Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

buelligan

One of the Regulars
You guys are all way to modern for me I learned my technique from Fred Flintstone, Just put a bumble bee in a clam-shell and shave away. lol

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
The ONLY way I shave is with a DE razor and soap and brush. I’ve been doing it that way for about 5 years now and imo it is far superior to the modern razors today. J There are lots of different types to choose. But I use a Parker razor and Personna blades made right here in the good ol USA. J Then I may use some aftershave by Jade East, or Old Spice or maybe Musgo Real balm. J

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
So.... I'm considering getting into shaving again with a safety razor. Many years ago I used to shave with disposable razors, but finally got fed up with nicking my neck and the bloody spots and all that. So I switched to using an electric razor. It is quick and no neck cuts. But, unfortunately as I've gotten older, I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the electric razor cause it has less and less shaved me close enough to feel smooth even immediately after I'm done.

All that to say, I'm considering going back to shaving with a regular razor. Any suggestions before I go sinking $75 bucks or so into a quality shaving kit?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I never got a decent shave with an electric razor. Lots of my friends love it, but not me. I dunno…it just doesn’t work well for me.
Here’s a link to an article that I read when I made the switch. It has excellent information. J
http://www.artofmanliness.com/category/dress-grooming/shaving/

This is probably the best link on the topic though. J
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

This is an excellent website that features articles about a whole variety of isses relating to men. I read it religiously. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Some suggestions I’d make:

If you really want to have a nice shaving experience, splurge and buy a badger hair brush.

Silvertip is probably the finest. Boar bristles are just uncomfortable to me. I should mention that ‘Tweezerman’ makes a fine shaving brush that wont break the bank.

Buy quality shaving soap. Taylor of Old Bond Street, and D.R. Harris are two very good brands. I get em off the internet. You can probably find it at amazon.com.

Buy good razors. After years of trying different brands, I like an American brand called Personna. I think hospitals use this and you can also find em on the net. J

Unless you are the man of steel you are probably going to want to buy some aftershave. There are many to choose from. I’m old school and use Lucky Tiger, Jade East, Old Spice, etc. But when I really want a treat I enjoy Musgo Real balm. Cools the fire quickly.
e7012ff15acf08f3f1bd510066c7f765.jpg
th
th

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
My big investment was a Merkur Futur. Feels real solid in your hand and gives a close shave. Astra superior stainless have been treating me pretty good and you can get 100 on evilbay for about 18 bucks free shipping. Taylors and Truefitt&Hill are pretty slick soaps. Boar bristle doesn't hold much lather but you can always upgrade. Your best investment will be prep time. Don't paint your puss with shaving cream. Take the time to work the lather with your hand to soften your beard and you can almost shave with a pocket knife....... almost

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Yeah that's a good start. I use that razor. Remember that once you buy the razor, that's your main investment but it'll last for decades. When you get a chance, I noticed to the right of that page is a DE razor blade sampler pack. I would also advise getting that and trying the various blades. That way you can decide the right blade for you. :)

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
Just to toss this out there. If you're just trying to get started and don't want to make a huge investment, you can get a decent but nothing special safety razor from WalMart for about $20, or online from WhippedDog.com for about $16. They aren't a Merkur, but a Honda aint a Maserati- both will drive you down the road competently. You can get a starter kit at WalMart also that includes a boar brush, a mug, and some soap from Van DerHagen for less than $20. If you enjoy trolling around the 'Bay, you can find all of these things for reasonable prices too, but since you can get worthwhile soap for a couple dollars at virtually any store with a shaving supplies section, there isn't much point in ordering it online unless you have something specific you're looking for. When you come to that river, I highly recommend Shaving Yeti soaps. You can use a regular coffee mug for your lather mug, but a shallower one will be easier to work with than a deep one. Of all my shaving brushes, which includes one badger brush, the $3 Burma Shave boar brush I started with is still the nicest to work with. It has a velvety smooth feel to the tip, but enough backbone to work up a lather in a heartbeat and then apply it to my face with ease. The thing that often throws people with badger brushes is that they are very floppy compared to the boar brushes.

In any case, what I'm getting at is you can get enough to get started for less than $50, see if you like it and make upgrades to what you feel like as you go. You don't have to try to build Rome in one day...;)

hatguy1

One Too Many
I visited my local barber supply store (buy local when I can) over lunch. Picked up a Mehaz Double-Edge Safety Razor and some blades to start out with. Recommended I try that with some Nivea shave cream and see how I like the shave. Not a bad investment. ($35 or so. sure beats $80.)

If I like this and continue I can always move into the badger hair brush, mug and more upscale shaving soap.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
That's more like it, although I would have my reservations about the Nivea shave cream. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to get a decent lather without a brush, even from top quality shave soaps or creams in a tube. Don't try to use anything from an aerosol can with any form of wet shaving, ever. They do not provide the necessary qualities for a good shave. You'll end up nicked and or burned pretty badly.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Oh, baby. I just tried out my new Mehaz tonight. I'm sure I'll perfect my strokes but even for my first shot after a decade and a half plus of using an electric razor, I'm smoother than I've felt in eons. I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112