Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I've always shaved wet. Only tried an electric razor a couple of times long ago and didn't like the burning sensation on my face.
Through many years I used disposable or refillable shavers (i.e. gillette, wilkinson's and so on), but two years ago I decided to clean up and give a second life to a safety razor that belonged to my grand father. I have been using it on a regular basis since then (I am not a daily shave man, I prefer to let my facial hair to grow a bit before shaving, and my job is not very demanding on that matter)
But last year I decided to give a try to my -also- grand father's straight razor. The first shave was horrible. My skin looked as if i had a fight with a dozen of cats wraped in sandpaper.
I took it to a skilled knife-sharpener and he told me that this razor had never been used, it needed to be sharpened for first time to make its edge serviceable. He did so and now is my preferred shave.
Only if I need a quick shave in the morning I use the safety razor. Shaving with a straight blade is something different, you have to take it easy, make a ritual of it. It takes me 30 to 45 minutes to have a good shave. Is not as close as with a multi-blade, but is somewhat like driving a classic car. No power steering, no gps navigator, no air conditioning... but yet we like doing it.:cool:
P1080455.jpg
Here are my shaving tools. The orange cardboard container is the original of the straigh razor. Is a Spanish "Filarmonica" with a double zero edge and hollow wedge profile. It's not made anymore. The producer went out of bussiness long ago.

Braz

Familiar Face
I've almost always been a wet shaver. Tried electric twice and returned to brush/soap/razor. Yesterday was my first attempt at straight razor shaving. This is going to take some practice for sure. The right side went OK since I am naturally right handed. The left side was another story altogether. I just couldn't seem to find a comfortable way to hold the razor and still be able to see in the mirror. I ended up taking a pretty good nick out of my left jowl.

wquiles

Familiar Face
Hang in there man. Shaving with a straight razor is a very rewarding experience, but it is not that comes natural/right away. Takes a little bit of time.

Now-a-days I alternate between a really nice electric razor for work days when I am running a little late in the mornings, to a DE razor. However since I don't typically shave my face on weekends, on Monday morning I always use a straight razor for a quick shave - nothing is as efficient in removing 2-3 days of beard growth.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Apart from about six months when I first started shaving, I've always used a straight razor. And I find it very rewarding and relaxing. In my mind, the trick is just to relax and use MINIMAL PRESSURE. Just let the blade glide smoothly across your face. If the blade is sharp and the edge is smooth - the razor will do the rest, provided you've prepared yourself properly.

I've always described shaving with a straight razor a bit like buttering toast - it's smooth, gentle, gliding strokes (and it sounds remarkably similar, too!!). No aggression, no speed...slow, steady and smooth.

I have cut myself twice. Once because I was distracted, and once because my razor sliced off a pimple and I didn't even notice it until I stopped to wash the blade...it was that sharp!

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
I've actually found a straight razor cuts too close for me - I get razor burn no matter the angle or sharpness. A double-edge works just right.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I've actually found a straight razor cuts too close for me - I get razor burn no matter the angle or sharpness. A double-edge works just right.

My experience is somewhat the same. I'm sure a straight razor works for some, but a double-edge is easier to manage and maintain. My older brother is a trad barber and I still get straight razor wet shaves from him when I visit, but it's a different story when someone else is doing it for you.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I'm about to switch from cartridge to DE and I'm hoping you guys will give me some advice on some good starter kit.

I'm thinking:
Razor: Merkur 23C or Edwin Jagger DE89 (both closed comb, I have a very light beard)
Blades: Astra or Derby (a pack of 5 Derbys is included with the DE89)
Brush: Il Ceppo/HJM/Muhle (all badger but fairly affordable)
Soap: Proraso

Your advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated :)

Annie B

New in Town
I am not a gent, however, I've finally found a method that works without horrible itchiness after a day or so. I use a vintage "safety razor" with any shaving cream, or Dr. Bronners. The bit that makes the difference though is that while my legs are still damp, I use Bag Balm or petroleum jelly, or some other thick barrier cream to seal in the moisture.

Braz

Familiar Face
I'm about to switch from cartridge to DE and I'm hoping you guys will give me some advice on some good starter kit.

I'm thinking:
Razor: Merkur 23C or Edwin Jagger DE89 (both closed comb, I have a very light beard)
Blades: Astra or Derby (a pack of 5 Derbys is included with the DE89)
Brush: Il Ceppo/HJM/Muhle (all badger but fairly affordable)
Soap: Proraso

Your advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated :)
Have you seen this forum? http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php They have a section devoted to safety razors and it is a pretty friendly group.

Braz

Familiar Face
Thanks. I signed up. First DE shave this morning. Fairly smooth and no nicks. Took forever though [emoji20]

Did you get the Merkur or the Jagger? Taking forever to shave is not a bad thing. Give yourself plenty of time and treat it like a trip to the "shave spa." I do a pre-shave hot towel, spend time building a nice hot lather and pick a nice after shave lotion or balm. It is a relaxing ritual. When I am in any kind of rush I opt for the Gillette Atra.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Did you get the Merkur or the Jagger? Taking forever to shave is not a bad thing. Give yourself plenty of time and treat it like a trip to the "shave spa." I do a pre-shave hot towel, spend time building a nice hot lather and pick a nice after shave lotion or balm. It is a relaxing ritual. When I am in any kind of rush I opt for the Gillette Atra.

I got the Jagger. It came with a free pack of blades (feathers) and build quality is supposed to be better than the Merkur. It is kind of relaxing indeed. Todays shave was notably smoother and quicker than yesterdays'

Building up lather is something I need to work on. I use Prorasa soap in a bowl. It gets the job done, but it's not getting as 'foamy' as I like. Probably needs more time or water (or both) I'll keep at it and see if I get better.

Oh man, I got a wonderful vintage-shave today. The prototype-like Merkur 15c with a sharp east-german "Croma" and the wonderful Tabac Original shaving-soap. Further a nice and simple grey-bagderbrush (no silvertip!) with their highly effective massaging-effect.

And splashed with the sporty german "Hattric"-Aftershave. :D

Greeeaaat!!

JimWagner

Practically Family
I've used brush and soap most of my life. I used to use Old Spice shave soap but they quit making it years ago. Today I use Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap bought from Amazon in 12-packs.

As far as razors go I've tried pretty much all the double edge blades and razors out there and keep returning to Gillette Fusion cartridges. Yes, they are expensive. But for me nothing beats them for a fast, close, comfortable shave. I don't need to ritualize shaving - just get it done.

Truthfully, most of the time I don't even bother with the brush and soap. I just use Prell (the green stuff) shampoo in the shower for what hair I have left and my face. I get just as good a shave with that as anything else, with the added benefit of staying nice and warm under the shower.

Tinben

New in Town
I've been using a Dovo straight razor for sometime now. It does take a lot of use/practice to be efficient. My wife refuses to help me. She's scared she will slice my throat.

nidan48

New in Town
A hard rubber Marvy barbers mug I bought from Bill Marvy himself 30 years ago.
A generic badger brush I bought at the same time.
Van der Hagen shaving soap, from BBBY, cheap, lasts about a year.
Feather DE blades in a Merkur body.
Wash face, leave wet, pick up some soap on wet brush, lather on face,
wet brush, lather, get some soap etc as necessary.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I like to use “The Art of Shaving” Sandalwood products. They have good pre-shave oil, a great shave cream, and a nice aftershave balm. I also use an antique shaving mug with a very nice large silvertip badger brush that was a present from my beloved wife some years ago. I have also found that razors from “Harry’s” are brilliant. They are sharp and hold a good sharp edge for a decent amount of time. I also have an old “Rolls Razor” that is in very good shape that I was thinking of sending out to have the blades sharpened, as I can tell they are not sharp enough at present for comfortable use. (That is unless one likes the feeling of shaving with 50-grit sandpaper.)

I would offer a word to the wise about shaving brushes. It is well worth buying a very good one, as long as you are going to do what is required to properly care for it!

1. When you are done shaving be sure to clean ALL of the shaving cream out of it with warm water until you see no more suds, and only clear water.

2. Then firmly grasp the handle and vigorously tap the handle against your other hand so as to drive as much water as possible out of the brush. Rotate the brush several times ¼ of the way whilst doing this until you feel you have driven most of the water out.

3. Next take the brush briskly over a clean and dry bath or hand towel in a motion you would use as if painting.

4. Lastly suspend the brush from the handle BRISTLES DOWN so that it can dry out thoroughly. This way it will never get moldy or mildew.

If you follow these four steps, and have purchased a good brush, in all likelihood the brush will last you a lifetime. Mine is over eight years old, and is better than when I got it as it is broken in, hence softer now then when new.

I hope this will be of help for anyone interested in considering a shaving mug and brush.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Since I live in drought stricken California I have regressed to using an electric:(. But if the water table comes back I can get back into wet shaving:):):). But I use proraso and Astra blades with my old Gillette safety razor. I just need to figure out how to get the soap more foamed up. Do you need a special mug or something?

Mike

Mr. Pickett

Familiar Face
I just need to figure out how to get the soap more foamed up. Do you need a special mug or something?

Mike

Whats the current consistency? Watery?

I use an old, wide jam jar with a large hole at the top which I swirl my brush around inside. While unorthodox, I find it works quite well and after enough swirling creates a nice foam.

I also tend to submerge the jar into hot hot hot water up to half way up the glass, that way when it comes to applying the soap, it feels so lovely and warm. :D

I have an electric razor which I only use when I'm running late. Otherwise, I have a modern gilette razor alongside a chrome safety razor, which I purchased pretty cheaply on amazon. I should invest in a slightly better one soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui