Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you make of this?

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Now before I let you go any further, I warn you that there is at the end of this post an "unsettling" image (nothing inappropriate I assure but unsettling nevertheless).

As some of you may have gathered by now, during some of my free time I work as a volunteer at the Canadian Railway Museum. Most of the time I act as a guide but on some occasions I do bring my photo equipment and shoot images of the collection that the museum can later use as it sees fit.

About a year ago I did an entire afternoon of photography in what we call the Great Gallery, a large train station-like area where locomotives and rolling stock are in display. With me, three cameras, a traditional Pentax K-1000 with Tri-400 Max black & white film, my Canon Rebel XT and another Rebel XT (belonging to a friend) but with the infrared blocker, in front of the CCD, removed (this allows the camera to shoot near infrared-like images).

Here's an example of an infrared pic taken with the second Rebel XT:

713_vertical.jpg

Here's another one:

144_numberplate_horizontal.jpg

At some point during the afternoon I stepped aboard sleeper car Neuville, built at the end of the 19th century for the Canadian Pacific. It's a passenger car equipped with 4 bunks and one lavatory. Seeking to get unusual angles, I stepped inside the lavatory and took a picture. Unfortunately I had forgot to remove the flash. Here's the picture:

oct0372.jpg

What I had found interesting with this angle was the fact that the next track was visible throught the mirror's reflection. I shot the picture again without flash but my Sigma 17-70mm lens, not having any image stabilization, produced blurred shots. That's when I decided to take the picture again but using the infrared-sensitive Rebel XT.

And this, is what came out:

oct0305blank.jpg

Not knowing if the shot was any good, I took another one and this is what I saw on my computer, back home. (this, is the unsettling pic):

oct0305b.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
OK, stop making me not want to sleep! That is creepy! Even if someone put it there in Photoshop. :) I'm not saying you did, I'm just saying that really IS unsettling no matter if it's a ghost or creative license!

zaika

One Too Many
holy bananas!! that's an AMAZING catch!! i have never seen a photo that clear before. you should submit it to a reputable paranormal group (like TAPS or something) and see what they make of it. do you know the history of this specific train? any legends or anything like that?
i'm not easily frightened...but this gives me the creeps.

btw...first two photos are beautiful.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. Is this for real?

if so, can you find out any info? That's pretty weird, espcially the size of the eye in proportion to the rest of the face - not normal.

VB

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
That's Awsome. Now are you pulling our leg or is that real? Either way I'm gonna have to sleep with my dogs in the room tonight just for comfort of not being alone :D :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Now that I've given that picture a second look (ok, ok, more like a tenth look), it suddenly dawned on me that she looks a lot like my neighbor's kid sister...that's kinda creepy...

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
It's a ghost of ... a mask. Who would have thought that a mask could die? ;) .
It's certainly creepy that your neighbor's kid sister looks like a dimestore Mardi Gras mask.

Aww Marc you ruined all the fun.

Mask, ghost or photoshop hoax it is still a rather spooky photograph.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
First of all, WOWZERS! Did that give me a jolt....

Now my conclusions:
First - Dominic, you have one of the best jobs ever (even if it's volunteer)
Second - I know zip about photography
Third - That picture can be best ascribed to.... er... maybe... one of.... hehe, Happy halloween everyone!

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Well, all I can tell you is that it's no halloween mask or any other kind of mask. The third IR shot shows it clearly.

oct0304.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Dominic said:
Well, all I can tell you is that it's no halloween mask or any other kind of mask. The third IR shot shows it clearly.

oct0304.jpg

It's NOT true, I don't believe any of it.
... but it is a fun shot ... :D :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot