Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You DO?

Etienne

A-List Customer
I'm reading lots of threads about appropriate clothing and I am wondering about something. Gentlemen, when you are in the middle of a hands-on project around the house, for example repairing something, aren't you likely to be wearing "messy work" clothes? And, if you need to run to the hardware store to get parts, do you stop and shower, change clothes and then go to the store? And then do you change again when you get back home? I'm asking because when my husband is working around the house, he gets plenty dirty and FREQUENTLY has to make trips to get parts, pick up bags of this or that at Home Depot, fill the car with gas, etc. And USUALLY he gets hungry and wants to stop and get a bit to eat on the way home. Consequently, he looks pretty, uh...grubby at the store and the gas station and at the food stop. If he had to change his clothes every time he needed to run out, he'd go ballistic! He's a VERY hands-on, do it yourself man, and he does all the construction, repairs, fixing, landscaping, etc. himself--so he ususally is in shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. (We live in HOT Southern California.) I REALLY would like to hear what you guys do...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
While painting my house last year, I made paint store runs in what I was wearing: paint-splattered shirt, cutoffs and tennis shoes. I mean, come on--showering and changing to pick up a can of paint! I did eat at home, though.

Mr Nick

New in Town
You do what you have to

When I'm in the middle of what you describe, I go as I am and get what I need. I don't have the time to clean up, change, etc. I go straight to the place to get what I need and straight back. They all know at Lowe's Home Depot or what ever, that many, if not most other guys are doing the same thing. Most of the time it's in and out and off again. Sometimes it's an advantage to look like a "working man" because they try and help you and get you back out as soon as possible because it's obvious you're on a mission and have things to do and not just some rubber neck looking around and asking dumb questions. I will admit that most of the time I end up going by myself because my wife and daughters won't go out with me "looking like that!"[huh]

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
As little as possible, generally...

Hilaire Belloc said:
Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Although to be honest I normally throw on an old flightsuit.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Depends

To run to the store for something, I'll wash up (hands and face), tuck my shirt in and throw on a cap before heading out. But there would be no stopping at the grocery store, mall or to eat on the trip.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Much of this can be eliminated by planning: Writing down your tasks for the day and making sure you have the tools, supplies and groceries you need before you start. You can run all errands at once and then work on your projects without interruption.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sometimes I'll actually dab on a little extra paint or grease and stuff when I have to run out for supplies -- because that's the only way those hardware store guys ever take me seriously. (The only ones worse are the yahoos at Radio Shack, and grease and paint don't seem to work with them...)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Much of this can be eliminated by planning: Writing down your tasks for the day and making sure you have the tools, supplies and groceries you need before you start. You can run all errands at once and then work on your projects without interruption.

In defense of the weekend handyman, I think it's virtually impossible to make sure you have all the tools and supplies you need until you get into a project. Fortunately there are several Mom and Pop hardware stores within a few miles of my house, so I don't always have to go to Lowes. I like to give them my business anyway, the big stores don't need my help.

And in an effort to stay on topic: however I'm dressed while working is how I go to the store-tshirt, shorts and ball cap most likely.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Etienne- if you've never worked on cars you wouldn't ask that question:) Seriously, I've gone to the auto parts store very greasy and regularly see other guys in the same shape. If I need something I will not clean up just to plunge into the dirt again upon return.

The places you mention are accustomed to seeing customers disheveled and often more than a bit dirty.

Come on! You guys live in casual So. Cal. Fast food places aren't jacket and tie mandatory. Look at the other people there. They are casual dining facilities not formal ones.

And while pre-planning your purchases is fine remember in things like auto repair you run into the unexpected and at all stores the so-called sales people never ever make suggestions anymore. Like if you are in the paint store the clock-watching, dope at the register will not ask "need any thinner, brushes or rollers?" if you are purchasing gallons of paint. He doesn't care.

Many times I've had the needed materials to make a plumbing repair and found something additional that has broken, worn to the last inch of its life or whatnot.

I was mentioning the casual attire thing in another thread once about not changing clothes from my sweats to go to the 7-11, the auto parts store or the hardware store.

I'll bet your husband has been tweaking one of those cheezy plastic sprinkler heads and found it broken or otherwise in need of replacement instead of adjustment and he has dirty knees and grubby hands but needs a new one. I have. Dust off, rinse off and go[huh]

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Sometimes I'll actually dab on a little extra paint or grease and stuff when I have to run out for supplies -- because that's the only way those hardware store guys ever take me seriously. (The only ones worse are the yahoos at Radio Shack, and grease and paint don't seem to work with them...)

lol Lizzie you are too funny!

Actually, I usually do what Paisley says, I make a list and then running out in the middle is usually eliminated. If I really need something, I'll ask someone to get it for me, that's why God made brothers and boyfriends. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
OK, I didn't say I never had to make multiple trips. (I am thinking about the time recently when I had to get another toilet seal. I'll spare you the yucky details. :mad: ) But planning it out and writing it down really does help keep you from spending your day adjusting and reacting (and going around town looking like a ragamuffin. That's when your ex is sure to see you ;) ). And if you know you have a really busy day ahead, you can even whip up your lunch the night before.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Aargh!!!!! This happens to me ALL the time! I write a reply and as soon as I try to "send" it, I get a thing that says I'm not logged in and my message gets erased! GRRRRR. To sum up what I just wrote, I was hoping it was becoming apparent why I asked the question in the first place! I just wanted to point out that real people do real things in this day and age and sometimes those things make us look grubby! So maybe we should be at least a teensy bit more forgiving when we see folks looking slovenly sometimes. (Habitual slovenliness is one thing and it certainly is unfortunate, but I'll bet we all have looked pretty bad in public at one time or another and maybe we could cut a little slack here and there!)

Whew! My shorter version is probably better!

Rosie

One Too Many
Etienne's very right but with all due respect, seeing someone looking slovenly at the hardware store, running errands, etc. is forgiveable, seeing someone slovenly at oh, I don't know, a job interview isn't. I think most of us get a little peeved when we see someone doing the latter. I work in my garden then go walk my dog, I'm certainly not going to get dolled up donning gloves to do that but, I won't go too far from home dressed that way either.

Etienne

A-List Customer
And I DO agree 100%--very, very frequently individuals dress completely inappropriately for the occasion at hand! And many make a 24/7 habit of it. It is a reality that is sadly deplorable. My point is just that we can't lump ALL people who wear flip-flops, for example, into the "slob pot"; sometimes it's just what was handy at the moment they had to run out. My point had more to do with being a little less hasty to pigeon-hole folks! (And, let it be said, my query about whether or not one runs in and showers and changes clothes, was tongue-in-cheek; of COURSE we don't do that! We go out, get the parts, and come back home and finish the work. And should some FL person observe us looking less than polished, it is hoped they would realize that sometimes a man's (woman's) gotta do what a man's (woman's) gotta do!:) ;)

zeus36

A-List Customer
What Doc says; I usually throw on an old flightsuit or a pair of BDU cammies with steel toe boots to do work around the house.
I find that shorts and sandals are great on the beach, or running out in public to get that one item you need,
but not for the Honey-Do and auto/motorcycle repair stuff.

I will also wear nitrile gloves so if I need to head out and pick something up at Home Depot or the local stores, I don't need to worry about looking like a grease monkey.

I live in SoCal as well.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Etienne, I have (unfortunately) a story to top your husband's. Years ago I was a wildland firefighter with the U.S. Forest Service. My fire crew and I came off the line covered in soot, smelling like smokey diesel-fuel sweaty apes. With no chance to shower or change we proceeded to crash a Denny's all-you-can-eat. You can imagine the response we received. Even worse, Uncle Sam footed the bill so the restaurant received no $$$ from any of us.

On a more normal daily basis, if I'm doing dirty work and just have to run for parts or the McDonald's drive through, I won't bother to shower and change...until the work is finished for the day. But if I'm heading out to teach class, you bet I'm cleaned and puttin' on the ritz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24