Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Bouncer

New in Town
green papaya said:
I just use a disposable double blade razor & Barbasol shave cream

Pretty much the same thing since I was 14 years old. Still use a dash of Old Spice after shave to freshen things up.

Witch Hazel after a hair cut. Well, when I had hair. lol

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I just bought a Merkur model 178, and was I shocked at the smallness of the handle but surprisingly this was an added benefit to my shave, as I could manipulate the razor more while shaving (my beard I swear has a different grains depending on the areaof my face)

I had a smooth shave but I can tell this will require some getting used to.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
A couple of presidents...

P1050972_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I found what looks to be the same razor in gold tone. No case but it gives me one of the best shaves.
Tom D.

JackLondon

New in Town
My Set

I use a Truefitt & Hill Regency razor with Feather blades. I like the weight of this razor and the feather blades are super sharp. Right now I'm using the Crabtree & Evelyn shave cream, but I often use the 1805 from Truefitt. I've also found "The Real Shaving Co." make s a shave cream with an almost identical fragrance to the 1805 and costs 1/6 the price. Bay rum is the only after shave product I use. I love the smell.
P1030045.jpg

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I use a cattaraugus green lizard razor(most of the time, every now and then I'll use my Dovo), Kiehl's close shavers lite flite on a brush and Burberry aftershave.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Pics from the night I snagged it at auction for next to nothing, before I cleaned it up. Funnily, it didn't need honing, a quick strop and some polishing on the corrosion and it was ready to go.
2010-06-20204723.jpg

2010-06-20204755.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Bouncer said:
Pretty much the same thing since I was 14 years old. Still use a dash of Old Spice after shave to freshen things up.

Witch Hazel after a hair cut. Well, when I had hair. lol

Bouncer, very cool avatar from Stray Dogs! (Nothing to do with shaving, I admit...)

apad

New in Town
Evening gents. I created an account just so I could post in this thread. I recently got tired of paying $20 for a pack of 3 blades and decided to do some research into shaving systems of yore. I then entered a state of discovery and transition which saw me learn way more about shaving as a skill than I thought possible.

Needless to say I bought way too much gear, but I had so much fun figuring out how to use it all. Here then are a few pictures of the loot.

Here we have the shave den after just starting out. Lots of learning tools here. This conglomeration has been trimmed down substantially over time.
011.jpg

Of course, I wanted to try everything, so I needed a straight as well. I ended up not going with this as my main system.
20090603_dovo_tort_03.jpg

And here is a detail pic of the DE razors chorus line fashion.
001.jpg

From left to right, they are...

1) Merkur 34C Heavy Duty 2008
2) Merkur Long Handle Slant Bar 39C 2009
3) Gillette Slim H4 1962
4) Gillette Adjustable (Fat Boy) E1 1959 <-- this ended up being my go to guy
5) Gillette Super Speed Red Tip B1 1956 <-- my current travel razor

In the end, I felt most comfortable with the Gillette Fat Boy at a setting of 7, the Personna red (Israeli) blades, Kiss My Face Lime shaving cream, a super silvertip badger brush, and the Dominica Bay Rum Lime aftershave.

For travel I use a 4$ brush from the corner drugstore, Proraso shave cream, the Gillette Red Tip, an assortment of blades (I like some variety while away from home), and a bottle of aftershave from the local dollar store. All tucked away in a large wooden cigar box of course. :)

I have many more pictures, knowledge, and stories. So if anyone has any questions, fire away. And thanks for allowing me to share in such a glamorous community!

Feraud

Bartender
Does anyone else like the Old Spice lime shaving cream?
I had a really good shave with it last night using this cream with a Gillette old type razor. Finished off with some witch hazel and I was good to go.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Apad, and welcome to the Fedora Lounge! A fine selection and collection of shaving equipment that you have there. There's dozens of photos of shaving-equipment here on this thread, take your time to sift through them and enjoy them. I know I have!

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
apad, I use a Merkur 34C as my travel razor for shorter trips/ trips where I don't feel like checking a bag. It has a nice weight and just enough handle to get the grip I need.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I found some cool toys on craigslist today...these items belonged to a gentleman who died 10 years ago, per his daughter...
1. shaving mug with "Old Spice" name and logo on it
2. vintage shaving brush, tan bristles
3. red cardboard box that reads, on top SCHICK INJECTOR RAZOR WITH 20 BLADES. And on the bottom TWENTY YEAR GUARANTEE, etc, MAGAZINE REPEATING RAZOR COMPANY BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT
4. one Schick Injector razor, goldtone with tan bakelite handle, soap scum but otherwise intact
5. one packet of injector blades

I paid $10 for the whole shebang...

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
davestlouis said:
I found some cool toys on craigslist today...these items belonged to a gentleman who died 10 years ago, per his daughter...
1. shaving mug with "Old Spice" name and logo on it
2. vintage shaving brush, tan bristles
3. red cardboard box that reads, on top SCHICK INJECTOR RAZOR WITH 20 BLADES. And on the bottom TWENTY YEAR GUARANTEE, etc, MAGAZINE REPEATING RAZOR COMPANY BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT
4. one Schick Injector razor, goldtone with tan bakelite handle, soap scum but otherwise intact
5. one packet of injector blades

I paid $10 for the whole shebang...

Have I mentioned how much I hate you lately, you lucky dog :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner