Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I tried a Merkur HD on and off for 2 years and regularly cut myself. Bought a mint 1956 Gillette Superspeed much better. It's a mild shave even with a Feather blade and no blood unless I rush.

I also just found a good 1912 single edge Gem - just waiting for blades.

I think I need to find a Gillette slim adjustable - any thoughts?

My Braun electric still shaves as close but it takes longer. With a blade I can shave in under ten minutes. I would hate to take longer.

3fingers

One Too Many
Seb, I have no new DE razors, so I can't say anything about them although many seem to like them. I use a Slim adjustable every day. I have several others that are good, but I always return to the slim. As a bonus mine was produced the same quarter and year that I was. :)
I also like the Feather blades. Another favorite is the Gillette Black.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I have 8 packets of these vintage Gillette Blue blades which I found in a bric-a-brac shop. The one out of its packaging in the photo is the only one I've used as yet (I don't want to use them up because I have no more after these).

gillette-blue.jpg~original

Ronk

New in Town
I cannot use electric...just does not work well for me. Have been using different double, triple, quad, throwaways. Started a month or so ago with Harry's Razors and really like the close, smooth shave I get with it. Blades do not skid across my face (missing hairs) like department store throwaways.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have 8 packets of these vintage Gillette Blue blades which I found in a bric-a-brac shop. The one out of its packaging in the photo is the only one I've used as yet (I don't want to use them up because I have no more after these).

T
Nice find, and good for collectors, however I doubt that you would get a good shave. Those are carbon steel blades, and while very sharp when new, years of oxidation, ie corrosion on the edge will dull them while still wrapped in that original packaging. From your picture you can see some evidence of corrosion on the edge of the blade.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
Nice find, and good for collectors, however I doubt that you would get a good shave. Those are carbon steel blades, and while very sharp when new, years of oxidation, ie corrosion on the edge will dull them while still wrapped in that original packaging. From your picture you can see some evidence of corrosion on the edge of the blade.

That blade had been sitting in a razor in he bathroom (not good), but when it was unwrapped it was clean as a whistle. However, you are indeed right about the oxidisation of even wrapped blades; I've found spots even on more recent blades that have been badly stored.

One of the greatest things of life:

When you finished your great shave, because you already belong to the younger shaving-veterans, who make no more the old mistakes, since years and perfected their program and the application of nice after-shave absolutely doesn't hurt and your "mesolimbic pathway" works fine and you feel sooo good. :)

Prototypical shave:

-Merkur 15c
-an not optimal, but sharp german blade (Croma)
-average grey-badgerbrush (no silvertip), with the great "massaging in-effect"!
-Sir Irish Moos shavesoap-stick (that heavenly, creamy foam!)
-AND STILL THE BEST OLD-FASHION-AFTER SHAVE IN THE WORLD:

"TÜFF Rasierwasser"!! :D

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Went to West Virginia for some training and while there hit the local antique stores. My Gillette is in need of a thorough cleaning and lube (just need to figure out the best way). when I spotted this and thought it would make a good back up or something I can switch out with. I don't think it is the original case and it is missing one of the blade holders but for $18 and $5 for the original blades I am not to worried. Now I just need to clean it up and test it out. Has a patent date of 1912 which would support my research of that being the model number. The things weighs a ton but I have not seen pictures of in brass. I have only seen pictures of it is chrome. Maybe I have a one of a kind and it is worth thousands of $$$.:):):):) Apparently I can still get blades at the local CVS type store so I will use those over the originals.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 1,294
Last edited:
I think, the original Gillette "Blue Blades" are overrated.

And to me, the most important thing is, to produce a real creamy, perfect gliding foam, that avoids "jolting" of the blade. ;)

Epemethius

New in Town
so many choices -
Somehow I have about 10 razors and at least that many shaving soaps/creams/cans
Each morning is 10 minutes of male spa "Me Time" to select the razor, blade, soap, brush, and bowl.
It is not shaving. It is caressing my face.

Occasionally my sons enjoy being shaved. They are a bit disabled and self-shaving with any thing except an electric is a Bad Idea. It is a lovely time to connect and care for my sons. They always appreciate the finished product. Single edge wet shaving with care is superior to running a multi-blade across your epidermis.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather blades
Muhle badger brush
Proraso soap (the green one)
Nivea balm

Better than my Gilette M3 and the blades are so much cheaper.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
This morning's accoutrements:
  • Omega hog's hair brush (very old and soft now).
  • Proraso pre-shave cream.
  • Arko soap.
  • Gillette Aristocrat.
  • 4711 Kölnisch Wasser, used as aftershave.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
So I have been using my SE gem razor for a few weeks now. I have been shaving in the shower as I am there and that is a weakness of mine-a nice hot shower. I am NOT going to go back to my Gillette DE. With my gem I can actually shave every other day.

Mike

Nice prototypical shave:

-Merkur 15c
-Red Personna DE-blade
-greybadger-brush
-good old Palmolive shavesoap-stick :D
-Hattric After Shave ;)

Mmmm, sweet... :)

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I'm probably the only one here who will admit to using a disposable razor and moreover, I probably used them twice as long as I should. But they work and I rarely nick myself. But I have other razors.

I inherited my wife's grandfather's straight razor but no strop. I'm not even going to try to use it. I also have my father's safety razor along with his shaving mug and brush, none of which I use. He mentioned once that the Gillette Blue Blades were easy to cut yourself with. The brush he used was rather threadbare, in a manner of speaking. I also use a brush and shaving soap and the brush does in fact shed hair every time I use it. I wondered about that problem and experimented with using a paint brush (yes, a paint brush--a small sash brush) and it works "OK" and it doesn't shed hair. A regular shaving brush is better but not by much. Most drug stores still have shaving soap and brushes. I realize there are places that sell "fine" brushes and stuff but I'm too cheap to do anything like that. I also don't use any after shave or fragrance.

One thing I do, though, is shave everyday, meaning in particular on the weekends. It probably isn't necessary to shave everyday but by the evening I look a little rougher than I want to. So, even though I'm going to be doing dirty work all day Saturday, I'll still shave first thing in the morning, just like my father did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto