Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you look like?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Pleasure boating! lol Looks fun!

What's the story on that pic? Besides brrrrr, that is!

Northern Edge 2001 (IIRC) February in Ketchikan, Alaska. Water temp is in the low 30's, thus the drysuits. Air temp? Well, that's snow there on my boat. The Marine in the water is the Company Gunny for the Delta Co, 4th Recon out of Albuquerque, NM. They were doing some swim training in that photo and he had a leak in the neck seal of his suit. He actually got back in the water and finished the swim.

During that exercise we were, as we always are, the OpFor. We made land, swim, boat and scuba attacks against the USS Naushon. "Sunk" her quite a few times, which we do every year to every target, playing defense sucks in cold weather against us locals. It was fun, we swam against the Navy's dolphins a couple times. That's about the only reliable asset to stop a swimmer. Unless you come in under the pier where they won't go or there happen to be orcas in the water (the dolphins run for their pens).

I miss the Corps. :(

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
The Captain said:
Hey, "Shoes", show tunes were not in our repertoire! Never could get behind two diverse gangs engagaed in a "rumble" and then stopping to sing and dance. I have to admit that this picture looks posed, but that's just the way we looked. (Just part of the "13th Street gang!")

well i think you look great. as for two gangs stopping to sing and dance, better that than to continue and slice and dice each other!

"shoes" - cool....i like that!

shoes

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
Northern Edge 2001 (IIRC) February in Ketchikan, Alaska. Water temp is in the low 30's, thus the drysuits. Air temp? Well, that's snow there on my boat. The Marine in the water is the Company Gunny for the Delta Co, 4th Recon out of Albuquerque, NM. They were doing some swim training in that photo and he had a leak in the neck seal of his suit. He actually got back in the water and finished the swim.

During that exercise we were, as we always are, the OpFor. We made land, swim, boat and scuba attacks against the USS Naushon. "Sunk" her quite a few times, which we do every year to every target, playing defense sucks in cold weather against us locals. It was fun, we swam against the Navy's dolphins a couple times. That's about the only reliable asset to stop a swimmer. Unless you come in under the pier where they won't go or there happen to be orcas in the water (the dolphins run for their pens).

I miss the Corps. :(
High speed, low drag, Carebear! That's motivating! You recon guys sure earned your pay, I'll tell you!

I was artillery while I was on active duty, and infantry (heavy mortars) in the reserves. Not too sexy there! No one envies you when you're humping an 81mm tube. I went to brief some incoming reservists about a month ago, and it turned out to be my old unit, Weapons, 1/24. Pretty wild.

I miss things about the Corps, but since I still work for the Marine Corps as civil service, I'm reminded daily why I left active duty! lol

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

This is me.

Dscn3632.jpg

And here I am in a more "Fedora Lounge" type attire

spanishneedles060.jpg

Atticus

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
avacheap.jpg

Hollywood Tramp.

I just purchased everything I'm wearing in that picture today on Melrose. Each item was less than 10 bucks -- even the vintage borsalino (which is a couple sizes too big for me).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Canarsie, just visit the forums, and when you see something you like, make a quick "nice hat!" or "Nice tie!" post. You'll hit 15 in no time.

Oh, and welcome to The Lounge.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Since others are posting some non-vintage pics I thought I'd follow along.
Crawfish is a well known favorite of mine amongst my friends and here I am having my 1st plate of real New Orleans crawfish.I love how tangible the excitement is on my face and yes that plate was all mine:

47b4db31b3127cce9a3b43da810500000045119AbOXLFk0bS

47b4db31b3127cce8ed002a6e1b500000006109AbOXLFk0bS

Here's the most recent pic at 5 months pregnant and completely modern:

47b6ce37b3127cce8d91139d976900000065139AbOXLFk0bS

Steve

Practically Family
The other day I set up my camera to take a series of film noir-style photos. They came out tolerably well considering that they were taken on the fly with no set up whatsoever. The first one became my current avatar.

img3482copysm8.jpg

img3476ia2.jpg

img3477ba2.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
canarsie said:
And please some details on the jacket. Looks almost G-8 like.

hi....it's a non sheepskin AN-J-4!

The AN-J-4 (Army navy jacket type 4) was a joint Army/Navy design procured in 1943 and based on the USN M445.

My jacket is actually a modern jacket ( I have very few modern clothes, but I had to make an exception for this!) It was a limited edition made by Avirex many years ago. Basically they took the shearling AN-J-4 pattern and reworked it as a goatskin intermediate jacket. I am not a fan of Avirex, but they did a very good job on this special project.

I have always thought the AN-J-4 lent itself to this kind of adaptation and I only wish someone like Eastman or Aero would have a go. They'd do it even better.

Sorry to say you won't get one from Avirex now. I got mine on ebay, and it's the only one I've ever seen there.

It's around a 40-42 and as I'm 38 I have to wear it with the cuffs turned up. It works surprisingly well because the soft goat hide drapes so well. But if ever i find a 38 this one will be up for sale....

Yes, Averix still do a similar jacket they call the M-440 or G-8 but neither the design nor the quality are as good. Lost Worlds do a copy of the Averex G-8 which is much better quality, they call it the Raider I think...or something like that.

The cap is also relatively modern. It was made about 30 years ago by a local (West yorkshire) firm whose name I can't remember and as the hat is several flights up the stairs you'll have to make do with that! It is made from a heavy green Yorkshire tweed and the dimensions are pretty much the same as my original 1930s tweed caps by makers like Falcon...very unusual to find a modern one that big and floppy, which is why i snapped it up!

In fact that picture is about as modern as i get! Normally I only wear pre-1960 vintage, but i do make the occassional exception if the design and quality are right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points