Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Lokar

A-List Customer
I have two of that razor - one in silver, one in gold. It's my favourite. I also use Crabtree & Evelyn soap at the moment, although I have the Sandalwood.

Razor Man

New in Town
I have been using the updated iKon Deluxe Bulldog Open Comb. A great solid heavy stainless steel razor made in Thailand but the company is owned by an American. This morning I loaded it with a red pack Personna and used La Toja shave cream(from Spain) the brush is a Semogue 1438 boar and finished off with Spanish Floid. All I can say is BBS

WineGuy

A-List Customer
93455888.jpg

8e6b93f3.jpg

World War I USMC issue straight razor by Clauss

d4c7133a.jpg

George Wostenholm & Son Sheffield[/QUOTE]

Just got both my razors back from Lynn Abrams of the straightrazorplace forum and all I can say is WOW what a honing job. I had the greatest shave of my life this morning with my Clauss USMC which is now so keen I think my beard hairs just retracted in fear.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
WineGuy said:
I had the greatest shave of my life this morning with my Clauss USMC which is now so keen I think my beard hairs just retracted in fear.

Hahahaha!! With a razor like that, I'm not surprised!

One day...I have to get a straight-razor and kit.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Off-topic for a bit

Sorry to go off topic for a second but ... movies with shaving featured!

Watched 'North by North West' last week. There's a part where Cary Grant is hiding on a train and needs to shave so as not to stand out

He manages to steal a lady's safety razor on the train which is only about an inch wide. He goes to the bathroom at the station and lathers up so as to disguise himself from the bad guys and starts shaving with this tiny razor. The guy next to him at the mirror is using this huge cut throat. The guy with the cutthroat just looks at him and shakes his head.

Razor envy :)

Then there's 'The Color Purple' after Celie finds that the Danny Glover character (Mister) has been withholding the letters from her sister. His second wife walks over asking where Celie is and the young girl says "She's fixing to shave Mister".

She runs like hell toward the house and arrives just in time to find Celie holding the cutthroat up, just about to slash it down on his neck. She grabs her hand at the last second

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I usually shave with one of my numerous straight razors (my favorites are a restored W&B, a Boker, and a Claus) using one of three badger brushes (favorite is Badger & Blade 2009 limited edition) and T&H soaps(Marlborough and Yardley are favorites though Tabac is also a favorite). When in a hurry though, I have been known to use my fat boy set on 3.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Need some advice...

I'm about out of shave soap. I can only find Surrey Deluxe locally. Should I order something like Dr. Conk's online? I really want something with a Bay Rum scent, and there is absolutely nothing available locally.

You'll probably gave to go online. Out this way i have seen shaving soaps and creams at cutlery shops that have razors, high end department stores, Trader Joes TJ brand, and some barber & beauty supply shops.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
57plymouth said:
Need some advice...

I'm about out of shave soap. I can only find Surrey Deluxe locally. Should I order something like Dr. Conk's online? I really want something with a Bay Rum scent, and there is absolutely nothing available locally.

Did you say Bay Rum???? Ogallala is where you should be looking, All Bay Rum, All the time!

This is the bathroom cabinette I put up to hold my shaving stuff. Here are various mugs, soaps, creams, balms and razors. I used the Merker mostly since I can strop but can't hone my straight razors. They're on hold until I give it a nother try. (I was able to hone a Henkels half inch straight but my collection go from 5/8's to 8/8's and those i can't get sharp enough, yet.)

shave001.jpg

Some aftershaves and scents with left over stuff goes in this one.

shave002.jpg

Tripnastic

New in Town
I use a Gilette super speed safety razor with Williams shaving soap and a boar hair brush. My pre shave ritual takes a while and my wife is always making fun of me for it. It's worth it if you're prone to skin irritation like I am!

That's a pretty good article covers the basics well. This information is out there but the shaving customer rarely finds out about wetshaving. I have soaps and find that the glycerine based ones are quite good but I find that Burma Shave soap applied with a badger brush works increadibly well. I have creams in tubs and tubes and all I have tried are pretty super for shaving so it's a matter of choice as to scent mostly. For some the cool tingle of menthol in the lather from Proraso or Musgo Real is a treat, I like it as a change of pace not the daily choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner