Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Sound Like?

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
I do call soda Pop! Jeepers I gots a accent

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>The Inland North</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 78%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 75%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 73%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Philadelphia</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 53%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Northeast</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 45%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 29%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 22%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 0%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
The south,which is no surprise. I was born in the south, lived in San Francisco Bay Area for 48 years and now live back in the south again (Alabama). Although I would have thought it might be the west after so many years in California. I guess you never really completely lose your original accent.

Bill Taylor

pgoat

One Too Many
fuhgedabouddit

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
inland north w/philly concentration...kinda right...born and half raised in newark then moved to cali and developed the afro slang...mobster/ghetto...unique...
i retook it and changed one thing and it gave me north jersey so...now it's right...

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yo ova here....

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne said:
KeyGrip, I wonder what kept us from being "The West?"

Dunno. I'm southern California born and raised, and I doubt my excursions to North Carolina and Virginia were long or frequent enough to change my accent. Perhaps their idea of a "western" accent is something more stereotypical or exaggerated like the surfer dude or the cowboy. [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Result says Philadelphia which would crack friends in Philly up. In college, I was told that I speak something called "Radio American" which is not a regional accent. Considering the constant evolution of the English language (and others) as spoken in the US, my guess is that colloquial language rather than accent may make a person more easily identifiable regarding region of residence or origin.

jayem

A-List Customer
<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>The Inland North</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 85%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 80%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Northeast</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 64%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Philadelphia</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 60%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 54%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 49%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 31%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 29%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

Philadelphia, apparently.

… someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

I get this all the time. Everyone thinks i'm American. Even Americans living in England think i'm American. I have probably the weakest US accent of all time, though my Scottish accent is by now extremely weak too (has been for many years). So now i just have this weird what they call mid-Atlantic nothingness of an accent.

bk

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Right On The Money

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>Philadelphia</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 100%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 90%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 81%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Inland North</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 78%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Northeast</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 73%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 25%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 25%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 8%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

And DAMN proud of it, too :p

But people have actually told me they thought I was "French" before because of my accent. Still don't know how Philly sounds like French -- we can sound pretty awful sometimes!!!

Rufus

Practically Family
I got Philly... despite not being an Americaner. (I'd like to be though!!)

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>Philadelphia</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 100%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 90%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 81%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Inland North</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 78%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Northeast</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 73%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 25%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 25%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 8%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

Edward

Bartender
Interestingly enough, so did I... and Rufus and I aren't a million miles apart on the accent front....

I was once asked at a conference in Cambridge (England) University whether I was "the guy from Vegas." [huh] I don't sound remotely American at all.... Liam Neeson is closer the mark, I'd say. ;) I get mistaken for a Scot a lot down here, which is fine (used to encourage that sometimes back in the old days.... people occasionally used to be a bit funny about the Irish in England, even in the early 90s). Only time I really took offence was when they thought i was English..... :p lol

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>The Northeast</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 100%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Philadelphia</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 87%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Inland North</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 85%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 60%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 54%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 44%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 18%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 2%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

ETA: I wonder, thinknig about the emphasis on NYC in my results, was it the influence of the large Irish immgrant population on that part of the USA's way of speaking being reflected back on me?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm a New Zealander and got this...

<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px arial, verdana, sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white; color: black; padding: 5px;"><b style="font: bold 20px 'Times New Roman', serif; display: block; margin-bottom: 8px;">What American accent do you have?</b> <div style="font-size: 16px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Your Result: <b>The Northeast</b></div><div style="width: 200px; background: white; border: 1px solid black;"><div style="width: 88%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div><p style="margin: 10px; border: none; background: white; color: black;">Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.</p></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Inland North</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 81%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Philadelphia</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 73%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The South</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 50%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The Midland</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 40%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">Boston</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 31%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">North Central</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 15%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td style="color: black; background: white; padding: 3px;">The West</td><td style="background: white; padding: 3px;"><div style="width: 100px; background: white; border: 1px solid black; margin-top: 4px;"><div style="width: 6%; background: red; font-size: 8px; line-height: 8px;">&nbsp;</div></div></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align: center; padding: 8px;"><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have"><b>What American accent do you have?</b></a><br><a href="http://www.gotoquiz.com/">Quiz Created on GoToQuiz</a></td></tr></table>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy