Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1050903_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

1953 Gillette president
Derby extra blade
Rooney brush
bakelite container with Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad soap

byronic

One of the Regulars
No After Shave

I used to use single blade disposables, then splash after shave all over, and would get a terrible stinging rash on my neck. I finally upgraded to a Fusion razor, but still got the rash. Eventually, for my brain works but slowly, I figured out it was the (expensive) After Shave.
Now I use moisturiser after shaving instead, and splash the scent on my chest rather than face and neck, and no problems.

P.S. Eau de Toilette seems to last longer then After Shave Cologne.

byronic said:
I used to use single blade disposables, then splash after shave all over, and would get a terrible stinging rash on my neck. I finally upgraded to a Fusion razor, but still got the rash. Eventually, for my brain works but slowly, I figured out it was the (expensive) After Shave.
Now I use moisturiser after shaving instead, and splash the scent on my chest rather than face and neck, and no problems.

In reviewing your post, if you have been shaving for quite some time now and having these problems it may point to your Shaving soap or creme not giving enough protection. Sometimes putting a drop of preshave creme or oil on the sensative areas can offset razor burn and sensativities after shaving.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Before my elbow fracture I used a cut-throat. Since then I can´t move my arm so well and now I use a simple shaver... no Mach 3000 with safety blades... I hate this stuff.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
byronic said:

The chest area is, I'm told, the best place for cologne. The body warms it up, and under your clothes there is a wicking effect. Essentially, one is a walking potpourri!

Use of cologne or (ugh) after shave on the face invariably causes a rash and/or spots. Chest all the way! I use an aftershave balm, same scent as my cologne, it is soothing.

I am looking into other products at the time, definitely doing research here in the Lounge...

magma19511951

New in Town
Old fashioned but effective shave

I use a badger brush and Mama Bear's shaving soap with a 1966 model Gillette
single edge adjustable razor. Takes a little getting used to but with practice and patience almost anyone can get a great shave with no ingrown hairs or skin irritation. Vintage Gillette razors are plentiful on Ebay as well as single edge blades in bulk for around 10 cents each. There is something very satisfying about shaving with a fifty year old high quality American made razor instead of a piece of throw away plastic made in China. If interested check out Badger and Blade, a forum for wet shaving. Jack

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
shave.jpg

A photo showing off the latest little addition to my shaving-kit - the scuttle.

People told me I couldn't use it as a lathering-bowl...but it actually works quite well in that capacity, provided you've got a small brush like I do. I use soft shaving-soap, not the old cake-soap kind, but it works just as well.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up an unscented full size kit at the Art of Shaving store in Philadelphia. Great cream, the best pre shave, very nice after balm but the brush while soft and full with great water holding properties smells like a wet dog. Really. Soaked, soaped, soaked and lathered but it persists. Good deal over all. Marked down to a C note plus a $25 coupon. I'll have to use some scented soaps to cover until the wiff of woof wanes.
Tom D.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I've been pretty fortunate. I haven't had a brush with the badger stank.

The AOS 'starter' kit is usually a pretty good bet. And it's a nice set if you're looking for a small brush with smaller product to fit in your shave bag when traveling.

From various shaving sources comes the advice for cleaning a brush - use shampoo.

If the brush is tacky or clogged from soaps, pre-shave creams or oils use a non-conditioning shampoo, other wise you can use a conditioning shampoo.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Brushes:
Shampoo is a good way to go and I have also had VERY good results with a
BORAX soak.
The stink will eventually go away, so just keep on using it.

Shave 'O today:
ShaveMac custom brush (21mm bristle / 60mm loft in Finest)
Wilkinson Sticky Razor + Brand new Feather blade :whip:
My "Semi-homemade" blend of Olive oil soap + KissMyFace Cream +Tea Tree Oil + Hydrolast clay
Aqua Velva After Shave

grundie

One of the Regulars
Since growing a beard my shaving ritual has been simplified.

I have two primary razors. An old straight razor of unknown provenance, but which is well built and easy to hone.I also have a Merkur 37c safety razor which I use with Feather blades.

The straight razor sees little action these days. I trim and tidy my beard with a Philishave trimmer and the Merkur razor. My favoured soap is Trumpers Sandalwood, but I'll use all sorts of stuff if I don't have any to hand.

Back when I did shave daily, the straight razor was preferred. The Merkur being my travel or 'ARGHHH, I'm in a hurry' razor.

I should mention that I was once asked to leave my local branch of the Body Shop when I complained that their shaving brushes weren't made from badger hair. Don't they know anything?

NDW76

New in Town
Chainsaw said:
Does anyone else shave at night? I read an article in G.q. on the matter (gives the face time to heal), and much prefer it.

Thank you RmrDaddy

I shave at night. I find it helps to calm me down before I go to bed. It also does give the skin time to heal. A few blood spots on the pillow are better than blood on your collar.

As for the disadvantages, if I shaved in the morning I would be clean shaven for longer. But I already have to get up at 0515. I don't want to get up any earlier.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
NDW76 said:
Tonight I used an old Bengall straight razor with Crabtree & evrlyn sandlewood shave cream. Shaving is my way to relax.

I've been using C & E sandlewood shaving soap for around 5 years now and wouldn't use anything else.

I was lucky and when I bought it it came in a beautiful Indian wooden shaving soap box.

Stuff lasts for ages as well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Anybody ever shave in the sauna?

Smoothest shave ever. After around 10-15 minutes the sweat and oils coming out from your pores serve to soften your beard and provide the necessary lubrication to shave against the grain with impunity, using nothing but a cheap disposable double track razor. Sadly, in recent years the practice has been banned at most clubs, bathhouses and gyms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner