Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you do ...?

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
...and you enjoy Tequila. :)
And Red wine and Whiskey, Whisky, dangerous to tell with a lot of cops around, bullfights, NFL, Soccer and a music junkie who cant play anything.

Proud Dad with a kid who plays piano, flute, guitar and sings, another one who is an Sport Billy clone and the baby, 6 years old, who believes he is the handsomest guy on earth, love to spend time with them.

Dog lover with a little zoo at home, tarantulas, huge turtles and a barbed dragon, 2 Giant Schnauzers, a couple of hamsters and lab rats.

Love old cars and proud owner of 3, 1955 GMC series 2 pick up, 1982 CJ7 Jeep and a 1962 190 C Mercedes Fintail.

Did I say hat lover before?? I got this from my 2 grand fathers, they both liked hats, one is still alive and kicking at 98 and still wear a hat or a cap every day, also got the liking for,red wine and cognac from my mothers grandfather as he was from Spain and the Tequila one from my fathers one, both loved the bullfights so I got hooked, I even tried to become a Novillero but I had no art...so I had to quit...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I haven't checked in very often recently so I have only just seen this.

I find it very interesting that so many people are or have been musicians, both professionally and as amateurs.
When I left music college I started work in a secondary school (children of the 11-18 age range) I worked there for 13 years teaching music up to A-level (pre degree/university level) as well as teaching brass and guitar and for a while teaching physical education. 11 years ago I moved house and became a full time guitar teacher with a local authority music service. I now mainly teach the under 11's. A very different group of abilities and attitudes!

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Would working for two days as an extra on Oliver Stone's The Doors count? You can spot me if you know exactly which two seconds of footage to watch. :p
I've done so many extra parts can't list them. The thing people remember that I did was a stunt double for the fire breather in "Revenge of the Nerds". Had other stunts in Westerns.

Snortman45

Familiar Face
I was in Unix and Linux system administration for about 15 years, before switching to Information Security a couple of years ago. I have started delving into digital forensics over the last few months. Still have a lot to learn in that area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I re-read the OP and realized that I had neglected to mention any hats that were related to my work. I wore an Open Road (or an OR clone) to work almost everyday. When I was in court, I'd perch it on my briefcase or at the edge of the councel table. When I was out of my office, it was almost always on my head. I generally tried to make it my local "trademark". And it must have worked. Nowadays, when people speak to me, they seldom ask what I'm doing with my newly found free time. But they almost always ask about my hat.

AF

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm a cop, been one almost 30 years.

I wear a Stetson campaign hat when I'm in the public eye.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

funny... I have never heard a police officer refer to himself as a cop ... only non cops

great hat choice ... is it issue or personal preference ?

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I was an extra and recorded some music for the horrible 1999 movie Detroit Rock City .... which is about some kids trying to get to a KISS concert

my good friend Tim Sullivan worked for New Line at the time and was one of the films producers ... cool experience ... got to become friendly with the guys in KISS ... who were all pretty much assholes ... all but Ace

Replace "horrible" with "cult-classic," and I'll admit to Detroit Rock City being one of my favorite flicks as a teenager.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
No, moon, we'll occasionally do it but most of the time we say PO--lice.

Yeah, and if you are in my part or Bamaboots part of the country and you don't pronounce it that way when you knock and announce, the people will say who? As far as headgear for work, we are issued the 8 point cap. We are only required to wear it for parades, funerals, and other formal occasions. It is not really a functional piece of equipment. Doesn't keep your head warm and in the rain, the rain rolls off the back and down your neck.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, and if you are in my part or Bamaboots part of the country and you don't pronounce it that way when you knock and announce, the people will say who? As far as headgear for work, we are issued the 8 point cap. We are only required to wear it for parades, funerals, and other formal occasions. It is not really a functional piece of equipment. Doesn't keep your head warm and in the rain, the rain rolls off the back and down your neck.

not unlike GI -tar

I did some work with Jamey Johnson back around 2003 '04 ... and if you pronounced it any other way you would probably get kicked out of the studio

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
"What Do I do?"

What a great thread... I have enjoyed reading this.

I am a professor at a small university in Miss... although when asked what I do, I just tend to reply that 'I'm a teacher...'

I taught Risk Management and Insurance... my major area has been phased out and I am in limbo at this time. I have been here at the university for 27 years... I've loved it... another professor somewhere back mentioned that he was going to remain as long as he could tolerate the administrators and politicians... I wholeheartedly concur. I have the hours and the professional background to finish out my teaching career in the area of microeconomics. Prior to teaching, I was a stock broker for about five years... the most miserable five years of my Life.

After I graduated from college, I spent some years working with my Dad at his scrap metal recycling business. I loved it. Unfortunately, working with family members (brothers) has draw backs.

As much as I hate to admit it I am another frustrated bass player... and I LOVE it. There is nothing like playing with a great drummer... and laying down that groove. I've also spent some time trying to learn many of the acoustic songs by the BeaTles... amazing chord structures... Joe Walsh once said that if one wants to learn to play the guitar, then learn every BeaTle song.

My oldest sibling died a few years ago... and a brother and his wife pointed to one of the photos at the visitation... of my paternal GrandFather... wearing a fedora... and said that I looked just like him. That started it, I guess, but to be fair, I've always had 'something' for big brimmed western hats.

Fedoras and hats aren't a necessary part to being a professor, but they sure make it fun. Thanks to many of you that have posted in this thread, I own WAY too many hats... with more on the want list.

My screen name comes from my 'work shoes'... as a reminder to not take myself way too seriously at work, I started wearing red Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars as my teaching shoe. The students love them... they tend to go quite well with suits, sportscoats, etc. I even managed to garner a letter of reprimand for wearing the shoes to work... quite an accomplishment, given that we don't have a dress code.

I love what I do. I have been fortunate... six years, I have received the College of Business Teaching Award twice, and the university-wide teaching award once. I've been blessed. I was selected to go to Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands a few years ago as a guest lecturer. How amazing for me... and all I have done is show up and work in the class room.

The past couple of years have been hard. For one, I've been diagnosed with the disease that caused the death of my Mother... it doesn't seem to be as aggressive as hers... but I have my days with it. The most recent event, however, was that I fell off of a stupid ladder while painting my hallway at home back in September... and am still dealing with the headaches and effects of a serious concussion. Ugh...

I apologize if I got carried away...

I hope others will keep this going.

~shoes~

Last edited:
No, moon, we'll occasionally do it but most of the time we say PO--lice.
And how do you pronounce the word "deputy"? I was taught it was pronounced "DEP-yoo-tee", but every time I see an officer on a televised news story they always pronounce it "depp-uh-dy" with no particular emphasis on any syllable.

And how do you pronounce the word "deputy"? I was taught it was pronounced "DEP-yoo-tee", but every time I see an officer on a televised news story they always pronounce it "depp-uh-dy" with no particular emphasis on any syllable.

Zombie, down here in the South, I interacted with a number of Sheriffs departments and I'm not sure this translates well to the written word, but it always sounded like deppitty to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21