Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

DocBob345

Familiar Face

I've worked in the mechanical contractor industry (power, refinery piping) for the past dozen years. Before that, banker. Anyone know where I can get a hardhat with a 2-3/4" snap brim? In brown? With a nice ribbon?

Best,
Robert

Jay

Practically Family
DocBob345 said:
I've worked in the mechanical contractor industry (power, refinery piping) for the past dozen years. Before that, banker. Anyone know where I can get a hardhat with a 2-3/4" snap brim? In brown? With a nice ribbon?

Best,
Robert
Talk to Art. I think he could throw something together.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Fletch said:
Courage, Spit. The sax is about the easiest instrument to start on. It's miles easier than the guitar, for instance. (You only have to play one note at a time.) You can play tunes in a week and have the basics down in 90 days. Of course, getting really good takes a lifetime...

Clarinet - similar story?

GOK

One Too Many
I'm a corseti?®re and I also run a business making and selling repro vintage wear, plus take private commissions for bridal gowns and more unusual apparel.

Prior to this, I was CEO of a PR firm that dealt solely with the videogames industry. (I've also worked as a games journalist and beta tester).

Before that, I was a special educational needs teacher (for almost 15 years) and part time wardrobe mistress/historical costumier. I also worked for a few seasons as a set designer.

I've also worked as a photographic model (I still do that occasionally), dancer on a TV show and hairdressing junior.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
GOK, it seems like you have followed you instincts and interests and made you hobby into a living...right?
It's nice when that happens. Normaly people have a job AND hobbies.
But living on ones hobby and interest is something else. And quite unique!

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm mostly a housewife, and I go to college when I'm not sick for my fashion degree. Other then that, I make plus sized clothing for females of all kinds (genetic or not) and am planning on opening up a shop here soon (apparently I need to, I just got a few thousand dollars worth of orders today).

I write, do decent at it. Sew, do decent at it. Spend a lot of time on my duff doing nothing.

Liz

I work in the corporate office of a candy company. In my free time I work on a website about '50s and early '60s music.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I have two hats. Most of the time I'm a grad student, trying very hard to avoid the "grad student hump" which plenty of academic people seem to have from hunching over books all day. Here's where a little vintage emphasis on good posture could come in handy.

The rest of the time I am a friendly bookseller at a chain bookstore. It's sad that one of the few bright spots in my life at the moment is that I'm winning a competition currently raging among the staff. I hope my lead holds, and I get a little prize for my efforts. :)

GOK

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
GOK, it seems like you have followed you instincts and interests and made you hobby into a living...right?
It's nice when that happens. Normaly people have a job AND hobbies.
But living on ones hobby and interest is something else. And quite unique!

Thank you Spitfire, yes I did and I am so glad. I am much happier and less stressed now. I suspect most people that make a living from their hobby are too.

AtomicFabulous, it would be inappropriate to discuss my work here in the forum but if you want to email me, I'll be happy to chat to you. :D

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Photoshop

That's what I do, for print not web, but I sure like to have fun with it.:D

DoYouLikeMyHat.jpg

Christopher

New in Town
Such an interesting thread...

I do administration work for a national cable/internet/phone company. Basically I look busy while surfing the internet waiting for my boss to say "fax this". Its boring and dull but it pays the bill while I try to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I will be 40 this coming year...is it too early to grow up?

~Christopher

D

drafttek

Right now I manage a used car dealership. I say manage, but I'm the only employee. I sold new cars (Chrysler & Jeep) for two and a half years before that until I burned out this past spring, quit, took the summer off, and flew aerobatics from April to October :D . Prior to all this I worked at a beer wholesaler for eighteen years installing and maintaining draught beer systems :cheers1: . My ultimate goal is to get my business up and running, get my flight instructor certificate and continue to live off my wife's earnings.

Radioflyer

New in Town
Like my name says, I'm into radio...been a disc jockey all my life (25 year morning jock) but an now a Production Mgr for five stations: meaning I write produce and voiceover radio spots. I also live to flyfish, tie flies and build my own flyrods. Also have a studio at home and do freelance voiceover work.

Civil War and Roman history fanatic too...

rf

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Just got my masters in animation. Whoo hoo!

Im an illustrator (childrens books mainly)
Storyboard artist
character designer
printmaker (Love lino cuts!!)

Right now Im the concept artist for a film in pre production, so wholl know how that goes.

Im also working on a grafic novel (fantasy) we'll see where that leads.

LD

I just stumbled across this thread, so many belated congratulations are in order!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Television... the root of all evil

TV producer/director - mainly history and arts documentaries. I love it. I get to use all my interests and hobbies, and learn lots more along the way. My vintage collection makes it on-screen reasonably regularly too!

Gosh, there are some interesting jobs in the Lounge, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner