Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

dnjan

One Too Many
NonEntity said:
It's Solingen steel, but not exactly stainless, as the blade will develop a bit of rust on the surface if left in the moisture of the bathroom unprotected, so I long ago learned to put a thin coat of gun oil on, since I rarely use the razor.
The 400-series stainless (the ones that good stainless cutlery is made from) will rust if allowed to remain moist (or in a moist environment). Just much less than a carbon-steel blade of similar hardness.

As far as a current source, I would still start with your barber. At least you can ask if his/her suppliers still carry them.

SteveS

New in Town
Thanks to everyone in this thread for inspring me to try wet shaving with my DE. I shaved with this technique/method for the first time this afternoon and it was a great experience, the best shave I ever had! I can't waite till my technique improves and see how much better my shave will be. There is no going back to the 3 blade cartridges anymore I'm hooked!

arthur

Suspended
Now am I wrong but I've always understood that they {the stores}charge confiscatory rates for those modern replacement blade type razors.A pack of old fashioned {like me:) }double edge blades are relatively cheap and last forever.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Arthur I too get some longevity out of the DE blades. I have been using Derby blades for the last 10 months and I can push a blade to 7 days. Which means that my five dollar order of 25 blades lasts....over six months. That offsets my fondness for trying out new things....lol

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
I guess I have wimpy facial hair..lucky me:eusa_clap

Of course I do a bit of prep and even at 3 days you are not paying that much either.

I have been known to push the blade further than my face prefers as well....

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I know there are sharper blades out there than the Derby but they seem to bite me, so I stick with them. If I have to shave for the evening so be it.

dnjan

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
I wish I could get a week out of a blade, after 3 days I retire a Derby. But it still cost a LOT less than when I was using cartridges.
You also might try rinsing the razor off in cold water rather than hot. A long time ago I was told that hot water accelerated the deterioration of the cutting edge. Have never tested the theory, as I use a straight razor.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
I am on to my 5th shave with my open razor and because I am still in the early stages of learning this art,I still use my Merkur slant bar safety razor for speed sometimes in the morning.I felt I was cutting my face off with the safety razor when I got it first.
Now,however it feels easy after using the str8 razor!but the thing is,I have cut myself more with the Merkur than with the str8.I now use superlather and got a mortar & pestle and use it (lovely marble) as a lathering bowl.I'm just after getting 30 feather blades too.They'll last for ages!:D

Brinybay

Practically Family
I want to "upgrade" from disposables and aerosol to vintage safety razors, shaving soap with the mug, brush and whole bit. Question is where to get the stuff? Should I get antique mugs? (I've seen a few on eBay). Are there contemporary razors made in the vintage style, or should I just buy a vintage razor and use that? I found a site called "Country Joe's" that has some neat looking vintage razors at reasonable prices. I tried to e-mail him to ask if blades can be found easily for most of them, but it bounced (not a good sign). I also found a site that makes contemporay safety razors in vintage style, but they're twice as much and I don't know where they're made. I'm not touching anything made in China! Recommendations? Sorry, but I'm not brave enough to try straight razors.

Brinybay said:
I want to "upgrade" from disposables and aerosol to vintage safety razors, shaving soap with the mug, brush and whole bit. Question is where to get the stuff? Should I get antique mugs? (I've seen a few on eBay). Are there contemporary razors made in the vintage style, or should I just buy a vintage razor and use that? I found a site called "Country Joe's" that has some neat looking vintage razors at reasonable prices. I tried to e-mail him to ask if blades can be found easily for most of them, but it bounced (not a good sign). I also found a site that makes contemporay safety razors in vintage style, but they're twice as much and I don't know where they're made. I'm not touching anything made in China! Recommendations? Sorry, but I'm not brave enough to try straight razors.
Classic Shaving has an inexpensive Feather brand Double Edge Shaver you could try.

Vintage brushes are often in bad condition and aren't worth buying usually. Also stear clear of wooden handle brushes, they often crack or loose the knot.

Vintage mugs are pretty cool but you have to balance cost with what you'd want design wise.

For those with an interest:
In straight razors there is a short list of new makers that are quality and they tend to be big bucks. If you see a new one and it is cheap, chances are it is from Pakistahn and not worth the money as they won't hold an edge. Vintage straights are do-able but you need to watch out for some stuff:
1) blade must not be nicked-some can be fixed many can't and it's a lot of work.
2)Blade must be tight in handle-loose means cuts and accidents.
3) handle (scales) must be in good condition
4)avoid blades that have any blued areas from heat. Means polished until hot and lost tempering, can't be sharpened.
5) Learn what brands are good, most are but some are sought out over others.

Straights take knowledge to use which you learn as you go. You need strop and sharpening stones to keep shave sharp and that takes knowledge and ability. Doing honing or stropping wrong ruins the edge for shaving.

Trying to shave with a dull blade will trun you off really fast.

Brinybay

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Vintage brushes are often in bad condition and aren't worth buying usually. Also stear clear of wooden handle brushes, they often crack or loose the knot.

No problem there, I wasn't keen on the idea of a brush that someone else has used, kinda like using someone else's toothbrush, gross!

John in Covina said:
Vintage mugs are pretty cool but you have to balance cost with what you'd want design wise.

Yup. There was an awesome looking one from late 1890s on eBay that easily went way over what I was willing to spend, especially considering that I factor in the shipping cost in the total of what I want to spend.

John in Covina said:
For those with an interest:
Vintage straights are do-able but you need to wattch out for some stuff:
Trying to shave with a dull blade will trun you off really fast.

So will cutting your throat! :kick: hehe, just kidding, thanks for the reference and good tips!

Shaving mugs.

For shave mugs, you might look at Burma Shave mugs as there are still NOS (New Old Stock) around and they are a real hold over to earlier times as one of the most famous of shaving soaps. I believe Burma Shave is now no more so all of the NOS stuff is going to disappear at some point. I got 2 bars of the soap.

Another mug of note are the Old Spice mugs, there are several time periods so the designs are different but again an oldie that many recognize.
I have one but it's cracked so displaying only.

Seaforth is an old brand of gentlemen's grooming accessories.

In the 1890's styles, the mugs that show professions are usually the most expensive add to it popular themes like trains and the mug can go for $$$!

Barberrania stuff can be expensive.

Modern stuff, the Col. Conk mug with the knob handle works well for me.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The Burma Shave mugs are very handsome, but not as good as the Old Spice mugs for actually building a lather. My OS mugs get used for soaps, while the Burma is holding fountain pens.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Old Spice mugs

Yup, the milk glass ones are some favorites, the very first series didn't have ribs inside to keep th soap from spinning round, but all after that did, I believe. They are low and wide, similar to a ramekin in shape, and work well for lathering right on the soap.

BTW, I just picked up a bunch of vintage Gillette adjustable razors. As soon as I get them cleaned up, I will be selling some of them. If anyone is looking for something in particular email me at deaconkc@mchsi.com or pm me.
shaving008.jpg

Burmashave004.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two weeks ago, I was in Venice, and I picked up an Omega shave brush. What a perfect brush! Nice firm, but soft bristle and excellent craftsmanship.

I'm still using Williams shave soap. I like witch hazel.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
+1 on Omega!
I've got an Omega Badger Brush I love. Nice big handle and is a great brush! Their plant is in Venice? We are thinking of going to Italy next year with Venice being one of the stops. I will HAVE to see the plant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael