, I think I'd want to be something like an electrician. I don't know a single electrician in this town who isn't pushing sixty, and when they all die off the few new people who get into the trade will pretty much be able to name their price. All the I-gadgetry in the world is useless if you don't have someone around who can get the juice into the house.

Awesome to hear that you like what you do, always a plus.

Also, very cool that you were in the cheesemaking profession, that's what I do now.

I started work in Norway for Tine which makes the Jarlsberg cheese, it happened to be in the factory that exported the most cheese to America at one time. Interesting job, I worked both in the creation process and packaging division.

Also worked as a baker in a hand bakery where I had to learn on the fly everything. I enjoyed the work but working only nights and the fact that wages weren't as I wanted I left that job.

I'm currently working in a concrete factory, which isn't as hard/tough as it sounds. We make concrete pipes for water/sewage. There I'm a part of casting all the pipes, welding metal reinforcements and eventual drilling of pipes.

A lot of my friends feel I have unfulfilled potential and should have gotten a higher education but I think I've come to realize that I prefer doing stuff with my hands and body for now. It's not to say somewhere in the future I might not seek something else out but I'm content with what I have. I enjoy jobs where I can see the fruits of my labor and get a certain bit of pride when I see our products going into new road ways or as in my past jobs being eaten and enjoyed by people :).

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kinds words everyone, I'm glad some people are able to understand there is different routes in life :).

It was rather fun. I remember one time, this big machine that stirs the cheese in big tanks with blades had stopped working for some reason. I had to crawl inside along with two other co workers(with the machine turned off of course!) and manually bucket up the inside. I'm not sure the technical terms as I'm actually American and living in Norway the last 10 yrs and when I started working there my Norwegian wasn't very good. I thought the whole process was very fascinating as prior to working there I had no knowledge of how such a cheese was made.

Flashheart

New in Town
I worked for a telecoms company for nearly 20 years , but got bored and left to study full-time for an IT degree.

I now do IT support for a charity, and earn less than I did before I graduated, but at least I'm inside in the warm now !

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
My obsession became my profession, I make historical clothing for a living. 1640's-1940's. My specialties are early to mid 18th Century clothing particularly Scottish styles and WW2 Italian uniforms. I tend to get fixated on things like natural dyes and hand sewing, studying the miniscule details in things really makes me happy. Other than that I am a college student, hoping one day to achieve a PhD in military history with additional degrees in historical costuming and textiles.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well,until recently I used to make furniture, did landscaping for a long time ,and was a life style model/actor until the economy tanked in 07,before allof that I tried retail,factory work,delivery driver,Yoga instructor, 1st mate on a yacht, and a few other things. Currently looking for the next thing to
get excited about and I enjoy rehabbing hats.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I'm a Truck Driver as in Semi as listed in my profile and I do this for 3 reasons,I'm to fat,old and lazy to have a
real job.
Truck Driver doesn't sound good enough to tell people so to the people that don't know me I say I'm a Special
Commodities Relocation Engineer for a large North American company..sounds way better than Truck Driver don't you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails